Highlighting Notes using Ctrl + C?

Would it be possible to highlight certain notes in the pattern - sequencer using:

Ctrl + C

Like under Windows, lets say not a whole #selection of notes but just some in between,

which could come in pretty handy for #velocity and #quantize or #nudge changes only on the desired hits, notes.

Just an idea & doesnt seem to work “out of the box” in Renoise, maybe not even possible at all?

keyboard-168.png

The pattern editor only has 2 markers, the selection and the cursor.

CTRL C (if you do not change the command in the preferences) is the action of copying. You should have a panel to indicate which notes you want to indicate, and an option to activate / deactivate and add a kind of graphic multiple selection. All this in the end is too complicated. If you contemplate everything that Renoise equips, everything is usually concrete and direct. Mixing the copy action from the alphanumeric keyboard with such a marking function does not seem to follow Renoise’s philosophy. It’s like mixing two things.

In any case, this kind of ideas will generate parallel ideas.

I believe it is possible to build a tool with a parent timer, which uses the selection to point to a specific note in a particular note column in a top-down loop process. It would simply be a visual aid.It is possible to play with the selection from a tool, but in the end it is easier to use the mouse.

Another thing you can do is this:

7885 vpdpro-selection-replace-volume.png

You make a simple selection
Tool VPDpro/Rack 1
Selection (Pt)
You move a volume slider
You press the button “Vol” in Rack 1 to replace.
Consequence: only change the volume values within the selection

Things like that… It is exactly the same as:

1. You make a simple selection
  2. Advanced pattern editor operations
  3. Selection in Pattern
  4. Vol/Pan/Delay/FX
  5. Modify: Set
  6. Change the value
  7. Apply
  8. Consequence: only change the volume values within the selection

I’m just pointing out things you can do.However, the idea of using a timer and the selection of the pattern editor to mark specific notes could be a good toy to program and use to use with a tool.

EDIT: Wow, of course the VPDpro tool has the possibility of transposing notes within a selection. Only transpose specific notes. At the moment it allows to raise or lower an entire octave from -12 to +12.This function is activated with the green button that is located above the Transpose button.

Anyway, look carefully at all possible combinations of controls within the right panel of advanced operations of the pattern editor. Maybe you’ll find what you need there.

Very insightful, will mos def try to flip around with this!

Basically what I want to achieve is this:

In a e.g. 32 Pattern, with a Hit on every 4 Lines:

00 c400

04 c400

08 c400

12 c400

16 c400

20 c400

24 c400

28 c400

32 c400

Then only select the #offbeats 04, 12, 20, 28 - so with only these selected; then use #velocity, #nudge, #quantize on those.

Hope that makes sense…Maybe there’s even a better, or easier way to achieve this,

since the Developers already having all kinds of #tricks in their Bag.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :drummer: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Very insightful, will mos def try to flip around with this!

Basically what I want to achieve is this:

In a e.g. 32 Pattern, with a Hit on every 4 Lines:

00 c400

04 c400

08 c400

12 c400

16 c400

20 c400

24 c400

28 c400

32 c400

Then only select the #offbeats 04, 12, 20, 28 - so with only these selected; then use #velocity, #nudge, #quantize on those.

Hope that makes sense…Maybe there’s even a better, or easier way to achieve this,

since the Developers already having all kinds of #tricks in their Bag.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :drummer: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

It is a bit farfetched. But it is possible to propose a specific tool to do it.The basis of the idea of a possible tool would be like this:

1. A popup to choose the work area, line, note column, all the track column, all of them within a pattern-track, or a selection (you can invade several tracks or several note columns from different tracks).
  2. Once you have the work area, it is possible to program a repetitive line jump condition, with a multiplier or something like that. That is, each X lines, then modify.
  3. Apart from point 3, it would be possible to add at least 4 valueboxes to mark 4 specific lines. Only the values in these lines would be modified.
  4. Finally, a “modify” button.

This would be a pretty deep tool.The difficulty in programming is to establish the limits to avoid errors. In addition, it would be necessary to detect the initial line and the final line in case of using a “selection”. Here I have my doubts.But although it is a somewhat crazy tool, it can be a good idea, useful when you use many lines.

EDIT:04, 12, 20, 28is a jump of 8 lines continuously, until the end of the selected pattern.Since it starts with 4, you would only need to put the cursor on the fourth line.

EDIT2:By the way, it would also be possible to add a “Beats Control”.You would only modify the lines of beats.

Man to be honest, I have no idea where even to start :blink:

Yet, downloaded the Tool Making #tool & Bookmarked the Lua - info.

We will see how that works; would be a pretty neat Tool, indeed.

Many thanks for all the input! :ph34r:

Man to be honest, I have no idea where even to start :blink:

Yet, downloaded the Tool Making #tool & Bookmarked the Lua - info.

We will see how that works; would be a pretty neat Tool, indeed.

Many thanks for all the input! :ph34r:

I would not mind creating a simple tool from scratch with all these capabilities and sharing the code in the tools section.It would only be a small window with some buttons. The most difficult thing is to choose the name of the tool. :slight_smile:

If you are interested in learning to create tools, I can only encourage you. It’s worth it. A couple of years ago I had no idea. But I can not be waiting for others :unsure:.

A name…like:

Micro Edit

:drummer:

I think some kind of highlighting (or even, multi-cursor functionality) would be an_immensely_useful feature.

That said, why on earth would you ever want Ctrl+C for this? :wacko:

I think some kind of highlighting (or even, multi-cursor functionality) would be an_immensely_useful feature.

That said, why on earth would you ever want Ctrl+C for this? :wacko:

Not necessarily …that was just my ‘non-coder’ user way to describe what I mean.

Like highlighting certain files in Windows; this could be done in other ways in Renoise.

Off course I tried though to select only off - beat notes via ctrl + c, which didnt works :mellow:

Actually its NOT ctrl + c BUT CTRL + A Leftclick via the Mouse on the desired Files.

My #rookie Bad!

A name…like:

Micro Edit

:drummer:

Then we have the hardest thing done :lol:.

This will work out just fine!

Maybe even better name could be:

Micro (Note) Select

As people might find it useful to quickly find this Gem & its purpose?

@ElºHYM.This function has been added in my VPDpro tool. It works within the selected note column or in all the selected pattern-track. As options are:

1. Replace in all lines
  2. Replace according the LPB jump value (the beat)

Replace according a jump valuebetween 2 and 32, counting from the selected line.

Options 2 and 3:

7895 vpdpro-replace-with-jump.png

Thanks!

When will this one be available for public?

Looking good indeed…would still like a #micro version mini tool only for selection.

But this maybe a good starting point for programming my own tool, which will also need some time to get into.

Cheerz :yeah:

Thanks!

Looking good indeed…would still like a #micro version mini tool only for selection.

But this maybe a good starting point for programming my own tool, which will also need some time to get into.

Cheerz :yeah:

Ok,I will try to add the operations also within the selection. It is not possible to be more specific or deep anymore.I also want to review the transposition of the notes. There are combinations of operations that can be added.The problem of adding so many capabilities is that in the end the tool becomes complex to handle, because it has many things.But it is also true that in a tool with a larger window it is possible to order all the controls to make it easier to handle.

Another thing that may interest you is what is discussed here (jump to the next note within the selected note column):https://forum.renoise.com/t/entering-effect-commands-the-fast-way/48305

Here is an example of a “mother” function, to replace the value of the instrument.You can take this example to build the rest of the functions for other values, volume, panning, delay… or all together.

Click to view contents
--replace instrument values in note column
function vpd_replace_ins_nc( song, nol, snci, column, sli, lpb, ln, jump, val )
  song = renoise.song()
  nol = song.selected_pattern.number_of_lines
  snci = song.selected_note_column_index
  sli = song.selected_line_index
  lpb = song.transport.lpb
  val = vws["VPD_VB_REPLACE_VAL"].value
  if ( snci > 0 ) then
    if ( val == 0 ) then
      for l = 1, nol do
        column = song.selected_pattern_track:line( l ):note_column( snci )
        if ( column.instrument_value < 255 ) then
          column.instrument_value = song.selected_instrument_index - 1
        end
      end
    end
    ---
    if ( val == 1 ) then
      for l = 1, nol do
        jump = ( l - 1 ) * ( lpb - 1 )
        ln = l + jump
        if ( ln <= nol ) then
          column = song.selected_pattern_track:line( ln ):note_column( snci )
          end
        end
      end
    end
    ---
    if ( val > 1 ) then
      for l = sli, nol do
        jump = ( l - sli ) * ( val - 1 )
        ln = l + jump
        if ( ln <= nol ) then
          column = song.selected_pattern_track:line( ln ):note_column( snci )
          end
        end
      end
    end
  end
end

You have to define “val” inside the function. I have used a valuebox from Viewbuilder.I use “All” when val == 0, “Beats” when val == 1, and number (2 to 32) when val > 1

I still have my doubts. The whole tool has a multitude of things, and is complex to control. In fact, someone who does not control Renoise well may not understand the concept of this tool. No one will see that VPDpro simply represents a ZOOM of the selected line, with controls to change the values directly. Apart from that, it also has a very personal touch. It is not designed to please others, but to work optimally for myself.

For example, the tool includes this:https://forum.renoise.com/t/development-of-vpdpro-orchestral-some-demostrations/48552

Who wants that?Nobody, only me :slight_smile:

^Man are you kidding Me…lol!

You may be like the Mr.Robot in our little Renoise Universe :walkman:

Well like I said, I have no idea how even to start, yet even that can be a start somehow, if proceeded further…

Basically the #tool would just be some #highlighting of specific notes in the pattern editor;

plus the #quantize #nudge #velocity control/editor from the #advanced pattern editor.

I know this is like a one way road to discuss with someone who actually is pretty deep & experienced

with programming these & on the other hand a rookie like me, has has actually no clue about it.

So, again many thanks for the insight & info!

^Man are you kidding Me…lol!

You may be like the Mr.Robot in our little Renoise Universe :walkman:

Well like I said, I have no idea how even to start, yet even that can be a start somehow, if proceeded further…

Basically the #tool would just be some #highlighting of specific notes in the pattern editor;

plus the #quantize #nudge #velocity control/editor from the #advanced pattern editor.

I know this is like a one way road to discuss with someone who actually is pretty deep & experienced

with programming these & on the other hand a rookie like me, has has actually no clue about it.

So, again many thanks for the insight & info!

I thought you knew a little about LUA to program tools. Who does not know that? :slight_smile:

Once you have a tool built, it is relatively easy to steal functions to insert them in another new tool, change the GUI and ready, new tool finished.

The problem I have is that I do not have much time for these things.

Any novice programmer who reads the spoiler with the function will know how to use it to build a specific tool.

If you really want to learn how to make scripts for Renoise tools, you can follow these steps:http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/49986-ras-renoise-accompaniment-system/page-4#entry359113

Now it’s up to you.

I thought you knew a little about LUA to program tools. Who does not know that? :slight_smile:

Once you have a tool built, it is relatively easy to steal functions to insert them in another new tool, change the GUI and ready, new tool finished.

The problem I have is that I do not have much time for these things.

Any novice programmer who reads the spoiler with the function will know how to use it to build a specific tool.

If you really want to learn how to make scripts for Renoise tools, you can follow these steps:http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/49986-ras-renoise-accompaniment-system/page-4#entry359113

Now it’s up to you.

Ok, Mr.Robot…will do :ph34r:

Ok, Mr.Robot…will do :ph34r:

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: