New Tool (2.6 To 2.8): Show Automated And Modulated Sliders

This small tool adds a few menu entries to the mixer and allows you to show all automated, modulated and midi mapped sliders and also to hide them all. This can be applied to the complete mixer or just single tracks. With modulated sliders the ones automated by the Meta Devices from Renoise are meant, which also takes crosstrack routing into account.

Download

nice! one more reason to actually start using the mixer ^^

thanks

Works great!

could you add this to the tools page?

Updated to version 1.01 and added to the tools page now, waited with submitting in case any bugs might popup. Changes done are a stronger check for a modulated parameter and removing the debugging prints to the terminal.

Also the tools page doesn’t accept my version number 1.01 for some reason?

Yeah, it seems to support X.Y where Y is single digit number. :(

Currently the naming convention used by us is com_renoise_ToolnameVx_yz.xrnx, you can use all the digits in the x_yz construction you want in there.

You should also note that com_renoise prefix is meant for renoise team. Beatslaughter is part of Renoise team AFAIK, but just to be clear that others developing should use their own prefix.

Well, I personally think it is best if the site-php script would automatically resolve that matter by simply adding the necessary stuff to the existing filename.
Not something that should be implemented today and Bantai already said that it could be done, but once implemented, it shall allow us all less hassle with that.

I have renamed the filename to include the version number now.

Strangely it won’t show the sliders of a LFO device.

LFO should be a modulator which is one option below the “automated” one. But if the LFO itself is not modulated or automated, ofcourse those slider should not show.

I’m talking about automated sliders not getting showed.

check the file

This is a bug in Renoise and i’ve also stumbled upon this now while testing your report. Basically this happens when you modulate a parameter, which isn’t in the list of showable sliders. Happens also for the Flanger filter type for example. Renoise should ignore these, but allocates empty room for these.

Added a bugreport for this behaviour.

I have updated the tool to Version 1.10. Overall polished it a bit and it’s now possible to apply it to single tracks too.

Found a bug:

*** main.lua:150: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)  
*** stack traceback:  
*** main.lua:150: in function 'show_automated_modulated'  
*** main.lua:45: in function <45><br>
<br>```

<br>
<br>
This happened when I opened an old RNS wth some of the VST missing from my HD.<br>
<br>
These show up as "plugin was not found" in the mixer, and `device.parameters[p - 1].name` doesn't exist...</45>

[quote=“Conner_Bw, post:17, topic:29188”]
Found a bug:

*** main.lua:150: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)  
*** stack traceback:  
*** main.lua:150: in function 'show_automated_modulated'  
*** main.lua:45: in function <45><br>
<br>```

<br>
<br>
This happened when I opened an old RNS wth some of the VST missing from my HD.<br>
<br>
These show up as "plugin was not found" in the mixer, and `device.parameters[p - 1].name` doesn't exist...<br>[/quote]<br>
<br>
Good find, fixed and updated at the Tools page.</45>

I updated, and still get the bug.

I fixed it by changing from this:

if parameter.name ~= "PlugInParameter" and  
 parameter.name:find("Parameter") and  
 device.parameters[p - 1].name:find("Effect") and  
 device.parameters[p - 2].name:find("Track") then  

To this:

if parameter.name ~= "PlugInParameter" and  
 parameter.name:find("Parameter") and  
 device.parameters[p - 2] ~= nil and   
 device.parameters[p - 1].name:find("Effect") and  
 device.parameters[p - 2].name:find("Track") then  

But to be honest, I’m not sure. If I understand, you are looking if a parameter.name has “Parameter” in the name and that the two previous parameters have “Effect” and “Track” in them respectively? I don’t understand how this is the definition of a modulation… EDIT: I don’t understand is not right. I in fact do understand, but wouldn’t it be safer to check if it’s one of several meta device? Like, an array of known modulation devices and a table:find against it? EDIT2: Searching for a “*” in the name maybe? Reserved for modulation devices?

The bug, two parts:

• mda: DubDelay is not found
  • mda: DubDelay automation parameters are: Parameter0, Parameter1, Parameter2, …

Your code is cycling through mda DubDelay, finds Parameter0, and then tries to look at something which doesn’t exist. My change checks first.

I’ve tried to keep the check flexible enough to find new modulation devices in newer Renoise Versions too, but this seems to cause more problems than expected first with VST plugins. I’ll change that to a direct check against known modulation devices tomorrow, seems to be really more on the safe side like you have suggested. Expect an update tomorrow.