Drag MIDI into Pattern (and/or Matrix)

Hello.

I’d like to be able to drag & MIDI clips to import them at specific points in a pattern, to ease the workflow of the EZDrummer VSTi (see vid & annotation)

Considerations:

• What if the pattern matrix cell is not empty? -
    Paste over ?
    Warn with ok/cancel ?
  • What if the clip is longer then the remainder of the pattern (they’re not all 1 bar, though examples were by chance)
    Cut clip at end of pattern ?
    Overwrite following patterns ?
    Pop up choice ? (warning how many lines still to go ?)

Edit : Youtube annotations are no longer a thing so RIP whatever I said in them. get the idea though.

Yeah! Today I have problems to with sonic charge microtonic. In multichannel renoise add new midi Chanels in browser and new patterns.

Completely agree!

the MIDI import for single channel stuff should really drop where you drop it!

I think dialog popups as mentioned could be useful for over-runs: [Cancel] vs [Import To New End Pattern].

Maybe the current behaviour could be put in the file menu as: “Import MIDI file at end of Song” so you always have it as an option for multi-track/ saved MIDI files

I had a similar eh? moment as mentioned here when I first tried it:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/changed-b3-import-midi-places-the-notes-in-random-places/44496

It would be neat if you could drag midi clips into phrases (maybe you can, I’ve not done any midi stuff yet)

It would be neat if you could drag midi clips into phrases (maybe you can, I’ve not done any midi stuff yet)

It seems that dragging onto a phrase will just do a standard import to the patter editor; agree with your suggestion

+1 !!

Problem with this, in general, is that a dropped MIDI file may contain more than just a bunch of notes, it may be a full song with several tracks and instruments,MIDI CC automation, tempo automation and stuff.

Dragging this into a single matrix block or single phrase does not make much sense. So we decided to use what always works: replacing the entire song or appending the MIDI data to the song. If it’s only a bunch of notes those notes also can be moved quite easily afterwards to whatever place you want them.

Why not handle that the following way… If midi clip is over a certain size (arbitrary), revert to the append/replace function. If it is below a certain size, then drop it in place.

Joule +1 Taktik thnx for your work!

or appending the MIDI data to the song. If it’s only a bunch of notes those notes also can be moved quite easily afterwards to whatever place you want them.

A step up from this could be to let the user decide where to insert the dragged clip in the pattern sequencer:

i.e. Drag the MIDI clip onto the pattern sequencer and a little yellow bar appears. This fits the current behaviour which already adds patterns. It also means you are not “thrown” to the end of the song and makes the necessary housekeeping for a simple short clip from a drum VST etc. a bit more bearable.

I would prefer a more direct D+D solution but this would certainly be better than the forced appending IMO.

new midi clip patterns inserted between pattern 3 and 4

6188 pattern seq mid drag.png

Just to add I tried D+D of a multi-track 113 BPM MIDI file into Studio One 3 and the project kept its tempo of 75 BPM,

So S1seems to ignore tempo with D+D

Reaper uses dialogs to deal with this so you can either import a whole song to 1 track (wouldn`t be practical or usually possible in renoise due to column limit) or to multiple tracks:

Also choose whether to map the song BPM to the MIDI BPM

6197 reaper MIDI import.PNG

You also get a second popup if you don`t choose to expand the tracks in a multi-track MIDI file

Mm mm I many think about midi import for long file and in my head I have a question: how many people used long midi import for big song? Because I think many users waiting this function for work with short midi files containing in drum module or another midi plugs. Maybe I have mistake but it’s not usefull for me because I can’t do make effective in my work.

Thnx.

Mm mm I many think about midi import for long file and in my head I have a question: how many people used long midi import for big song? Because I think many users waiting this function for work with short midi files containing in drum module or another midi plugs. Maybe I have mistake but it’s not usefull for me because I can’t do make effective in my work.

Thnx.

I think that this can be modified to suit all cases effectively.

Personally I would have full midi import as a menu entry under the FIle menu called “Midi Import Song/with tempo” or something. (current appending behaviour moved here)

Drag and Drop onto the pattern would add MIDI where it is dropped. If it is a multi-track MIDI file then only allow it to be dragged between renoise tracks (yellow divider) where it would create new renoise tracks on mouse button release. If it is a single track MIDI file let it be dragged onto track as overwrite paste, or between tracks with yellow divider; again creating a new track.

@ taktik RE: Repeating patterns in the pattern sequencer. We already have a situation in renoise where the pattern sequence is automatically flattened; in the automation editor if we use the line tool. I don`t see this as a problem here aswell, though maybe a dialog could be used to save confusion.

Ok that’s good but what you think about multichannel instrument? Sonic charge microtonic have a 8 independedents midi track.

Ok that’s good but what you think about multichannel instrument? Sonic charge microtonic have a 8 independedents midi track.

That would be covered by this (bolded):

Drag and Drop onto the pattern would add MIDI where it is dropped. If it is a multi-track MIDI file then only allow it to be dragged between renoise tracks (yellow divider) where it would create new renoise tracks on mouse button release. If it is a single track MIDI file let it be dragged onto track as overwrite paste, or between tracks with yellow divider; again creating a new track.

Ouch Thnx)))) where was my eyes)))) ok waiting renoise team)))

Crossed fingers for b6!

Unfortunately depends on another missing feature to make that really useful and this feature is something we can’t quickly hack in at this state. That feature is “context sensitive dragging” from the OS into Renoise, which is platform depended and thus must be realized separately on Windows, OSX and Linux.

Right now, when you drag and drop stuff from the OS (or from plugin windows) into Renoise, it does not know “where” it drops it - it just loads/applies the content generally. For example: drag and dropping multiple sample files from the OS into Renoise won’t allow you to create kezones or drop into the pattern editor. From Renoise’s Disk Browser this works differently.

Even without the proposed improved MIDI import this definitely would be great to have, and is on our TODO lists for quite a while now. Will try to add this in future - but can’t promise to do this during the beta.

I see, I always wondered why when you dragged a wav into renoise you couldn`t choose the target slot at the same time.

Well at least we can try something for 3.1 with scripting then.

Big up mr T and good luck!