Renoise midi file problem

Is there a problem with Renoise regarding midi files?

When I import a midi file into FL Studio with only chords in it I get all the chords.

When loading that midi file into Renoise I get only 1 note per chord on screen.

Does anyone know a solution?

Have you activated the other columns?
(in a column the notes cannot overlap, so it loads one of them, or potentially it could load them all but one after the other and it is not the result you are looking for. If you don’t know how to activate the other columns, since I don’t have the computer in front of me at the moment, I’ll give you a silly alternative technique which however works, record a random chord, the columns are activated automatically, delete the chord and load what you want.)

What’s your version? In terms of MIDI import there was a problem in 3.4.2, and maybe also in 3.4.1, but it was fixed in 3.4.3. You can also check here and here. Make sure you’re running Renoise 3.4.3 or an older version like 3.3.

Thanks this works! I didn’t check for a new Renoise version.
Would you also know when using SID2MIDI how I can get the notes of the arpeggios in Renoise?

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it. What TNT sent works.
Would you know when using SID2MIDI how I can get the notes of the arpeggios in Renoise?

This is stuff I’ve never used, surely TNT or someone else has the answer

Not sure if that’s possible. It’s been more than a decade when I used SID2MIDI the last time and I remember that the results in terms of MIDI files were far from perfect. I checked this version (0.17.8) today and arpeggios are completely missing in the MIDI file, just like they’re not part of the original SID. SID2MIDI was released in 2001 and the version number tells us that it’s not a finished product, and as far as I know there’s no finished version. I guess you will have to identify the arpeggio notes by ear. But if you manage to somehow get those notes through MIDI into Renoise, just let me know. I’d be interested, too. Maybe there’s a newer version that works better somewhere, but I wouldn’t bet on it. I believe 0.17.8 is the latest version. :slightly_smiling_face:

OK. No problem.

OK. I agree. Could it be that be changing a MIDI option the notes of the arpeggios can be read?
OK I’ll let you know. Yes that’s very probably the latest version. :slight_smile:

I don’t think so, there’s nothing that indicates that.
s2m
And as I said, I’m not sure if it’s technically possible. As far as I know often only the first note will be shown, but not the arpeggiated notes. Probably @sidwave could tell you more. But of course you can try anyway. Possibly there’s another (newer) sid to midi converter (from another developer) availbale, but I couldn’t find a download link. However, if you can’t figure it out, think about converting the SID to wave first, then slow down the wave file and check the notes by ear. That’s a common method for C64 remixers if they’re having a hard time figuring out the notes.

OK. Will ask Jan. Thanks for the tip! BTW: Nice Ikari intro RMX you did on SC!

1 Like

Neh, Joachim…
SID writes are unpredictable, they consist of wavetables and effects.
inside the wavetable can be pitchbends and waveform changtes that make up drums and arps.
there is no sid to midi converter that can predict sensible midi data from this, and split it out to tracks.

AFAIK all the best remixes are done by ear and skill

editing a half assed midi file to 2024 super sound quality with vst, is a long hard process, that only madmen do these days :slight_smile:

anyhow, what you got there, sid2midi by michael schwendt, is the best tool that exists.
i think if you really know a tune inside, its not so hard to put it into your daw - patience is all about the love and passion for the tune, then you dont notice the 12 hours at work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! If you’re interested in getting the MP3, you can grab it right here on remix.kwed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Absolutely! :+1:

OK! Thanks for your reply Jan! :slight_smile:

K! Thx! Also like your LN2 Basement RMX! :slight_smile:

Ah, that old one. I think I’ve made those remixes from 2011 still on SkaleTracker, that’s a FastTracker clone and just like SID2MIDI it’s an unfinished piece of software. Only samples were used in those tracks and i didn’t master, that’s almost the opposite of what I do today in Renoise. I was thinking about a remake of the Basement remix, because the SID is one of my favorite SIDs ever and my 2011 remix could be improved in any case. On the other hand, Matt Gray himself already has released the perfect remakes of the OST. So in theory there’s no need for anyone to remix The Last Ninja 2 ever again. :wink:

OK. I have all Reformation music of Matt. Ref 5 should have been released last October but I heard
Matt has some personal problems at the mo. He’s a great remixer. You have a point there or you should
do it even better! :slight_smile: