Native Software Synthesizers

+1

(Yet another Linux user)
I think Renoise would do well with native synths.

Some sort of 3 oscillator synth and a basic FM synth would do wonders.

And again… Hundreds of syntns available, for free or for money, that work great in Renoise on platforms that aren’t Linux thanks to programmers programming them.

If we’re talking “using the right tools”, perhaps we should start with the OS? :wink:

Anyway, I think a synth would be cool. I’m not against the idea. But a lot of arguments here that are counter intuitive to the reality that Linux isn’t the only choice/tool.

in general, there are no many sequencers which feature a built-in synth. Most of them, have only their own synths, which is seen as a limitation.

None of these are multi-platform, as far as I know.

personally I would be happy to see such a feature implemented, but there are really tons of alternatives around, even under Linux (provided that you want to use JACK or MIDI), and lots of other things to do which have currently no alternative in Renoise (better MIDI mapping, to name one which I would not use).

I don’t think any of the requesting users is blaming Renoise for the lack of good synths under Linux, but maybe they would like to see DSSI or LV2 support in Renoise, which is understandable from an user point of view, but can result into a fail from a practical point of view (mainly because there are not many instruments available for these two standards).

Also on linux is energyXT and a synth is integrated. Really bad and you can cross projects over to others with another os running. Really bad! <_<

The developing can also split in a “special” edition of renoise with a minimal higher price for a native synth.

I would pay for this feature. And wait. The most will be have the “special” upgrade. ;)

Logically renoise must grow. That alone is not done with the optimizing of the handling.

^_^

I have been thinking the same. It could also be plugin that you can purchase alone?
I wouldn’t pay for simple wave generator but i would pay gladly for a advanced synth. I rather focus on the music than how to build the sound i want.

I was just wondering that how much it would increase linux users if there was good native synth available?
Should we make a poll? ^_^

A poll would it make clear, i think. If renoise will get more users it must move to new horizons.
Not every new user is a hardcore tracker, who want keep things “retro”.

I miss a statement from the dev about the possibility of an synth. I mean. Can the devs integrate it or would it make too much trouble?

;)

Depends on complexity of the synth i would think. ;)

The thing is–VST synths–you can’t really do with them the same amount of things you can do with samples though–like the fast arpeggio thing and smooth pitch bends–if there were built-in synths that more could be done with than with vst’s it would truly be worth while.

Remember, there are a number of VST’s that are only made on one platform, whether it be Mac, Windows, OR Linux. Having synths that are cross-platform would be quite an advantage.

I know that when even a dot release difference in vst instruments go on, and you try to load a song that used an older version of a VST, Renoise says “fatal error”. I’m sure that sort of thing probably happens as well when people try to load the same VST in a song that was originally from a different platform.

pee ell you ess one

Even something as simple as the ability to use any device as an envelope device would be fun.

(unless you can already do this?_

This is very interesting. From the one side you can make a track and send it to somebody, who wouldn’t had a special edition, so he wouldn’t play that track.
From the second side: He could think about buying a special edition.
I think that this is not a politic of renoise: there exist only 2 versions: demo and full.

Metadevice like oscillator is a best idea I think - usefull for everybody. Connect a 1st metadevice VCO square together with 2nd metadevice VCO squre (-1 octave) to 3rd metadevice ring modulation, connect with 4th metadevice called filter etc… It looks like a modular synth. other metadevices should be such ass sync oscilators, frequency modulations, adsr envelopes, lfos - so you could connect anything to anything, build your own synth… and other users can play it.

I still don’t know how can you compare samples with synth. How can you connect several saw samples through a ring modulator effect and do a magic like it does on synthesizers. You can draw a wave, but I didn’t puzzle out how can you draw a perfect sinus, square, ramp or saw. I must say, that I tried to draw a waveform, applicated effects and it sounded good, but no variability.

If you play a sin sample in 8bit on amiga on a note C1, sampled od C3 note, you will hear a difference :D

Well hasn’t there been talk of revamping the .xrni for quite some time now? If this could be made into a semi-modular system to incorporate multi-layering of samples and basic generators (plus user-generated waves would be nice) with all the associated envelopes, LFOs and maybe the possibility to add a few effects to make handling things like distortion and overall filters easier it would be amazing and not really break away from the current ethos and not seem such a standalone “synth” as such, albeit maybe more powerful than many.

Hello,
I don’t know how to control a cutoff frequency of a sample in an instrument editor. I can make an envelope of a sample, but I you want to cutoff frequency of my envelope, I can’t. I can only adjust my envelope. I miss that cutoff frequency knob. The only possibility is to use filter 3 from effect plugins. Do you know ?

Many people are saying that you can use third party synths with renoise so it is not necessary to have native synths. however how about such a scenario: you are working together with a guy both of you having your own pcs. you are creating the music together so anything you do you get each others opinion. and everytime you do something with the third party synth on your pc you need to make sure that the guy you are working with has that vst also. Because otherwise you wouldnt be able to send him a file in email and just let him open it up and listen to it. he also needs to install that third party…

having a native synth also will ease the process for beginners… why not attract people even more… who ever complained about the instruments provided with ableton… who ever said “ohh these instruments are not necessary, i will of course use third party vsti”

when anybody looks at a software i think it would be much more attractive if it will not make you download all other bunch of software and effects and samples… or at least give you the impression it has a well rounded feature set so it can go solo as long you dont demand much advanced and specialized features from it. therefore a simple synth would be suffice for starters.

and for linux users… I dont think them not having the best synths or apps on their os is the oses fault as amatter of fact it is nobody’s fault. it is companies choices for marketing. well i think as renoise being a very great alternative to those apps in the market today i think it can put itself in a much higher position by filling a great gap in the linux side of things… also if it helps the linux community to grow through providing them a great app to make music on the community will help back even more by providing code for its features. which can come out as great native synths…

Maybe a sort of synth1 on Linux and windows and mac could be nice even for non-renoise users.

I just use a flat envelope. I don’t know if there’s a better way…

But who’s to say the Renoise native synth won’t suck?

Renoise is good at being Renoise. Is it good at being an instrument?

What if the synth delivered is not what people want? “Synth” is pretty vague. It’s like asking Renoise to implement a Virus Scanner. Sure they could do it if they put the time into it, but would it be any good? Or a complete waste of time that people won’t use because there are better 3rd party options already out there?

This thread is kind of ridiculous. The idea of a synth is an interesting one… But, not a lot of reality checks going on here IMHO.

YES!

+1

This would be great :w00t:

Sounds good to me. :dribble:

and for linux users… I understand
somebody could say, that windows is a commercial platform, but there exist hundreds of free vst plugins, but on linux not, it is of course because there are possibly no coders in linux… or what ? I am confused