New Tool (2.7 & 2.8): Slices To Pattern

Ok,Mr DBlue

Got to tell you this looks very promising.

Thank you! ( I just have to test this )

Once the slices have been destructively rendered, thereā€™s no clear way for me to know the true duration of the original sample/loop. The instrument is basically just a drum kit at that point. Thereā€™s no way to know the true position (in time) of each sliced sample within the instrument. This becomes even more problematic if you later decide to edit or clean up the samples, to do things like trimming unwanted silence. Any change to the individual samples could potentially ruin the timing in relation to the entire loop.

However, I could probably take some kind of educated guess at where the samples should be positioned in time. I could put some kind of option in the toolā€™s GUI that lets you define the overall duration (in beats, seconds, whatever), and then I could calculate the positions based on the length of each individual sample, and assuming that theyā€™re all still maintained in the correct order. Assuming that you did not perform any additional editing to the samples (other than the destructive slicing), this could still work in roughly the same way as a ā€˜normalā€™ sliced loop.

Iā€™ve actually started having another problem with itā€”it renders out the slices to fast. That is, if I render slices to pattern, it is rendered twice as fast as it should be; if I cut my song tempo in half, then the pattern from ā€œRender Slicesā€¦ā€ plays correctly.

I havenā€™t changed anything, so I donā€™t know why it is misbehaving. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks. :)

If it helps, Iā€™m running a project at 174 bpm (tho the problem has happened at other BPMs).

Did you set the correct Sync value on the original sample? Itā€™s essential for this to be set correctly so that it matches the duration of your sample, since all the other calculations are based on this.

It must have been dumb luck that I ever got it to work without understanding this setting in the first place. Anyway, now it works as expected.

Hallo! I found that it useful thing is totaly ignore shuffle song setting. Would you add some type of cheker to make plug see if i would like to set slices right in shuffled song? THX.

why canā€™t i find this on the tool page.
This is such a great tool. everybody should know :ph34r:

ermā€¦this doesnt work with 2.8.2? i installed the tool and it doesnt show at the tools sectionā€¦editā€¦the people who can readā€¦this works flawlessly, many thx for that!

Thereā€™s a 2.8.2?!

Bugfix release mainly for OS X Mavericks users who had problems with their plugins crashing.

No new features.

Sorry to hijack the thread like this, but where could I find the 2.8.2 whatsnew/changeslog? (Iā€™m using OSX Mavericks)

great tool!!

FRā€¦ for this working in R3ā€™s Phrase editor, please oh please.

this would be super-lushā€¦ although, thereā€™s a shortcut for ā€œpattern selection to phraseā€ā€¦

Im not at my comp now so cant check my R3 beta but has this feature been implemented into ver.3?

Does this work in Renoise 3? Maybe Iā€™m not doing it correctly. Where is the beat sync part of the instrument found?

Thanks dudes

Works fine in R3, beat sync is in the sample properties, Sampler tab, left side of screen. Remember you also have to set the first note in pattern.

Thanks a lot for making this! :drummer:/>

thank you dBlue