Native Software Synthesizers

I remember my big disappointment with Reason 4: finally, I had thought, would the Reason coders provide stuff that was actually useful in that long awaited update from version 3. But instead, I soon learned, they had spent all their gunpowder on making… tada – a synth!

The Propellerheads soon learned their lesson as many Reason 3 users, including myself, never bothered to upgrade…

Now, the idea of having a native Renoise synth isn’t bad in itself, outside of context. Who would say “no thanks” if taktik announced his 250 GB rival to Spectrasonics Omnisphere in the Renoise 2.2 version? Or if he informed us that his best friend in Berlin was Urs Heckmann (creator of the synth Zebra and other quality stuff)?

But the idea of having Renoise developers spending valuable time on creating a native synth for Renoise – as against spending it on typical “workflow enhancements” that you simply can’t find a decent substitute for by turning to any 3rd party plugins – is not a very pleasant one IMO. To me that would just seem like a waste of resources.

Hello, maybe this thread is kind of ridiculous, I have to look into a dictionary and recognize what ridiculous mean. But… I tell my thing: I used many years Octamed Soundstudio 1.03c on my Amiga machine 68030/50MHz as a midi sequencer. I didn’t use samples anymore, I used only a tracker as a sequencer for a hardware synthesizer YAMAHA SY85. It was 15 years ago. Here we are in the future or in a present :slight_smile: I know that Renoise is very good as it is and for me better than my beloved Octamed. As an Amiga user, I better choose alternative OS. Now it is linux. Octamed never had a virus scanner, but it has rexx support etc… and on a 50MHz CPU it had no future. I think that a native synth is more closely to renoise that a virus scanner. I never asked a virus company for a native synth or for medicine diagnostics. On the other side, here on Linux a virus scanner is not needed.
And what if people don’t want a synth ? I only gave it a try. That’s my idea and a suggestion, nothing will happen.
Renoise is driven by community, so the future will show it.

As I said, I’m very much against the idea of implementing a native synth inside of Renoise – if such implementation would take time and energy resources from other, more important, features.

However, since Urs Heckmann DOES live in Berlin, and since his synth products are very good – maybe there’s some chance taktik would discuss the possibility of having a product such as the freeware synth TripleCheese to be integrated with Renoise.

Wait a minute… did I say that? Forget it! :unsure:

So best idea came from Bantai.
What improvements do you rate as important for you/renoise ? I am interested in your opinion. I think, that renoise as a tracker is very good itself. Maybe more commands for samples should be useful.

What about helping these guys out…

http://www.linuxsampler.org/features.html

They have most of what would be needed. and with this…

http://www.retrosampling.se/vsti.htm

We’d have the raw material for the sounds. With ReNoises multi outputs, effect chains and re-sampling we’d have pretty powerfull cross platform solution.

Great idea, Bantai.

Yes, linuxsamples should be useful, it can loads gigs. But what with those retrosamples, I have read, that is for winxp and asio needed, so what with us who doesn’t have configured asio in wine.

In my personal opinion I would say: focus on that editing cursor in the pattern editor, and explore what really goes on there.

This…

http://www.retrosampling.se/oscillatorpak/…v1.0%20Free.rar

is in…

WAVE / HALION / KONTAKT / NN19 / NNXT / REFILL / GIGA / MAIZE + STANDALONE +
VSTi FORMAT / DS404 / CMPLAY / SOUNDFONT / EXS24 / DIRECTWAVE / HALION HSB
& KONTAKT MONOLITH

formats. I loaded the wav’s into Renoise (linux) with no propblems. The Linuxsampler Project have just got to the “making a vst” stage. If we help them we’d have a resource that could be any sound under the sun, multi platform and multi format loading using streaming hardrive/memory leaving the cpu horse power for Renoise. The Renoise team wouldn’t have to change what they are doing and we’d have a huge resource of sounds which would be effectively open format.

If there is a shortage of synths in Linux, it would be better if Linux native synth plugins were developed, which all Linux users could take advantage of. Making good sounding synths is a lot of work, I would rather see those resources spent on improving Renoise itself.

Well being a good synth depends on a lot of different factors , filters ,antialiased osc’s etc…
We all know that filter 3 sounds amazing …so it only comes down to the quality of the osc’s ( be it sample based or dsp generated )…plus some insane routing …I would be thrilled if renoise had it own native synth

indeed the way I see it is that this synth could be a part of XRNI innovation.

together with some powerful XRNI additions, the embedded synth could be something relatively simple, such as a basic set of oscillators which can be “seen” as a sample by Renoise.

+1
I also like the idea for implementing a native synth into Renoise.

That’s basically what I said earlier. I don’t see why it should be so far fetched. The addition i
of detunable generators (rather than just sample playback) could enhance this quality-wise but isn’t THAT important.

It is a subject I’ve always said isn’t so worth the programmer’s time in the past though. I don’t know if it’s me that changed, or with the Linux port and users sounding so abject with lack of usable synths, or if I just feel Renoise has already come on so far since I started using it that it’s in a position to really think about this (at least in the long run as part of the proposed xrni shape-up.)

This must be differentiated. Renoise is avaible also for linux and from this point is the integration of a native synth a really good improvement. For me as a linux user is it tasteless to see that almost many ideas are discussed from the view (win/mac). I mean. For me counts no solution from win or mac.

I wonder why are so desperately against this idea will be addressed?

What can be an integrated synth go on the nerves?

The native synth must not be used if you are always running thousand of your lovely vsti! :blink:

For all the others with not the universe full of solutions will it a nice upgrade.

It is not democratic, minorities are not supposed to hear.

I hope for the dev to keep this in mind. In the past they have decided to explore in linux land and now its time to bring it to the next level.

^_^

In my opinion best solution for me would be if i could run any vst’s in renoise no matter what os you are using. I think that native synth is easy start for new users and would make renoise more appealing for them.

A good example is LMMS.

They have managed to integrate ZynAddSubfX (a great synth for linux and windows)

This is a role model. ;)

But ZynAddSubfX supports JACK, so integrating it on Linux is redundant?

What’s the point of Renoise going out of it’s way to support the JACK protocol on Linux if no one will use it?

as someone stated earlier, it can go on nerves if what people are asking is a full-featured synth like the ones you pay $$ as a VST, because adding this feature into Renoise would take lots of programming resources. personally I would find a simple oscillator generator a great addition, provided that this will come together with a complete revision of the XRNI format, which is hopefully going to be performed during the 2.x cycle.

actually, Renoise already supports the VST format under all the platforms, as it can run native VST plugins on Win, Mac and Linux. also, you could run native Win VST plugins through FST. If there are very few native VST plugins under Linux, and if FST does not work well, that’s nothing you can blame Renoise about

If the developers really interested in having Linux as an audio platform to support this argument may not help.
That is not satisfactory.

It is just this position in an operating system (win/mac) to represent the already enough attention and as an audio environment is established.

The question of the developers should also read: How can I get my product more attractive to Linux users shape.

;)

Yes, exactly. And the real argument for such a huge waste of programming resources seems actually to be: “Linux users need a good synth for their Linux systems, since there are so few of them around. Renoise works on Linux, therefore Renoise developers should develop a a good native synth to fill the void.”

Seriously, I think many Renoise users – regardless of which OS they’re using – need to ask themselves a question: To what extent can I get feature X without involving Renoise devs to provide it for me?

And then, IMO, only when the answer is: “There is NO WAY whatsoever to get feature X, by any means, unless Renoise devs provide that feature” – then it is proper, given the context of limited developmental resources, to actually put forth the suggestion as a serious demand.