There are some threads dealing with Piano Roll and Arranger etc. We can discuss and think a lot of different things regarding those, but either way Pattern Matrix is a feature that already exist and I believe the next logical step would be a more practical Pattern Matrix!
I saw this has been discussed before as well in an older thread which died out, but I thought I could start a new one.
Don’t get me wrong though, the Pattern Matrix is better than nothing but I believe this could be more intuitive somehow. In short, it’s hard - if not impossible - to get a full overview of the entire project and do rough edits with the blocks.
Sorry if I’ve totally missed something, but here is what you can do now as far I’m concerned:
- It appears to be some kind of Zoom-feature already, but the differences between the largest and the smallest view doesn’t seem to be that comprehensive?
- After you’ve zoomed out to max you can also drag the Pattern Matrix around to it’s maximum size manually as a window. Then you’ll see 10-15 patterns Vertically - corresponding around 1 min music (for example 40 hex-lines per pattern - 125 BPM)
- Sure, you can of course hide Lower and Higher Frames as well, then you’ll get a view of like 20 patterns corresponding 2,5-3 min music (with the same above criteria as an example).
- Horizontally you end up with roughly 30 tracks if you’re hiding the sidebar too, which is OK but could be better.
- Nonetheless, let’s say I was happy with this view… It’s too much of a hassle to even get that ”semi-full view” by dragging the window and hiding things back and forth.
- Also, the track names are barely visible which makes the whole idea of the Pattern Matrix fall a bit flat, because you end up watching a bunch of blocks and you then must scroll in the Pattern Editor to just get a grip of what line of blocks belongs to which instrument.
- At this moment after the window-stretching the Pattern Editor-Window is too small anyway.
And now on to my thoughts. I’m not saying I have some ultimate solution here, and my pictures are not very pleasant - just rough ideas are presented. See the whole thing more as some seed for inspiration. So here we go:
What I CAN do, as it seems, is to drag the Track Scopes to a quite big size. Track Scopes are cool, but why not have a Pattern Matrix-tab there, like this:
(Perhaps small track scopes could be visible as well)
Or… More preferably it should be a bigger view, perhaps a tab next to Sample, Midi etc:
And, why not making it an attachable Pattern Matrix?
Perhaps this could be done with a horizontal AND vertical view, no matter how it turns out. The horizontal view could be handy to get a better overview of the whole song form start to finish AND to show/edit Track names. In one of the pictures I also presented a subidea to write some quick notes on each track (and the whole song, even if that’s already possible in some other way).
Last but not least, a better zoomability. I think there are plenty of room no matter what, to have much smaller blocks to get a more global overview.
2015-07-12: Did minor edits to the post.