MBC #16: Competition Closed --> See the Voting Thread

If i was to mono the low end elements as i go, kicks, bass, etc. Would i then need to do it again on any busses or on the master? You seem to want to isolate the bass from everything else after the fact - or is it for basses with a lot of high information? Genuinely curious, any pointers would be appreciated.

1 Like

Well, it kind of depends on how you’re working. In my case I use mono samples for my Kick and my basses, and if I want to add stereo information in the instrument FX chains, I do. Mostly by using a multiband send to isolate the mids and highs in a separate effects chain with some stereo processing, usually via reverb, or sometimes the stereo expander, or sometimes a time-based DSP unit. That way I know my low end is mono throughout the signal chain. I high pass everything else besides Kick and bass elements. So, below roughly 200 HZ everything is mono.

If you’re using vsts, it’s likely easier to handle the monoing of Bass in send tracks, much as TNT has described. Check out the mixing thread for a good review of how to do this. Namely by using a stereo expander to mono the low frequencies on the side/low send track, or by eliminating them altogether

1 Like

@BriocheBaps
It’s always about monoizing the low ends of the entire song, which means usually you’re having a monoizer in your master track. But you COULD also set a monoizer in every single track like kick and bass, but that doesn’t make sense because it means more work without any improvement in comparison. So IF you’ve placed a monoizer in your kick track and the low ends are monoized, then you don’t have to do it again at another place regarding the kick. Every signal ends up in the master track anyway.

Jup. Mostly below 150 Hz is recommended, but personally I prefer 200 Hz. Anyway, it has to be between 150 and 200 Hz. It’s right either way. :wink:

2 Likes

lol yeah, i’m not gonna lie, I’ve been super busy and haven’t been on the forums as much as I’ve wanted to since joining. just enough to read and learn a little, and haven’t really posted other than in these threads, unfortunately… the only reason i even knew this MBC was going on right now is because a fortune cookie told me about it, lmao.

Also, I actually made two tracks, ill post the other in that track sharing thread sometime, but this one checks more boxes so its what im going with… all samples over 3 secs, no single cycles, etc. even managed to keep the fractal in stereo, yay! (yes i know there’s no bonus points for that, but i’m proud of myself for keeping it in stereo anyways, ok? lol.)

but i really appreciate your comments about the track. was going for dark and psychedelic, almost liminal sorta vibes. so, thank you, it means a lot! Everyone here has made some amazing fucking music, but i’m saving my comments for voting. :wink:

2 Likes

@_kara Life can get in the way of your plans, yes. But I’m happy your fortune cookie guided you here in time for the MBC. And good job on including stereo files. Looking forward to your other track popping up someday soon.

You would think so. But alas, just adding time isn’t enough. :cry:

1 Like

Yes, you also need the brain, but most importantly the will to do it. :wink:
It’s way more fun to compose than to mix and master, and until today I refuse getting too technical. On one hand because I’m deeply convinced there wouldn’t be any noticeable difference in terms of your sound if you’re going into too much (technical) detail, and on the other hand because it’s as time-consuming as composing itself but way less fun. BUT if you’re listening to your own music on someone else’s system and your music sounds flat and soft in comparison to other music, or if you would like turn up the volume but the more you increase it the muddier and bassier gets the sound without having punch, then it’s time to think about dealing with proper mixing and master. And that’s exactly the reason why I’m doing this. And of course because Renoise makes it possible. It wasn’t possible in any other tracker that I’ve used in the past. I would recommend dealing with it, it’s not that hard, doesn’t take too much time to learn and it’s worth the effort. There are millions of videos and articles about that topic, all you need to do is to pick out the important informations that make sense and to ignore the rest. OR just check the mixing thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Am not sure but for me look like only 99.99993218134% full.

:grinning:

1 Like

I think I forgot to respond to this, but thank you for listening and I appreciate the comments. Weird is what I aim for. I will try and sit down after the deadline and listen to everyone’s and do one big review, so I don’t miss any.

1 Like

Just a friendly reminder that the deadline is this Sunday. If you’re working on something still be sure to finish it.

And if you haven’t started yet, consider it a speed challenge as well. 3 days is more than ample time. Go nuts!

@corb sure thing! Voting will start on Monday.

2 Likes

I had a blast making this track and the competition really forced me to think differently.

Memory Failure by StartScreem - This song was composed in Renoise for the Mutant Breaks 16 competition using only a single sample of floppy disk read noises and a single kick drum sample.xrns

I went extremely experimental and tried to get all my drum sounds by using macros to switch on and off Modulation parameters on the sample.

Here’s the Soundcloud!

3 Likes

Welcome aboard StarScreem! I’m too tired right now but I’m looking forward to listening to your track in the morning.

No problem! Get some rest and let me know what you think about the set up. I am more interested in that than the song itself.

Hey guys, it’s been a while since i participated in one of these but i found out about this one yesterday and the theme was interesting and the pieces so far are so good! So, i decided to rush and come up with something, barely made it in time lol. (Hope we’re indeed going with hawaii standard time :stuck_out_tongue: )

Soundcloud : Stream Popshovit by Dark Clouds | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

xrns (tool says around 99.5%):
mbc16.xrns (908.3 KB)

2 Likes

Yes, Hawaii Standard Time. So about 30 hours left from the time of writing.

I’ve made a countdown clock;

When this expires the competition closes.

1 Like

I thought I was going to break my silence on the forums with this one, seems it’s been more than a while. (I’d like to change my username, anybody here that could help me with that?) Anyhow, here’s wonderwall;

Viléter - Sampleless.xrns (123.9 KB)

In all honesty I did not measure the sample usage with Martblek’s tool, but I’m sure it can pass the muster since there ain’t a single one of them in there.

4 Likes

Bloody Brilliant!

2 Likes

@StartScreem Your tune is bloody lovely! Tasty stuff! I am also thoroughly impressed at how many different sounds you’ve managed to squeeze out of the sound of floppy disk reading and a kick drum. Your phrase and macro are impressive, too. How much time did it take for you to set it all up? Anyway, very cool!! And I enjoyed your comments on your own track. Definitely happy you didn’t abandon this track.

@Etheross welcome back! And what a triumphant return it is. I like the playful beginning. It has a cartoon horror vibe to me. But it grows into something else. Something that I like very much. I’m not sure how describe it but it conjures up images of a 1970s style a

ps. for name change send a DM to a moderator like Achenar, dBlue or taktik. I’m sure they can help you.

1 Like

At the time of writing there is still 16+ hours left. So get things moving if you don’t want to miss the deadline!

Thanks for the feedback!

Once I knew what I wanted to do, not that long, but it was still an investment of about 3-4 hours. Then I just hammered away at the composition about an hour a day for a week. - ̗̀ 𝕥𝔼𝕚𝕊 ̖́- in the Discord showed me the extent to which you could push single-cycle waveforms, and my first attempt featured them, but I wasn’t feeling like I was learning anything on my own, so I abandoned that to focus on taking the contest rules to their most absurd extreme.

With the modulation window, you can almost shape any sound into what you want or at least get it within range. With the phrase editor, you can chop any sample down to 256 parts, change the pitch, and reorder them. You can even get single-cycle waveforms without using slice markers that way. I figured with that much flexibility I could just build a toolkit from one sample and go from there. Thanks go to MrZensphere for the granular synthesis video. That was a huge inspiration.

The macro setup puts a vice grip on what you can and can’t do per line. It really forces you to think about composition. I can’t wait to use it again under different contexts.

Since I didn’t post the stats before. They are 46.829% disk space and 324kb for the .xrni.

2 Likes

The competition is now officially closed. Time to rank the entries in this thread here:
Anyone can vote so join in!