Renoise 2.7 Synth Experiment

edit: Click here for some quick examples (mono bass, cheesy home organ, chip square lead and a wobble saw lead)

edit2: See here for updated instrument pack

Hi,

Just downloaded the new beta. Epic update guys, well done.

With the new features of the sampler it is perfectly possible to emulate synths natively. This is very useful for those of us who use Linux where VSTi’s are lacking.

To do this import a couple of single cycle waveforms (see here and here for some download links) into the same instrument.

Map both across the entire keyboard range so they play together (don’t forget to loop them!).

Then modify the sample parameters for one of them as you would with a multiple oscillator synth (add a pitch offset, a bit of detune etc).

Set the NNA to something appropriate (cut/note off would make a monosynth, continue for a polysynth etc)

Then add an appropriate volume envelope (emulating the ADSR on a synth, although you can be much more advanced in Renoise).

Then add a filter envelope if you wish.

Finally maybe a little LFO or follower on volume/cutoff/resonance to add movement. [There is a limitation here for which I am opening a bug report for]

Enjoy your new synth! :)

great samplers make good synths. renoise is finally in this realm. too awesome. i think i’m in love again.

Those examples are pretty awesome.
mxb: can we include them in the default Renoise installation?

Maybe we can create a few more of such instruments with a collaborative effort?

nice, will check this out after work. (=

I think I am missing something when you say “Map both across the entire keyboard range so they play together”…

How would you do this?

In the “Sample Keyzones” tab - which is only available in (the beta version of) 2.7. - you can now layer samples.

Feel free to include them if you wish, they were only something I knocked up one Saturday afternoon! They may need a little tidying up beforehand but nothing major.

I’m still learning synthesis but I’ll have a look at making some more sometime.

Doh, missed that, many thanks…

Thanks for these, mxb. Some interesting sounds may come out of this.

Taktik / Dev team,

Don’t want to hijack the thread but if you manage to squeeze this change into 2.7 before release then we can do much more velocity → filter modulation funkyness. :rolleyes: :P

It can go into negative values in b4, or am I missing something?

:unsure:
Possibly as I’m still on b2 as I’m away from home.

If so, well played dev team, well played. :mellow:

check this: http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?/topic/29510-●►-renoise-27-beta-3-4-released/

i´ve tested this today, nice idea :)

what i realy miss is the possibility to setup different envelopes/lfo´s for each layer. maybe something for future updates ;)

will do some more testing tomorrow.

Instrument pack updated (also linked in 1st post)

Download here

Now contains:

• Mono bass
  • Hoover bass (new)
  • Acid bass (velocity sensitive) (new)
  • ‘Classic’ synth strings (new)
  • Cheesy home organ
  • ‘Chip Square’ lead
  • Wobble saw lead

Again, feel free to redistribute and use wherever you like.

thanks Bro,much appreciated!!

Thanks a bunch for this. So awesome. Currently doing some experiment with supersaws in Renoise 2.7 myself.

Nice, simple, appropriate application of the new features.

mxb, just a minor suggestion for your examples: I’d make the bass synths use no interpolation, or at least the Acid Bass. It’s just my preference, but it sounds more crisp that way.

Hey all, thanks for the kind words.

Just doodling around with beta 5 today and the instrument pitch envelopes resulted in another instrument:

arp acid bass.xrni

This may have been obvious to some others, but by using the pitch and volume envelopes in points mode, you can create gated and/or arpeggiated ‘riffs’ which fire from a single key.

You can also mimic some glide functionality with carefull programming.

Please have a play around with the instruments in this thread to (hopefully) learn a few tips how to make your own instruments and the full power of the new Renoise sampler.

Cool tip, haven’t tried the new point functionality in the instrument envelopes yet.