Dead Dog'S Renoise Competition Round 13

yeah, i ran into that problem too. i usually work at 360bpm and lines 8.

that’s mainly why I will abuse of “render selection to sample”

Hehe, me too, I usually start at 140 and 12, the arpeggio command didn’t make any sense to me without TheBellows’ explanation. Thanks!

And also once again thanks to kazakore, this competition makes me learn so much – I would never have the discipline to do that on my own. I highly recommend participating (or at least lurking) here to any renoise noob. DL the sample packs, DL the xrns results, study examples how things can be done. And have fun trying new stuff, like the arpeggio command… Et cetera… ;)

definitely. in fact, i make it a point to recommend joining this compo to each noob looking for advice, simply because you learn so much by doing, and this compo has a very low entry-level (‘just make something out of these sounds, using Renoise’ - 9 out of 10 times) and because of the mandatory samples and stuff forces you to think in different ways.

also, recently i thought about what i’d do if i could set the rules (been competing for so many rounds and still haven’t won!), and i figured probably one of the best things would be to do a mandatory Renoise feature, specifically one that you suspect is not used by many people. that way, there’s winners on both sides: the contestant wins by gaining new experience with the software, and the developers win because people will start to appreciate and use more of their software (even more so because this compo allows for demo-users to join in).

now, for me, the weekend has landed and i will start exploring the arpeggio command!

I have been tracking whole day now and like Ed Wood says: “That’s a wrap!”

i’ve almost finished Beatles Rock Band in Career Mode today, Hard. then, at 22.00, i went for a walk with the dogs. came home, took a leak, rolled one up (for the uninitiated, that means “smook s’m f’cknnnnn wiiieed”); - then went a-trackin’. mugs are whistling around my head, but no worries, the headphones are on so they cannot hurt my ears.
now then.
i’ve got some - goddamn MUG ON MY NOSE!!!1!11!!#!1!!#1!!!

i’ve got some cool stuff going here, but i need to use the arpeggio-command. the BPM is fighting with the arpeggio-command, and i desperately want both. but the arpeggio-command is a little bitch who won’t go any damn faster, so i tried doing, i don’t know, a ‘sweep’ (so 128 lines of random arpeggio-code). sounded ok, i decided i wanted to try it more gradual, so i tried interpolating.

did not work.

posted this bug-report: https://forum.renoise.com/t/interpolate-arpeggio-command/32298

but, as you can clearly read there, this is intended behaviour, and it sucks, whether vV will see any value in my methods, or try to steal as you should with awesome ideas like that, or whether not.
however, this being the famed Dead Dog Renoise Competition (in its 13th round no less!), i decided i should learn from all the crap i need to deal with in life, and do what kazakore (the equally famed inventor of this magnificent competition) would do. improvise.

anyway, the rest is history, and i’ve been almost typing more than i have been tracking now, so i really should get moving. great samplepack, great rules, i still have to listen to your winning entry, but i believe you have deserved it effdeekaa.

Random code has never done it for me in the arpeggio compartment, what i do to make it sound smoother is to take the last digit code in one line and use it as the first one in the next line.
Like in this example:
c4 0037
… 007c
… 00c7
… 0073
… 0037
… 007c
… 00c7
… 0073

Random is for lazy people! :P

hey, good one, hadn’t thought of doing it that way. will try that one out tonight, after i get home from the Queensday festivities here in Holland.

It may work, but it’s not magic that will automatically make the arpeggio sound better though.
One other thing that may improve the sound is to use digits (tones) that harmonizes with each other.
Also, keeping the numbers low will also make a smoother sound.

One of my favorite combinations is very simple:

etc.

Use some nice looping waveform, add some shift distortion and try it at 140bpm beat 8. Adding an automated filter makes it sound quite good i think. :)

Another trick is extensive use of the f1xx (lines/beat) command, speed down to make the arpeggio go slower, then speed up to get back into rythm or just go wild with the beats.

Cheers! :badteethslayer:

maybe a bit of inspiration for you guys… atleast if you are beginners when it comes to music theory. (=

what you wrote above is

1. an interval of 3 semi tones which is a minor third
  2. an interval of 7 semi tones which is a perfect fifth
    root + minor third + perfect fifth makes it a minor chord/triad. http://en.wikipedia…iki/Minor_chord

with three notes you can make triads http://en.wikipedia…i/Triad_(music) and below are the most common ones:

• Major triads contain a major third and perfect fifth interval, symbolized: R 3 5 (or 0-4-7 as semitones) play (help·info) - minor triads contain a minor third, and perfect fifth, symbolized: R ♭3 5 (or 0-3-7) play (help·info) - diminished triads contain a minor third, and diminished fifth, symbolized: R ♭3 ♭5 (or 0-3-6) play (help·info) - augmented triads contain a major third, and augmented fifth, symbolized: R 3 ♯5 (or 0-4-8) play (help·info)

Well, never made a song before, but I think it’s about time for me to do that instead of just mucking around in Renoise.

That’s an excellent idea! :)

And an excellent training! I learned a lot since the first ddrc!do it!

Yeah do it, and thank you for the tips guys!

done! had to break away from my usual tracking times (weekends), and finish the track tonight because i had too busy a weekend to complete it then. tomorrow is my wife’s birthday so no tracking for me that night either. i really like the result, curious to hear what others have come up with, and really good to see so many ‘newcomers’ joining in!

Good amount of entries in so far, can we hope for a couple more before close of play on Thursday? ;)

pfeewwww i only saw this thing yesterday evening around 10! lucky for me i was high on 3 liters of coffee. and had some lemonade with that so sugar enough to keep killin’ it until far past midnight. i’m done now, i’m far from happy with the result :P, but anyway, i have to sleep a bit now.

what everyone says!! learning a bit about how the arpeggio command works, especially, and the pitch slide commands as well. and who to thank for the great sample pack :D is it usable in other projects? the pack had me so damn inspired that i had to use almost every instrument in there. that’s why my (overly unoptimised) .xrns is 11mb. Anyway i’m dyin to see what the others made. i started with the samples alphabetically :P and began building some breakcore type stuff. then i thought, NO. that’s not my style :P. so yeah somewhere tomorrow we can all hear the creations?

looks like a good turnout

it all depends on kazakore, how busy he is at work, how many parties he has to go to and come home too wasted to do anything, and how often his computer, OS, harddisk, usb-stick and/or FTP server miserably fails on him. after he has overcome all those things for the 100th time this year, after he has again crawled through that technological dirt he has come to know so intimately, be sure that he will, eventually, somewhere in the near future, have an upload of all our combined efforts ready.

A lot of contestants! My ass will be beat once again.