Duplex Beta Versions

Hi Jurek,

I can see your point - an even closer integration with Renoise. But since each configuration can be made up from multiple individual applications, it’s not easy to decide if a given configuration is valid for a given view (mixer, pattern etc). We have no semantics to tell us this.

But I guess it could be set up manually, if the SwitchConfig application was expanded with these options:

Option: Sync config to active view

• Enabled
  • Disabled

Option: Mixer view

• Launch config #1
  • Launch config #2
  • Launch config #3
  • etc.

Option: Pattern view

• Launch config #1
  • Launch config #2
  • Launch config #3
  • etc.

…and because “sync” really means “both ways”, it would also mean that activating a specific configuration should switch to a particular view in Renoise. Quite useful!!

Hmm… I have no problem using drum-pads as toggle buttons on my Remote SL, they are configured as type=“button” in the control-map. Would be quite strange if a drum-pad acted as a toggle-button on the hardware side… are you sure that you’ve described the correct note/pitch values in the control-map - can you see input from your device when you enable Duplex’ MIDI-dump feature?

Not as such, no, the device settings are pretty generic in nature. But tell me, are you looking for a way to set up your device per-configuration, or globally (for any configuration that deal with the M3)? Because, if it’s global then it’s quite easy to create a dedicated M3 “driver” which can contain sysex code - this is already done for several devices which require a specific command as they are initialized (e.g. the APC controllers).

danoise, my working let me try and understand. I have an older version, SL61, not the first RemoteSL, but the 2nd gen, SL61, not the mk2. The one in the middle :)

I can test for you. What is it specifically that is broken? The buttons don’t work, I guess I should have been more specific when I said works flawless I never use those buttons, only the knobs and the transport controls.

The way things are setup the APC40 works almost 99%, including the auto-magic 8 knob controllers on the focused DSP, faders, etc. The SL61 transport works, which is the main thing I was hoping for. The only thing that doesn’t work on that is the Loop button. The buttons under the faders and the knobs aren’t working. You mention loading a mk2.xml file, but I don’t know how to load this. I have Automap 4 installed though. Don’t know if this matters or not? The Faderport works as it should everywhere.

So I think maybe it is a bug, and I gave you false hope. Apologies for that. If you need help with the RemoteSL61 stuff I can try to help.

I have TouchOSC for iPad and the controller editor software too. You can make your own from scratch. I can send you these files if you need them. The files are TouchOSCEditor.exe, from touchosc-editor-1.2-win32.zip - TouchOSC Editor v1.2 Copyright (c) 2009-2010, RJ Fischer http://hexler.net

Does this help you? Let me know if I can be of more assistance. I can test/edit layouts if I am given good instructions. I’m still getting up to speed with the new stuff in 2.8 and learning lua/tool API stuff so have patience :)

I just realized I had to download one called LiveControl to use it with TouchOSC. (I am from Ableton land)

So yes you are right you probably know this all. If you want the LiveControl for reverse engineering let me know. It has a pdf doc, and the obvious layout files, etc.

Here is a screenshot of the TouchOSC editor when I use it, it’s got iPad or iPhone on left side…

Exactly, the row of buttons beneath the faders. It was mentioned that in the previous models, those buttons were not MIDI-mappable at all. I find that strange, but it’s possible. And if so, there’s nothing we can do about it really.
Can you see if Duplex is receiving any input when you press those buttons (enable the MIDI-dump feature and look in the console)?

Oh, and I have no idea why the loop button isn’t working. I am currently pimping the Remote configuration, so I’ll definitely look into this, and put some new features in there while we’re at it…

I did? The only file I can think of is the automap layout for the remote, it’s called Remote-SL-MKII.automap, and can be applied via the automap software.

Yeah, I have that as well but I don’t want to create new layouts, because Android users can’t use them. Instead I want to base the Duplex configs on the default set of templates, and so far I’ve not found anything but the “Mix2 iPad” template. But perhaps the iPad doesn’t even come with dedicated templates apart from that one?

It’s possible to make some awesome stuff with the editor, of course. Here’s a layout I did a while back:

I’ve created a voice-manager class for Duplex, and seems to work like a charm. No more stuck notes when using the Keyboard.

Also, I’ve added the keyboard application “here and there” (Remote pads, Launchpad, AKAI LPD8, monome…).
And it’s becoming just a matter of editing the configuration to support a device, so it seems the whole key/keyboard feature is getting there.

Download link has been updated

Hi danoise! after our talk in this topic: Midi On Multiple Renoise Instances
I have tried the triplestack midi-keyboard. besides that my problem with opening midi ports on the second Renoise instance isn’t solved with this, I don’t get any sound out of it.
this is what I do and see:

-Load an instument and checked if it makes sound
-load up duplex midi keyboard and set my midi ports up
now I can see the graphical keys correspond with what I press at my controller but it doesn’t sent it to the assigned or with ‘follow selection’ selected instrument.
I tried with a VSTi and with a sample. Am I missing something?

Most likely, it has to do with the OSC server in Renoise not being enabled:

Sorry, it’s not entirely obvious. Please check if this is the reason?
The final version of Keyboard will most likely remind you of this, the first time it is being launched.

Thanks for MackieControl… Since 0.98b12 Leds work perfectly, but now mixer doesn’t work…

Is there a solution for motorised mixer fader to turn at the right volume position when we load a song ??

(i’ve not try yet the 0.98b13…)

The way I understand you, the mixer did work in the previous version?

I don’t have any equipment that use the mackie protocol, but the mixer should respond to pitch-bend message on channel 1-8.
Let me see what I can do to check this out with my own setup…

Yes, this is how the Mixer is designed to work, bi-directionally. If it doesn’t, it has to do with the aforementioned issue.

A couple of things got changed in that release, for better or worse. But I’d recommend that you download the latest version.

Duplex 0.98b14 has arrived, the big news this time is the ability to combine native MIDI mapping with Duplex
The idea popped up a couple of days ago, was pretty easy to implement and all in all it seems pretty solid, but of course some more testing is required.

Basically, it works like this: each (MIDI) configuration now has a toggle in the settings which look like this:

If you enable the checkbox, all messages that are not handled by a Duplex application will be forwarded to Renoise.
The same is true when an application is stopped (in such a case, all messages are forwarded).
All of this will make your controller mappings a hybrid between scripted and natively MIDI mapped :w00t:
Note however that forwarded messages can currently only be MIDI notes and MIDI CC messages.

I’ve ensured that applications can benefit from this in perhaps not-so-obvious ways. For example, the Keyboard
will be able to use it’s upper and lower range to specify which keys Duplex should handle. The remaining keys
will then be forwarded to Renoise - a very powerful and easy way to split a keyboard.

The download link is located here

As the whole 0.98 release is nearing it’s completion, if any crash bugs are encountered please report them - none are known ATM[b]

[/b][b]

[/b]

Cool stuff!

Yes the mixer works with 0.98b11 but with 0.98b12 nothing happens. Just a thing, with 0.98b11 i need to move faders form bottom to top for duplex mackie and renoise volume faders begin to move.

Is there a function in particular that i can edit to try modify this ?

At this time, it doesn’t work… So i will try the 0.98b14

With respect

Thanks, that should give me something to go on. I won’t look into this issue the next few days though…

I can’t tell which position your volume levels are in from song to song, but it sounds like you’re describing the effect of soft-takeover / parameter-pickup? Please check the Mixer options and disable this feature if you don’t want this behavior.

Excuse me i was wrong, it’s not the 0.98b11 (i had not try this one) but 0.98b10 where mixer works but in birectionnal mode and i had to move faders on the mackie control hardware from up and down to duplex catch the position…

[s]Hi danoise,

I used the keyboard device for mapping pitchbend and aftertouch to midi cc#108 and #109. It worked good. But now after some restarting, the remapping just does not work anymore, no matter if I disable and reenable the keyboard device in duplex or not, filter pitchbend or not in Renoise settings.

The midi mapper just does not recognize the remapped parameter anymore. I restarted Renoise several times and also tested it with a new song. It just does not work anymore. What could cause this?

The duplex device view still shows the movement of the pitchbend slider, if I move the remote stick on the M3. So something goes wrong with the remapping I guess.[/s]

Sorry, The OSC server was accidently disabled after Renoise crashed, that’s way the mapping didn’t work anymore.

danoise, please check also my bugreport here, regarding the pitchbend at 1% when control is untouched. I don’t know if it’s renoise related or your parameter conversion should be fixed…
Thanks.

Boom!! Duplex 0.98b15

Another update, containing voice-manager/MIDI mapping- related enhancements and bugfixes.
Upgrading is recommended :)
Download link has been updated and SVN too.

So, I’ve been working on making the voice-manager as solid as possible. The Keyboard application will benefit from this, as you can now select between three modes:

1. Trigger notes in range (OSC)
  2. Trigger all (range as OSC, others as MIDI)
  3. Trigger nothing (disable)

(1) is the standard mode, and will simply trigger notes within the range (which, by default, is the entire keyboard)
(2) will allow the notes outside this range to be passed into Renoise (they are passed as MIDI, which means no instr/track routing)
(3) will allow you to shut down a Keyboard application. Useful e.g. when you have multiple keyboards and (temporarily) want to ignore one of them.

Even though we are now dealing with both OSC/MIDI-triggered notes, the issue of “stuck notes” should be completely gone.

Here’s the full list of changes & additions:

– Duplex core API –

• MIDI pass-on: allow native MIDI mapping for unhandled parameters
  • MIDI pass-on: virtual control surface able to generate MIDI
  • MIDI pass-on: all UIComponents can “actively reject” an event
  • Control-map: MIDI channel support for keyboards (specific/any channel)
  • Control-map: pitch-bend mappings receive + send
  • New class: OscVoiceMgr, provides voice-management features
  • Device-config: hide specific application options (hidden_options)
  • Fixed: choosing “cancel” when shutting down devices would throw an error
  • Fixed: proper access to document nodes (.value)

– Applications/XYPad.lua –

• Fixed: No longer looses focus when navigating to a new track

– Applications/Keyboard.lua –

• New option: “Keyboard Mode”, choose which notes (if any) to trigger

– Device configurations-

• Extra device-configs for AkaiLPD8, APC20 + APC40

Could you check if it’s working now?

It’s out: Duplex 0.98b16. Download link located here.

– Duplex Core API –

• OscClient.lua:one-time instructions on how to enable the OSC server

– Applications/GridPie.lua –

• Feature: “Running start” (smooth transition into Grid Pie’d mode)
  • Feature: “Keep the beat” (try to maintain beat when pattern length changes)
  • Fixed: poly-meter computation (too few values considered)

Read about the new grid pie features in it’s dedicated topic :slight_smile:

Lights for the clips in GridPie are not working correctly on my Monome with b16. They stay switched on when I turn clips off, and perhaps some weird stuff when paging downwards. I can give a more detailed report if you like. I went back to b13, the latest of the previous versions in my downloads folder.