Automation Envelopes Based On ...

Eyyo,

I often use a filter-vst on a beat or bass track and automate its cutoff according to the hit/note placement in the pattern editor. So for example; every time there is a note event in the pattern editor, the cut-off envelope is at the top (100%) and one step before the next event, the envelope is at the bottom (0%) of the automation window. Think multiple ‘shark fin’ shapes.

It would be cool if these shapes could be automatically drawn in by the press of a button/converted according to the note placement in the pattern editor.

Some kind of tool that lets you set up the minimum or maximum values for the envelope point where a note is detected and a minimum or maximum value point just before the next event.

Grts,

R

Is the keytracking device not of any use here?

Does the key-tracking device draw in automation data? :)

It doesn’t but there ain’t much things that you can do per line in automation either. You have the interpolation of the amount of ticks settled, up till the next line, which is the only advantage you have.
If that is what you need, then forget my suggestion :)

The advantage for me would be; a significant workflow boost in speed, losing the necessity to enter and look through the pattern editor and click automation points in accordingly to the programming.

The automated process of analyzing the pattern editor content / (sequencer)selection and be able to translate all note events to envelope values with a certain decay/ramp factor by the flick of a button is what I’m asking for. Didn’t even think about the key-tracking device to do similar things, so thanks for the tip!

Every time you hit a note? Why not use a Key/Velocity Tracking Device and an LFO with Custom waveform?

Yeah, this is what I do all the time.

This would be fine if the space between each note/event was exactly the same each time, but not if there were variations in the note structure. Assuming Jonas wants the automation to always be at maximum when a note hits, and always be at minimum just before the next note, then the LFO length will also have to be adjusted to make the curve fit each time. Still totally doable, but it does require a little extra legwork, which is obviously what he’s trying to avoid.

@Jonas: For what it’s worth, I started doodling a script after reading this thread the other night. I did get something basic working quite quickly, but in its current form I’m not sure how useful it would be, since it only creates automation within the same track and note column that contains the notes. I’m guessing you probably want something a lot more flexible, with an interface that lets you select where to pull notes from, where to dump the automation curves to, etc.

Anyway… I’ll try to iron out some of the bugs and post a little script here for you later on.

1 Like

You’re right, I slightly mis-read his first post. Knew he couldn’t be overlooking something that simple.

You could use another track, in it have a constant tone and a signal follower. Either note off/note on or pattern effect volume commands to get the changes. Not sure if that;s much less work than doing in it automation but at least you would always see it right next to the notes that you want the effect with.

Edit:

I’ve created a dedicated thread for this tool:

[quote=“dblue, post:9, topic:30860”]
@Jonas: Give this a try…

Attachment 1536 not found.
man, i just cannot believe you sometimes. someone comes up with an idea, and you’re like ‘maybe i could throw something together’, and next thing we know there’s a working script. i swear to god, people like you are proof of the coolness of Renoise LUA scripting.

Cheers mate! :D

What can I say… I like solving problems and losing myself in an interesting task for a few hours, and naturally I enjoy helping out fellow Renoisers whenever possible. If I see a problem or feature request that I think I can figure out myself, then I’ll usually just give it a shot. I normally have Renoise running all day anyway, to experiment with DSP chains, to test my own VST plug-ins, etc., so scribbling down some basic scripts is not a big deal either.

It’s just too much fun goofing around in Renoise! I just wish I could apply the same level of enthusiasm to my other projects like Glitch, haha.

1 Like

Perhaps you can combine your Lua fun with your Glitch backlog by improving this one:
http://tools.renoise.com/tools/drum-processor

Feckin’ hell m8! I’m gone from this forum for a few seconds and booooom, Dblue ftw! :) Thnx this is exactly what I was looking for!

Yep, this :)

Dude, it is super useful in its current state!

Another thing that could be useful for a future update, is a third slider that sets some kind of decay time, maybe? So a max setting would give the results as seen now, and a smaller setting would make the envelope die out faster, relative to when the next note hits. You hopefully get what I mean :)

This!

There should be a donate button on the Renoise forum for script wizzards.

I found the button!

v1.02 Update: (Available in the earlier post)

The tool now has Curve and Decay parameters for extra tweaking. Let me know if this is closer to what you had in mind.

Wow this is incredible dblue. B)

Hell yeah, I’m gonna try and find out how to set up a paypal account, look into if I can use the Dutch ‘Ideal’ system to transfer some beer money! :)

Oh yeah B) very cool!

+1! keep up the good work!

looks good,i am not in front of the computer the next 3 days,but think this will be great for basslines (and of course more)

Hope, I’m not to bold introducing a ‘last’ request ;) , an option to somehow be able to interpolate between min/max values over the pattern length(selection?), so for example you can have the shark-fins gradually increase or decrease in amplitude within the automation window! By the way, the tool as it is now is already proofing much more useful then simple cutoff automation, the speed with which you can fill/draw in the dots for multiple parameters and make variations for all kind of effects is uber-win!