Is Jabbanoise dying? (no, it is not) [NSFW]

thank god Madtracker 3 is still alive and will release q1 2013

:w00t:

Renoise is dead. Luckily, we got Skale Tracker

I think it is time to close the topic. Most people in this thread really thought that perspective to compete with Sunvox is normal. One man from Russia without any support, without any team, with local product website…against big 2.8 release, community, “Depeche mode using Renoise” and so on. Nice comparison. With such marketing - next step will be Skale or Mad or any other Tracker, really

As for me - I am not a volunteer but I also thought that Renoise is commercial software and with some marketing budget could afford some expences to “burn the fire”. Without this - you have only hope that Taktik have big desire for next “85 years” to improve his tracker for free

Well, after this thread I realize that I feel differently about all of this than I thought I did. So… good thread, really. Maybe it was too much nostalgia fueled emotions.

There’s another thread about how Renoise marketing should take a look at Dr. Drum. And the first thing I thought was how nice of a presentation Dr. Drum did. I was apparently the only person that thought this. It had terrible copy, but a nice presentation. I think one of the admins or forum users responded that word of mouth and user testimonials was a much better way to market.

Anyway, Renoise is a technical software for technical folks, and it’s marketed that way. It reminds me of a musical version of sourceforge, (which I pretty much don’t understand). The website isn’t bad or anything like that. But has anyone on the team ever mapped out your demographics, figured out what channels you want to improve in, and your unique selling proposition to reach those new customers that you want to reach?

My ultimate point is Renoise is probably already good enough of a product to have more market share. This is only an educated guess, because obviously I have no connection to the project except what I see on the forum as a long term user, but my educated guess is that resources are being invested into developing the product as opposed to marketing it. This is fantastic for users, and it means the admins are passionate about the product. It’s a win-win in every way, except for market share. Having the best product is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to sales success.

That is the point I was making in the Dr. Drum thread, but I think it was missed by those that read it. Then again, I have no background in the marketing of music software, and I don’t know what initiatives go on behind the scenes. I’m just pointing out that it’s a very technical software, that is marketed as such, whereas a product live Ableton is marketed in such a way as to be more approachable for a typical (less technically / mod scene educated) consumer which might help eliminate their fear of purchasing a bit more.

I hope this post is appropriate, and I hope I’m clear that I think the admins are doing great. I’m just pointing out that right from the very core, the emphasis is on the product, and I don’t think it’s on the commercial success of Renoise. Because in my opinion Renoise is already much better than commercially more successful (or at least commonly known) musical software. And if the Renoise team did want it to become a slightly more mainstream product they could work on things that would make the software more approchable for people that are used to working in a piano roll, etc, combined with a marketing effort to reach these users. Which, BTW, is not something I’m suggesting should be done. Just thinking out loud.

Another option is just a bit of old fashioned co-branded promotions with symbiotic partners. For example, working with Audio-midi on a no brainer promotion or something like that. So that a few time a year so that the brand gets in front of more music making folks more often. Or approaching Rob Papen or a synth programmer for some type of cross-promotion. Of course, ideas are cheap, these things take time, and that time might just suck hours out of the development of the actual software.

In any case, I think the admins are doing a fine job. It’s going the slow and organic route, with the thought that as long as the software is top notch the dedicated user base will support it. And I think that’s been proven true. Does management want to change this direction in an effort for more market share? I think that is really the question that this thread raises.

A good time for this.

its time to follow my main interest.

hahaha Madtracker 3 and Sunvox :D, these are half way to renoise.
Renoise is much more than a simple trakcer like Mad3.

No need to compare…

Anyway i missing some news from the developers , as always!

I believe that the new piano roll feature that has been announced will have a great and positive impact on the future of Renoise.

it is time

Funniest thing I’ve read in a thread that otherwise makes me want to jump off a cliff …

2.9 is here!! esa reported it
http://www.renoise.com/release-notes/290

Edit = meh… its not the same. Its become plain difficult to, “rick roll,” with all the new advertisements… “your video will be available in 15 seconds, and all that jazz.”

Never mind then…

I think there’s a good point mentioned, it would be nice to have some news every month or so, just to know what’s going on with renoise
I personally feel that as renoise is now it feels to be in transition (especially instruments) so I am checking every now and then to see
what’s the progress with the new version and how the advance that renoise had in recent versions will be incorporated into a less clumsy
way

not having any update is kinda frustrating

• and yes I do appreciate what Taktik and the team did and is doing and I still prefer renoise to any other audio software, but i think the
    most important point made is, that it wouldn’t hurt to give some update every now and then just to know something is cooking

another orly thread…

sometimes I wonder - did everybody forgot renoise is just a piece of software? a piece of code? code can’t die. I guess OP has too much spare time.

Do you really think we’ve had a 5 page thread of discussion about whether or not pieces of code can die?

Don’t intentionally misunderstand the OP to try to sound witty. This thread brought about some good discussion, regardless of how much you may disagree with the OP.

Nibbles.

You are the one who misunderstood, pal. I’m not trying to be witty. What’s the point of being witty on the internet? I just found it too difficult to ignore. Consider it my failure if you wish.

About the 5 page argument - I think some diskspace and net traffic was seriously wasted. Again, nothing unusual. I think I should stop here and move along. Cheers.

I think this is just useless. I personally don’t find anything missing at Renoise and when I do, I just download some workaround VSTi or do this one thing in Ableton. Because I’m using this program to help me lay down my musical ideas, I’m understanding the program as it is, rather than crying for new “cool” features like it is some MMO ;)
What I care about is: stability (great), performance (great as well) and features (enough for me, I can alter my way of composing to fit the program, I don’t expect the program to understand what I’m doing). So the new updates and versions are just a piece of cake for me.
I’m not waiting for new features because really, it’s not a MMO. Just imagine buying a new piano and then crying at the developer for “new updates about this?” Music first.

Most people here read ONLY the name of the topic but not my message…

What updates??? Tell me where I wrote about updates???

I speak about fresh faces, new compositions and different music styles, about newbies in Renoise and famous musicians who discover this program for the first time, I speak about new MONEY that will make Renoise bigger and greater…
READ MY POSTS PLEASE! IT IS ABOUT MARKETING and nothing else!

“I AM good with Renoise” have no concern with last year marketing that was awful. I repost google trends comparison with Sunvox cause this is the best proof.