New note columns created when recording one-shot samples

As per this thread: New column being created every note

Description: In live record mode, playing the same note, a new column is created every note.

Steps to Repro:

1. Load a sample with some length (a few seconds will do).
  2. Set sample to one-shot
  3. Press record and play to start live recording
  4. Record consecutive notes fast enough for each note to be before reading the end of the sample.

Expected Result:
The notes are recorded into one note column

Actual Results:
A new note column is created every every note

Youtube video demo (thanks gova):
http://youtu.be/QZ2P6bU1bQI

I can reproduce this with any sample that’s long enough. I’ve attached an .xnri with the amen break just for an example.

edit: Here is a video I took of it:

Youtube mirror:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtkvaXLF3U

After coming back to Renoise after a long time, I pretty soon stumbled across this. This bug completely prevents me (well, everyone actually) from properly recording stuff! Cannot believe that such a serious bug has been left unfixed (in fact, it wasn’t even acknowledged!) for over 7 months now! Really disappointing…

Sorry for the late reply. Seem to have missed this topic until now.

The behaviour is indeed a bit confusing, but it’s correct: Samples with “One-Shot” ignore Note-Offs, but placing/playing a new note on the same column still applies NNA actions and thus would stop them. So notes must be placed on a new column in order to continue.

Setting NNA to “continue” in combination with “One-Shot” should allow to reuse the same column though. I think that’s what you’re refering to here:
https://forum.renoise.com/t/can-anyone-explain-recording-midi-to-me/42897

Either way this still plays back correctly. Renoise simply does not reuse the same column when it could. We’ll look into that and will try to get that fixed.

I think it is a real pity that this has not been fixed for 3.1.

I did find a workaround for now (and that is using an ADSR with longest release, instead of one-shot-mode), but having this work with one-shot-mode (i.e. by just hitting a button) would be much preferable.

The funny thing is, that the bug does not occur, when, instead of using the one-shot button, using an ADSR with a very long delay. For now, this is a workaround, but conceptually, I do not understand why those two should lead to different results.

I just dug up this topic because I tried to record drums again, and noticed it was still doing this.

Sorry for the late reply. Seem to have missed this topic until now.

The behaviour is indeed a bit confusing, but it’s correct: Samples with “One-Shot” ignore Note-Offs, but placing/playing a new note on the same column still applies NNA actions and thus would stop them. So notes must be placed on a new column in order to continue.

Setting NNA to “continue” in combination with “One-Shot” should allow to reuse the same column though. I think that’s what you’re refering to here:
https://forum.renoise.com/t/can-anyone-explain-recording-midi-to-me/42897

Either way this still plays back correctly. Renoise simply does not reuse the same column when it could. We’ll look into that and will try to get that fixed.

Setting continue doesn’t work. I don’t know if that was working and stopped for some reason in a certain release or not, but it’s definitely not working now.

The funny thing is, that the bug does not occur, when, instead of using the one-shot button, using an ADSR with a very long delay. For now, this is a workaround, but conceptually, I do not understand why those two should lead to different results.

Long release value works, but does force you to slightly face out a sample that’s already has its own fade out. You can hardly if at all notice it though.

You can also prevent recording into multiple cloumns by activating the instrument’s mono mode (with glide level off) while recording and deactivate it again after recording. You can find that function in the instrument selector’s instrument properties.This is the way i do.