MBCR #13.1 remix compo

mutant cats compo

4 Likes

I LOVE cats! Unfortunately I can’t have one anymore, because I’m not at home most of the time and I would want my cat to have the freedom to go outside and come back whenever it’s desired. Cats need love and freedom.

Yes, I would also like to know what’s this about. In this forum there’s always someone writing something about “MBC”, but I don’t get this “competition”. Is it about who creates the weirdest sound and the “winner” will be drawn? I couldn’t find the thread of the first Mutant Breaks Competition, so I missed the explanation and I don’t know anything about it. But if the name says it all my assumption is probably correct. :wink:

Edit:
I did some research and I’ve found this. Seemingly I wasn’t wide off the mark with my assumption. It’s cool to have a competition for that kind of music, too. 14 years, wow. And respect to @Conner_Bw for pulling that off and even paying the prizes out of his pocket. Now that I know about MBC I would like to add:

Keep it as it is, it’s cool as it is. But if someone would like to start another competition, electronic (dance) music, 3/4 and 4/4 preferred, no noise/experimental, let me know and I will see if I can help, :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

cats, love, & freedom theme MBC 14 :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

… did u notice my secret GIF -animation ; P …
REFS_Final2

1 Like

doesn’t work here :crying_cat_face:
perhaps you have to share it elsewhere or in a different format… don’t know… :thinking:

i mean this post earlier

1 Like

haha, yes, this one, haha, ok, works perfect here :sweat_smile:
but it’s true that the “refreshing” part is a bit too long, so that I missed the 3D part that comes next

does it mean that deadline is now on sunday 30th october?

its on monday night 31st october

1 Like

#MBCR actually means Mutant Breaks Cats Remix

… that aside XD

-=-=-

Just to clear something:
In Mutant Breaks Comptetition history the genres have usually been roughly these:
Electro / Bassline / Breakbeats / Jungle / Drum & Bass / IDM / Breakcore / Dubstep / Experimental / Noise

… But this time around “Mutant Breaks #13” (around last cristmas) had same genres but the theme was defined like this:
odd meters/warped time/extra dimensions. Anything in 3, 5, 7, 11,13, shifting tempos, modal rhythm, whatever the hell else, just not 4/4!”

This time challenge was to experiment with different time signatures.
So MBC has usually been quite more like 4/4 songs

I feel that in this remix-compo we can make 4/4 remixes/beats, even 2/2 , what ever gets U going easily. Point is to: investigate how other people use Renoise / share ideas / learn from others / cause conversations / just toss in your unfinished remixes to get feedback.

ps. i gladly welcome rock, blues and techno, they fit nicely in “Breakbeats” and “Experimental” genres XD

…pps. my own last year submission was more kinda live recorded rock band instruments than a real tracker composition. but i made it in renoise and added some amen breaks n FX

4 Likes

HeartBeatHero Entry: Reagae System - OddTempoJam (HeartBeatHero Remix)

8 Likes

That is just soo Coool tune : D

1 Like

Terrific, sound track vibes, nice remix!

1 Like

I tried with a bunch of tracks but i couldn’t really make a remix as most tracks are not remixable in my opinion so instead took some elements of Raegaes track and build on that

Project file here but there is an instance of Crave EQ2 and free synth Asper by zOne.sk
Wav
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ua4Q_5IvriQbOlJxgPvONNKXfKv6cKR/view?usp=sharing

(.xrns)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z3zEKzteitJebeOmTQhAw8JIg1JaQPy_/view?usp=sharing

Asper by zOne.sk

Asper by zOne.sk - Synthesiser Plugin VST VST3

Raegaes track

4 Likes

Good work man

1 Like

You’ve definitely made @Raegae 's odd tempo jam your own. That’s a good thing for sure. The sound design is also quite nice and tight. And I feel in that sense it’s an improvement over the original track.

The thing is, and I’m being brutally honest here, though it’s meant entirely in a constructive way. But if you’re not up for that, please stop reading.

I find your track to be very boring. I feel there is no spice, no oomph to it. I would love to hear this with a bit more musical and rhythmic tension. You’ve got all the ingredients. The little arpeggio, the big bass and dark, ominous sounds. You’ve also got build ups and drops. But I think you’re not going big enough. And that’s a shame cause there really is something here.

So if you’re up for it I would suggest adding a few spicy notes to your bass parts as well as some syncopation. And really leaning into your rises and drops. With a “go big, or go home” mentality.

You’ve got the nice,dark and tense sounds. Now add the notes to give your track that actual tension. Stop it from being a paper tiger and put some real claws on it that grip you and take you along for the ride. Rather than something that meanders on.

I know this can come across as rather harsh but I say it with the best of intentions. Cause I think there is a great track hiding in there somewhere. Anyway, those are just my thoughts on your track.

1 Like

This threw me off at first, thinking it would lead to your XRNS file rather than the audio of your tune. So my first thought when I hit play on the Sound Cloud link was “this sounds exactly the same”, not realizing I was actually listening to @Raegae 's original. :sweat_smile:

Anyway, good stuff. You totally made it your own. And I like what you’re doing.

For my tastes it’s a little slow. So if you don’t mind me saying, I’d be inclined to add another, faster layer underneath it. To breath some more life into it. And I feel that the production side of things could use some more love. It’s a bit a weak sounding. Something some more compression could probably solve. Maybe not more compression on the master but rather on the stems. Make it a bit beefier.

Though my biggest gripe I have with your track is that it feels unfinished to me. By the time it starts going it ends. And not in a way that feels like a definitive statement. That feels like a waste to me. I’d love to hear your develop it further and take it to different places. But that’s just how I feel about it, of course.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I would advise you to take a listen to my other tracks on soundcloud. You most certanly will find what you are missing in this track. Please tell me if there is a track you found their where you found these missing elements.

1 Like

Cool. I listened to your tracks Mothership, I Fell In Love With A Scammer, Never Stop Loving and the StarChild album. And you’re right. A lot of the points that I bring up in my feedback on your mix of Reagea’s tune are present in those.

Please don’t take this as anything hostile. Instead please take it as I intend it, like it’s being said with a smile and the best of intentions.

Does it really matter those tunes do have it? Cause I feel they are absent in your remix of Reagae’s tune. And that’s what I listened to and based my opinion on.

The fact that I now know what you’re capable off kind of makes it worse. It feels like you’re leaving money on the table with your remix. Or being lazy with it. Not that any of that matters, of course. It’s just my opinion. The only thing that matter is how you feel about it.

ps. I really like the driving, pushing feel of Rising To The Spirit World and Synthwave Memory. Nice!

1 Like

Thank you for checking out my other tracks. Indeed the remix is not one of my best works, and I accept that. Creating a track for me is enjoying the experience and it is never a goal to create something perfect. Most tracks I create are terrible and sometimes I get to create a gem. This experince, being able to create a remix for one of my favorite (renoise) forums, going way back to when I started creating music with no following. I am always thankfull for each musical experience and eternaly greatfull to those who listen to my music. I hope to keep on participating in these compos and listening to the creativity of others. And appeciate any feedback on my music.

1 Like

The thing is i gave up on it very quickly because i have some of my own tracks i want to finish,maybe i will revisit it one day.Thanks for the feedback

1 Like