Is Jabbanoise dying? (no, it is not) [NSFW]

So…maybe anybody here who are close to Renoise developers knows some marketing plans?
Taktik - do you have any marketing plans?
Maybe you plan to rectruit social manager?
Or - post news about contests at the main page?
Or other than mutant breaks contests?
Or SOMETHING BIGGER?

Just say YES if you dont want to concretize
Thanks!

I hate looking at this thread. is it dying yet? just delete the post and the poster and make the world a better place to live.

and yes we are all dying. it is process which takes on average 85 years to complete. make the best of it and play renoise day and night.

I agree, I’d really love to see some updates about the current development state. For me as a casual visitor the site seems to be frozen since sommer 2012 or so.
I also would really like to see more “meanstream”-features implemented, like e.g. Wavtracks. So far there seems to be no decent information that this will ever happen.
And the argument that Renoise is a small company doesn’t count IMO. Even a small company should be able to give some updates from time to time. I mean from a business perspective this is vital, or ?

Just keep on refreshing the Renoise forums over and over, eventually you will jackpot.

Another thing: Look at my license:

Version Registered  

Renoise 2.7  

Account valid until  

Renoise 3.7  

This probably means that I don’t have to update my licence until 2023.
Kinda pitiful isn’t it? If I had to update my license for every new update and it would cost me 20 bucks, I’ll do it. straight away.
And it would motivate the devteam even more.
Renoise is a damn good daw. With damn good users. And a damn good community. All it have too become is a damn good PRODUCT.
A DAW like Renoise should earn more respect. A DAW like Renoise should earn more users. A development team making such a good DAW should earn more money.

So… maybe it’s a good idea to donate some more cash and motivate the devteam.?

-I’m in.

I suggested “development boost” funds a while ago; the idea was soundly defeated, for fairly good reasons.

At this point, I’m curious as to the typical time between releases. I mean, yes I know, it’s no good pressuring the dev team, and coming to the forums to answer ever “whhaa when’s the next version” only takes away time from actual development.

But I wouldn’t be opposed to know what the TYPICAL wait between releases is, kind of like on MacRumors.com where they tell you how often a model is typically updated.

I started with Renoise last Summer; there have been no major point revisions since then (only 3.8.1). At this rate, it will be 5 years before I will have to renew. :)

If I’ve learned one thing about working in the arts, it’s this:

If you want shit to happen, start doing it.

Don’t complain that the site isn’t getting updated with news every week. Contact decent local artists that use Renoise and interview them. You want contests that involve certain genres of music? Set those contests up yourself. Don’t like the demo compositions that come with the program? Write your own in the style of your choosing. What you get out of something is proportional to the amount of you that you put into it.

The internet is full of people who sit on their asses and demand content from harrowed content creators trying to do what they love while simultaneously trying to eat on a regular basis. It’s fine if those people were interested in paying for the delivery of the content, but in most cases, this one included, it’s only draining the time, money and energy of the creators. Don’t be one of those people. If anything, do what MMD says and just focus on making music.

These are the months of the latest four renoise BETA announcements.

2010 2011 2012 2013  
DEC JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC JAN  
2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 NOW  

thank god Madtracker 3 is still alive and will release q1 2013

:w00t:

Renoise is dead. Luckily, we got Skale Tracker

I think it is time to close the topic. Most people in this thread really thought that perspective to compete with Sunvox is normal. One man from Russia without any support, without any team, with local product website…against big 2.8 release, community, “Depeche mode using Renoise” and so on. Nice comparison. With such marketing - next step will be Skale or Mad or any other Tracker, really

As for me - I am not a volunteer but I also thought that Renoise is commercial software and with some marketing budget could afford some expences to “burn the fire”. Without this - you have only hope that Taktik have big desire for next “85 years” to improve his tracker for free

Well, after this thread I realize that I feel differently about all of this than I thought I did. So… good thread, really. Maybe it was too much nostalgia fueled emotions.

There’s another thread about how Renoise marketing should take a look at Dr. Drum. And the first thing I thought was how nice of a presentation Dr. Drum did. I was apparently the only person that thought this. It had terrible copy, but a nice presentation. I think one of the admins or forum users responded that word of mouth and user testimonials was a much better way to market.

Anyway, Renoise is a technical software for technical folks, and it’s marketed that way. It reminds me of a musical version of sourceforge, (which I pretty much don’t understand). The website isn’t bad or anything like that. But has anyone on the team ever mapped out your demographics, figured out what channels you want to improve in, and your unique selling proposition to reach those new customers that you want to reach?

My ultimate point is Renoise is probably already good enough of a product to have more market share. This is only an educated guess, because obviously I have no connection to the project except what I see on the forum as a long term user, but my educated guess is that resources are being invested into developing the product as opposed to marketing it. This is fantastic for users, and it means the admins are passionate about the product. It’s a win-win in every way, except for market share. Having the best product is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to sales success.

That is the point I was making in the Dr. Drum thread, but I think it was missed by those that read it. Then again, I have no background in the marketing of music software, and I don’t know what initiatives go on behind the scenes. I’m just pointing out that it’s a very technical software, that is marketed as such, whereas a product live Ableton is marketed in such a way as to be more approachable for a typical (less technically / mod scene educated) consumer which might help eliminate their fear of purchasing a bit more.

I hope this post is appropriate, and I hope I’m clear that I think the admins are doing great. I’m just pointing out that right from the very core, the emphasis is on the product, and I don’t think it’s on the commercial success of Renoise. Because in my opinion Renoise is already much better than commercially more successful (or at least commonly known) musical software. And if the Renoise team did want it to become a slightly more mainstream product they could work on things that would make the software more approchable for people that are used to working in a piano roll, etc, combined with a marketing effort to reach these users. Which, BTW, is not something I’m suggesting should be done. Just thinking out loud.

Another option is just a bit of old fashioned co-branded promotions with symbiotic partners. For example, working with Audio-midi on a no brainer promotion or something like that. So that a few time a year so that the brand gets in front of more music making folks more often. Or approaching Rob Papen or a synth programmer for some type of cross-promotion. Of course, ideas are cheap, these things take time, and that time might just suck hours out of the development of the actual software.

In any case, I think the admins are doing a fine job. It’s going the slow and organic route, with the thought that as long as the software is top notch the dedicated user base will support it. And I think that’s been proven true. Does management want to change this direction in an effort for more market share? I think that is really the question that this thread raises.

A good time for this.

its time to follow my main interest.

hahaha Madtracker 3 and Sunvox :D, these are half way to renoise.
Renoise is much more than a simple trakcer like Mad3.

No need to compare…

Anyway i missing some news from the developers , as always!

I believe that the new piano roll feature that has been announced will have a great and positive impact on the future of Renoise.

it is time

Funniest thing I’ve read in a thread that otherwise makes me want to jump off a cliff …

2.9 is here!! esa reported it
http://www.renoise.com/release-notes/290