Multi-composer-track

My pc could play maybe 95% of the beatbattle entries with no problems, so I don’t really think reverbs and delays are gonna affect the work.
<_<

PS: Holy crap, i’m a local chief member! How about that!

:D

So all my posting finally paid off… whatever local chief member means :rolleyes: pass the peace pipe.

P.T: you’re right… Maybe it would be better not using VST plugs (due the CPU usage).
This means we must build up a samplepack which rocks!!

I have some sample copyright free cds, mostly pads and strings… So if you need something contact me…

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512 Mb Ram
Windows XP professional
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Renoise 1.28 full
DSL connection

yes, don’t use VST stuff at all: this project could be a great promotion for ReNoise capabilities, so if we will distribute it as a plain RNS file, it will be better, though actually VST support IS a ReNoise feature :)

That´s why I think we should really use a samplepackage (a big one I suggest and no loops I would say)

Yes, think that´s right. No ripped samples.

Ok, agreed, no VSTi’s then :slight_smile:

As for adding samples… I’ve got a whole load of samples on my machine, and I’m pretty good at finding my way around my sample library now… if when it gets to my turn, I receive a file that’s (say) 10MB, I don’t see why I can’t just add some of my samples (hell… depending on what the music sounds like when it comes round to my turn, I was thinking about taking some samples of my guitar!)… in other words, why do we need a sample pack to start with?

That said - between us, I expect we have a huge library of stuff that could be useful to each other - gimme a week or so to set up a server to host all this stuff, and you can start uploading cool stuff.

Also, I should’ve set a “(??)” around the 30MB limit - if you’re the person who recieves a 29.9MB file, then you’d end up pretty screwed :D it’s really there as a guideline to make sure that the one member using an 800 baud modem in Iran has some hope of being able to get the file!

Also… starting the song… the person with the first part has the most difficult (and possibly the most rewarding!) job, so I’m not sure it’s wise to just give this job to the first person to sign up! Anyone got any other ideas? Make it random? Give it to the first volunteer? :slight_smile:

OR… we could say screw that, and the first person can write his track as though it were in the middle, and anyone could add their music to either the beginning or the end of the track? (but not both). I’m not sure whether I like this idea or not… what do you guys think?

I´m also still not sure if we really should have filesizelimit. This would give us to much limitations, especially for the last turns, for adding samples.
In my opinion the one who does the finalmix then could also try to optimize the filesize again maybe. But additionally we don´t should have such a limitation (well except the file exceed the 100meg zone or so… :P)
My sight of course.

Sounds also good. But what do we expect if we have such a big libary? First the composer have to pick the sorts of samples he want. Minor thing. (maybe you could split in sample-genres but to pick the some right still takes time)
Second (I see it on myself) people could do really abuse and doing a sample-chaos in the song (which I don´t hope). dont know :unsure:

In case we´re going for a samplepack I´m thinking about that:
Everybody who wants to add some stuff to the pack, gets a limit of maybe lets say 2 - 3 MB? (No loops I think… agian) The composer should make sure he adds some balanced samples then (Myself I don´t want to see hundreds of leads and one basedrum) Also the samples shouldn´t be in WAV-Format. As Bantai also already said I think it would be good to have them in ogg or mp3. This would reduce the sample-filesize.

Thoughts to dat?

I hope we don´t ;) But yes good question. I would like to have all speed settings and patternlenghts allowed?! I guess it´s not such a BIG deal except if someone wants to try out some “speedcore”. Maybe if the composer of that part also thinks about us he could use maybe a lower speed etc… retriggering retriggering retriggering… :ph34r:

mhhh… at least… dunno :blink:

are we sure that we will need 100mb of samples?

I think that, by using envelopes and built-in effects, we can create a good variety of sounds. We use trackers, not Acid., don’t we?

On my side, I will contribute with a couple of <1kb samples.

How do we know what samples we need before we’ve tried to start writing the music? You should be allowed to add samples (within reason!) as and when needed…

it’d be too restrictive, and some people won’t know how to work with what they have!

We should organise where to put them though… eg.

1-16 is for percussion samples
17 - 24 is for lead
25 - 32 is for bass

etc…

Aww, come on, people will create music according to their skills if they try hard enough, even with a small selection of samples… Check out the beatbattles, for example. Quite an astonishing variety of music!!!

B)

Max rows in a pattern is 512, not 256.

hey people,
I must say Im really looking forward to this…
I find it quite hard to contribute anything to making this thing work, though!
especially with guys like P.T, Giles C and Bantai thinking things through real good… but I still have some general thoughts after reading the last posts…

• a generic samplepack (say 8-10mb?) with possibillity to add your own
    (with a 2-3mb limit / composer…?) would be, imho, enough…

• I don’t think we’ll catch the Azazin’s Syndrome since that means
    only using 8 or 16 rows per pattern and we don’t do that, do we? ;) :D

• samplebanks? the generic samplepack in two and then assign one for each
    composer to use… ??? bad idea?

• the way I understood the project was to compose one long, huge mother-of-a-song… right?
    not that each composer does his own little tune within the Rns and just connects it with the former composers stuff…
    What’s intriguing to me is the collaborative side to it… I have to take into consideration what the guys before me has done and take that further, continue a theme, close a theme, open a new theme, make references to an old one etc. with respect
    to what has been done and to what is yet to be done…

• turns? take 5min limited turns until song reaches 1hr or until all composers
    has done their part…

• I guess we’re all more or less experienced trackers and everything, once started, will work out nicely…

in closing… whatever is being decided Im all for it… Ive got no probs conforming… and from what Ive understood from previous posts all ideas is more or less reasonable… it’s just a matter of choosing…
Im in this because this is the biggest tracker co-op Ive heard of… :P

Andy

Don’t know about this. Generally it would be nice to have a really big sample poll or whatever but I’m still curious about this because we could do a real mess with tooooo much samples (yes I know a very far fetched opinion)
Following that: As I suggested a sample gathering together could be fine. And you can ofcourse add some of your guitar samples. Now…how about that? :)

Awww… nearly forgot something :)

The layout for the website (no special thing) of this project is finished (I guess). Well, there’s no really content at the moment and the above-banner sucks a bit (maybe you all have an idea how could we call our project generally? ;))

At all many things to do :)

here the link:
http://www.ptrance.de/renoise

Just tell me what you think, what you want, what you don’t want bla bla

edit

ermm… first question from me. Should I rename or rework the “powered by Renoise” thing. Guess we’re powered by the Program not the Team yet according to the resonance??? :blink: :unsure:

Ok, I’ve come up with my idea for the song title :slight_smile:

The Great Sample War

I’ve gone back to renoise 1.28… cuz a song i’m working on wouldn’t open in 1.27 since i started on it with 1.28.

bummer

:unsure:

Ok, guess I can life with that. B)

SO, if everyone is satisfied with this solution we could set a package-size and an adding-limit. In the past I was thinking about somewhere like 30 megs but now I would say a less bigger pack (maybe 10-15MB? hopefully well balanced) would we enough. For the sample-adds I would recommend a really low amount like (lets say) 1-2MB???

Good or good??

:)

My little name idea (sucks I know :ph34r: !) : “Surrounded by easy but still difficult questions”

Pretty stupid name, eh?

erm… just want to remind you guys in case of the genre and sample-gathering:

Keep in mind that you put in some electronic-like-stuff then. The poll-deciscion shouldn´t be for nada I think. ;)

Yes “guest”:

a samplepack of 20 Mb (I guess it’s better than 10), then everyone can add samples (only during his first turn, if we’ll decide to use composing turns (I didn’t understand it yet)) with 2-2,5 Mb of limit… I think it would be good…

About the name: let’s give it a temporary title and decide when it’s finished. Sometimes music helps the right words to come out…

Aye! I agree…

myTitle suggestion: Marathon Tracks

Ok, so what’s going in the initial sample pack? :slight_smile: Here we go… more rules to argue about… heh…

Drums, obviously -

2 snares (one electronic, one normal?)
2 bass drums (one electronic, one normal)
2 closed hihats
1 ride
2 crash
several toms (electronic, and normal)
claves, clicks, etc.
silly noises :slight_smile: (actually, I reckon people should add these themselves, especially since they’re usually pretty small, but we may want a couple to start with).

Bass -

1 looped acoustic bass sound
a few electronic sounds

Pads and strings -

1 multi-sampled looped orchestral string
1 soft pad/synth string sound
2 other pad sounds

Lead -

3 lead sounds - preferably one sine-based, one saw-based, and one square-based

Misc -

Atmospheric noises

1 multi-sampled piano?? (may be pretty large…? I have a 4mb one and a 27mb one :-))

I have the Maz instruments CD (heh… who doesn’t? :-)) and a couple of other sample disks, plus a Gem Equinox pro 88, Alesis QS6 and SB Audigy Platinum to sample from, oh, and two guitars, and all those damn VSTs :slight_smile:

I agree with those sample choices. :)
That’s more than enough to start with.