Native Software Synthesizers

a far stronger argument would be the following: simple oscillators set + XRNI2 format would give to any platform far more than what simple VST synths can give. I strongly believe this is true, as you could literally build your own synth into an XRNI2 file.

I haven’t found any decent solution to run win vst in linux yet, not that i blame renoise about it either.

I think i didn’t make myself clear enough earlier. I ment that if renoise had some kind of solution that allowed using win-vst directly in linux and mac, and other way around too, would be great. I have no idea if it’s possible and how much effort it would take.

This thread is like a Moebius loop.

There is no solution to run Windows VST on Linux or Mac. VST are compiled binaries. For the same reason you can’t run iTunes on Linux, or Internet Explorer on a Mac, you can’t easily run non-native VST on other platforms. Any solution to this problem is a horrible, resource pig, hack.

I use MacOSX. Windows has hundreds more VST than OSX. That’s fine. I chose MacOSX. I understand my choice.

The lack of Linux VST is not a problem for Renoise to solve. It’s a general problem with the Linux platform that will hopefully change with programmers programming for it.

So again, where are the programmers? (pro tip: on other platforms, where money is to be made…)

Actually in terms of Mac that isn’t true anymore with the SM pro wrapper you can now run windows VST in Mac hosts ;)
I suspect it wont be long that this type of idea becomes the norm
Yes it is a compiled binary but that does not mean it is impossible to do and the reports so far on the SM pro wrapper have been very very favourable

Bungle

im all for a native synth. no matter how simple.i’m a windows userbut i dont like to use vsts often. just a hassle i guess compared to how much you can manipulate a sample.

Hmmm, interesting. Link please?

Better extend XRNI format than put an another internal plugin. Synthesis is build in Renoise already (“S+S”) - it’s just need to be improved. I’d like to se better support for multisamples, layering, velocity/key tracking, etc.

It’s not bad idea to include generated oscillators thought. Then we could have some really minuscule xrns files. :)

+1
Much better then including native synthesizers. We need a powerful, open, cross platform plugin framework.
But I think this is out of the scope of Renoise.

I think a native synth would be an awesome idea. Not for people with a long time experience. But for complete new musicians whom first program is Renoise. I can imagine it is weird when your a noob checking out the instrument tab, and seeing no instrument(s) at all.

This is why, for example Fruity Loops, is so much in use by newbies. It has direct basic synthesizer software. So people can get away with the program easier.

I remember I didn’t had any idea of VST’s and stuff back when I started to make music on the pc.

Just like their are native effects, native samples, there is a need for a basic instrument…

The only thing that I’m worried about, is this wouldn’t bring the price of Renoise up… Which would be real sad… :P

If built-in synths could be maniuplated like samples (including things like smooth pitch bends without having to use a fast BPM, and effect-command-based arpeggios, as well as many other things you can normally only do with a sample), it could really prove to be extra-useful. If it simply acts like a regular VST, then it seems rather pointless, and having Renoise bring up an HTML readme that links to free instruments right after an install would be a better idea, to me.

I don’t like the idea…

I’d hate to think that precious development time would be spent working on synths (when there’s already so many VSTs and the Rewire capability).

I’d sooner see the core app and effects develop at the same steady pace rather than slowed down by synth sideprojects.

You miss that renoise is also on linux! Go and check kvr for linux-plugs and you will see that are giant differences. ;)

Nope didn’t miss that at all, I’m just not a huge Linux fan when it comes to audio. tbh I’d rather see the Win version maxed out before Linux or OSX. If we start catering for every other OS where do we draw the line? Should we go back and make a Renoise for SID on the C64 and spend time bringing that up to speed or should we just focus on the leading Win version? I favour the latter.

exactly what i think about it aswell

I tried this. It’s a novel idea, but not a very realistic one. I will be sticking to MacOSX native plug-ins. More info here.

Can’t people on Linux who are really feeling a lack of VST synths just use a dual boot to also have Windows on it for music production?

The fact that this thread has danced around (and I’ve only read about 5 posts because I don’t really want to waste my time) is that windows is probably a better environment for music production. And I just said “probably” to help ease the thought into the minds of dedicated Linux people who will get upset.

There are more and better VST’s available in windows. If you want the greatest range of flexibility in terms of production, run windows. You can still use Linux for all other needs. The only reason not to is if you have some type of ethical belief why you shouldn’t run windows. And if so, that is fine. But at the end of the day, if making the best possible music is your greatest concern, run whatever gives you the most possibilities.

I know that Renoise supports Linux, but I almost feel “why bother”. I know many will be upset by this post. I’m not saying this to incite anger or anything. It’s just that windows has more resources available to you as a producer. I wouldn’t use windows on my webserver (I use FreeBSD). So why use Linux to make music. (Unless, of course, you don’t mind the missing VST’s. Then go to town!)

Final note – my thoughts on adding a native synth to renoise – a massive waste of time. Maximize it’s abilities as a tracker/sequencer/sampler and arranger first. At least the major things that are obviously needed like more accurate sample offsets, better interface on fine timings, etc.

I think this point is not clear. Who said that it is so? Any argument from tatik on this? ;)

There really isn’t much difference between a good subtractive synth and a good samplers. Mostly just different modulation options (like pulse width, playing position, loop start/end positions and so on). When the XRNI gets updated it might as well have couple of oscillators.

Not only some linux or mac users think, that a native synth is a good idea. Here were some users from windows platform, who think that this is a good idea.
Yes, maybe my idea came only from linux. But if renoise wouldn’t has native effects, you should use only vst effects. So somebody made a code for native effects and there is some development on that. I still think that it could be a good step to make a native synth or space/platform for native synth plugins to port existing free synths to renoise. This is a wish. I know that on hardware digital synths it is a digital signal processing what makes all the work and digital effect isn’t far away from a digital sound. It depends on connection. So if anyone know how to make a digital effect, possibly there is a single to step to add an oscillator to a signal processing. Some users in this forum think that a simple synth is very interesting.
And again I know that renoise is a music tracker, basicly for samples and can manage midi instruments. I own two hardware synthesizers, I should be satisfied. So this is my idea & suggestion, but sometimes it looks like a flame war between platforms. And of course, I respect your opinion.

I use only linux, native version