My Renoise Song Template

Kinda like predelay?

Yes, indeed, and well camouflaged. Compressor on every track, Bus Compressor on every group track. Sounds like a plan.

I had to think about this for several times until I thought that I got it. And I still think about it. Nice math.

Nice job! I would have built it the same way I think, probably with some slight differences. Works well, I just have to make some more tests. What I’m unsure about: What does “q>>wide” do? It doesn’t seem to affect anything.

Edit:

Me too! That’s the only way to go when you want to have better options in terms of mixing. So these bass tracks are intended for more instrument basses and not for layering. Yes, bass is nice and important.

1 Like

in the spirit of sharing and participation - this is what I’ve been working with for the past few weeks:

Template_Dupree1.xrns (63.3 KB)

several borrowed ideas in there! Many thanks to all you kind and generous souls.

and my custom theme
Mandy.xrnc (5.0 KB)

1 Like

Your template looks like “@slujr light”. Interesting, you’re mostly using Hydra and Tape Delay, two devices I’ve never used. Do you consider “M/S” to be the bus receiving the signals from those tracks you want to process mid/side?

No one benefits from taking knowledge to the grave, but everyone benefits from better mixes and better music. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I do. This is the method you stopped using, right?

Not surprising! I would be remiss to not tip the hat to him, his videos on Youtube have given me countless tips and workflow ideas. On youtube I’m Big Nasty J.

I do most of my processing and effects layering in the instrument FX section and then also usually go crazy in the instrument modulation section assigning independent lfo banks and the hydras to instrument macros for (somewhat controlled) randomization and or automated control (via the automatron and automasher tools or else in the FX command column).

I love the Glitch2 vst but actually that lead me to discovering the repeater device which I use with an LFO randomly activating and deactivating it.

my mixes have a long way to go!

1 Like

Yes, but I used this bus only temporarily and in a slightly different way. M/S was my third bus next to the drum bus and the instrument bus. Basically I used M/S as a layer. I kept the signals from the drum bus and instrument bus and mixed a smaller amount of M/S in. Mid/Side processing also has got a downside, and that’s panning, see above. That’s why I kept the original signal as the “main signal” and used M/S as a layer. For the same reason I now prefer to treat only specific instruments with mid/side processing, only the “main stuff” (like the centered drums except kick or pads and strings) to be exact.

Yes, you work differently than me. I had to check what’s going on first. :grin:

Just like my mixes. I think I won’t be satisfied until I’ve achieved a mixing quality like Röyksopp. And probably this will never happen, because I will remain an amateur aka music creation hobbyist forever, and time is short.

1 Like

I just have noticed panning issues with this setup, just like mid/side. Obviously I missed something, but I think that I got it now. The missing link is hard panning left and right of rear left and rear right (at the end of the chain), just like this:
TNT template.xrns (13.3 KB)
Now I’m looking for a way to combine rear bus and mid/side. This would be ideal. :wink:

1 Like

Why not simply include free, crossplatform vsts where Renoise is lacking? For example melda or voxengo stuff…

Also keep in mind that summing tracks into a send might introduce disadvantages in multicore processing. At least I remember similar statements by Taktik.

1 Like

Geeks do what geeks do :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I usually do all the time. :wink:
Any suggestions for a compressor featuring dual mono mode? Apart from the pricey stuff (150-300 €) I just have found Klanghelm DC8C and Klanghelm MJUC. And I think Lindell 7X-500 could do that via “Stereo Link”, too.

Yeah, the melda free bundle is a total life-saver

If you mean a commercial one, indeed only a few can do dual mono, for example pro-c2 (dont like it because of huge latencies), Melda MDynamics or U-He Presswerk. But I guess you mean budget plugins.

IMHO a really, really good compressor is Toneboosters BusCompressor V3, which now is free. Very underestimated plugin and packed with a ton of features. I think it’s even better than their new plugin TB Compressor V4. Maybe give it a try:

A pity that they decided to stop development, and there is no native M1 version. And no sidechain support either. I guess due warez or so…

Renoise compressors lack of sidechain shaping stuff, or simply a parallel container supporting sidechain and an improved gainer device.

Maybe DMG Audio Compassion would be worth a look, too.

2 Likes

Exactly, I don’t want to spend hundrets of Euros if I can do it natively in Renoise by myself (works fine now, no issues at all) or with a free or a budget compressor. If I would like to spend a lot of money I could also buy the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, Vertigo VSC-3 and more. But who spends a lot of money if there are equal free and/or budget options?

Hm, you need to download the whole V3 package (for free) by Tonebusters (contains 23 plugins) to get this compressor. But I will check it out. According to my researches the Klanghelm compressors are the best there is (also in comparison with the pricey ones), and everybody seems to be speechless because of its low price. That’s why I’m thinking… Keep the native solution (see my current template) with RL and RR or use a compressor in dual mono mode on one fx track and drop the second one?

Klanghelm is some kind of secret tip for a long time… Only when I tried it, I couldn’t get out of it the sound I wanted, but maybe you have more luck. Can you report your experiences?

Here is another free one with dual mono, also continued:

1 Like

Will do if I buy it. I would buy the DC8C, because the highly praised MJUC is a FET compressor and I already own a very good FET compressor. But I will check your suggestion first, Kotelnikov seems to be quite good. It’s very transparent, I like that. A rear bus compressor has to be as much transparent as possible. And I also like the layout of Kotelnikov. The term “Stereo Sensitivity” is misleading, but according to my researches this is nothing more than “Stereo Link”, so in fact it can be “stereo”, “dual mono” and everything in between.

Another compressor that seems to be one of the best there is, is the Unisum Mastering Compressor. If I would like to spend a lot of money for a compressor, this would probably be the one I would buy.

1 Like

What’s so good about Unisum Comp? Seems to be for mastering only, too?

Is there any compressor for mastering only? A mastering compressor is a compressor with more options, but it’s a compressor, and you could use it on any track, right?! What I personally like about the Unisum is the clear layout, dual mono mode, multiband detector and that it’s obviously pretty transparent. I haven’t tested it myself, but here’s a review:

Well, I tried it once, and honestly couldn’t find anything fancy, but might be because I am still a noob. I would think about logically what a compressor does and what is so special about this one…? And I don’t trust in youtube “reviews”. Then something configurable like mdynamics is a better choice, because it can emulate most of compressors. Or maybe mturbocomp, both are for sale every year. But I am curious if you will find a good argument for the unisum compressor.

That’s why you should check the reviews by professionals like the one above. The arguments are right there. If you’re a noob and you don’t trust anybody you’ll remain a noob forever. Personally I will never spend around 200 € for a compressor, that’s why I won’t check it out for now. I’m good with the ones I already own. But maybe I’ll check it out again next Black Friday, who knows. Btw, I’ve never seen a “fancy” compressor, I don’t know what you’re after… A compressor compresses stuff, no more and no less. As long as a compressor does that well and maybe also has some more options just like for example Unisum, it’s interesting and good enough. I’m sure you could “emulate” any compressor you can imagine with that, too. Maybe in combination with a saturator.

1 Like

Well, that is your opinion, but I am pretty sure that MDynamics is a way better choice, if you want to spend such amount of money. And a lot of those “professionals” tend to believe in voodoo and vendor hype, they are used to “magic” technical concepts, an expensive hardware device. Those plugin vendors then copy such hardware stuff often 1:1, which makes no sense either than triggering the voodoo. Why you should buy a more expensive compressor, if you can have a less expensive one which can do the same, but also a lot more?

1 Like

Right, of course I prefer cheaper stuff if it is equal compared to the expensive stuff, no doubt. I just don’t get the “voodoo” you’re talking about. If someone tend “to believe in voodoo” it’s not the independent professionals like David Gnozzi, it’s the social media wannabe experts. It’s not hard to distinguish professionals from wannabes. In the end you will have to think yourself. So yes, it makes sense to think logically what it’s all about and how to achieve X and Y. That’s why I still prefer the native “Compressor”. In 95% of all possible cases it does the job and it costs nothing.