New Tool (1.0.0): Colugo - Creative YouTube sampler

Colugo is a Renoise tool designed to enhance your music production workflow. It automates the process of creating samples from YouTube videos based on specified keywords, allowing you to specify the number of samples, their length, and more, to streamline your creative process in Renoise.

colugo-screenshot

I was inspired by this twitter post:

https://twitter.com/ColugoMusic/status/1726001266180956440

He was using Renoise as a playback device. I decided to build the script into a Renoise tool with some additional features.

General info here:

Download V1 here:

Please report any bugs.

4 Likes

Wow :star_struck: Checking this out immediately. Awesome work!

Cool tool idea.I tried it but nothing happens. I have ffmpeg both python 3.11 installed on my win10 machine. I do have yt-dlp but i don’t know if that’s really installed opposed to being a “portable” app. I use it all the time from window’s command prompt.

It hangs here and eventually when I hit stop sampling it mentions the script has stopped.
colungo

Thanks for reporting. It looks like the python script isn’t being run.

From your powershell (or whatever you use), navigate to the tools Renoise folder and try to run it with this command:

python3 yt-downloader.py /your/output/path --num_videos 1 --sample_length 500

This will test if the python script will work without the tool initiating it.

1 Like

trying on macOS Sonoma now.
btw, can you change it so that the Number of Videos can be larger than 32?

without any specific configuration, i can confirm that it does not work. now trying the yt-downloader.py route.

ok, that one will safely download tons of stuff, so not entirely sure what’s going on here with the Renoise implementation.

any ideas?

Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated. I got it to work.
TL:DR: It seems it doesn’t like spaces in the output path

When I ran your suggested code in the Renoise Tools folder it downloaded 1 wav file. But from inside of Renoise it was still no joy.

Words saved and Output path set.
usage: yt-downloader.py [-h] [–num_videos NUM_VIDEOS]
[–sample_length SAMPLE_LENGTH]
output_dir

Nothing happened after that. Changing the output path from F:\Samples\Random Youtube Samples to C:\Users\Vincent\Desktop\RandomSounds fixed it. After some further testing it appears the tool does not like spaces in its output folder. Once those were removed it worked, thanks!!

1 Like

It seems I need to make a tweak to how the output path is passed to the python script. I will provide an update today.

btw, can you change it so that the Number of Videos can be larger than 32?

Sure.

Give this build a try and let me know if that fixes the issue. Thanks

1 Like

digging in.
well, the 100 max limit is now introduced. thanks!

for some reason, still doesn’t actually start doing anything re: saving files to my ytube folder.
and if i run the python3 yt-downloader.py – i’ll be getting files without issues.
is there some way of running this within Renoise’s Scripting Editor & Terminal, to see what Renoise is trying to output or what’s going on?

That’s strange. I wonder if there’s a permission issue… ill check for that in the next update.

For now, you can start Renoise with scripting enabled so you can see what’s going on in the tool editor/console.

start renoise from terminal like this:

renoise --scripting-editor

then go to tools → Scripting Terminal and Editor

Start sampling with Colugo and see if you get any errors in the terminal. Let me know what you find.

1 Like

Working in linux. No prob.
Automatic loading samples into instrument would be nice :wink:

3 Likes

fully agreed, it would be lovely if they were loaded in too

ok you’re not going to believe this. I started it from the Terminal macOS and the tool just works. no issues on Scripting Terminal & Editor - i’m seeing the console inside your tool working and doing it’s job.

I wonder what’s the difference between running Renoise from the Terminal and starting Renoise from /Applications.

1 Like

could you increase the Sample Length to say 160000 milliseconds or something like that?
instead of the 10000ms now.

2 Likes

how do you want that to work? All samples into a single instrument or each sample as an instrument? I could implement both - which one are you looking for first?

1 Like

It is up to you :slight_smile:
One instrument Oneshot, second instrument Loop ?
Or all in one with keyzones only.

The truth is that not all samples can always be used.
It was just a quick idea.

1 Like

My preference would be each sample as an instrument. But it’d be totally sweet if you could choose between the two options.

1 Like

me personally i’d go for each sample into one instrument. so you see it being populated, can quickly edit + cut+crop and delete stuff that makes no sense.

2 Likes

Same, I would prefer all samples in one instrument, with keyzones set to drum kit. Also increased sample length. No problems on the Mac mini so far

2 Likes

Great idea! Could be a game changer for me but I can’t seem to get it to work. I am on Mac. I downloaded the file and installed it but when start sampling nothing happens, the button turns to “stop sampling” but that is all? Could you give me some directions?