New Tool (2.8) Epic Arpeggiator 3.0

Please accept another bug:
Pattern Arp -> Matrix, record mode + Scale Finder C-Major, reverse off
Click ‘Cmaj’
Matrix filled with major triad but from E key instead of C

I tried installing Epic Arp with no prior version installed, and I love the tool, but the ‘safe installer’ didn’t work for me, installed jack shit really but a bunch of modal dialogs looking like nag screens:P every time I launch renoise bit too safe installer. So maybe try detect if there’s anything to backup and otherwise actually install the tool? Anyway I’ve just grabbed the EpicArp tool out the safe installer and deleted that (cool effort though). Epic Arpeggiator is the shizznit!

never mind… I think I am misunderstanding something… unimportant

:lol:

The safe installer should move the contents from the “tool” subfolder to the actual tools folder. Once the subfolder is empty, it should no longer do anything.
I have done the testing when there would be nothing installed to make sure that works too, i guess i broke something again when recovering the safe installer (it got erased for some strange reason so i had to polish up a little older version)
Will do these tests again.

That would make the tool way too large.
Both options require a 16x16 checkbox field.
One 10x12 matrix field already makes it quite bulky, let alone another two 256 squared fields (of which the instrument matrix most likely would never be used over the 40 instruments barrier).

Well, rather not, but i could fix this one as well.
If you want to save yourself from downloading and dropping a new xrnx

Replace lines 60 to 62 from scale_finder_ea.lua

key.note = note  
 play_note({0x80,(note - 4 + renoise.song().transport.octave * 12),0x80})  
 handle_note(key)  

With these four lines:

key.note = note - 4  
 play_note({0x80,(note - 4 + renoise.song().transport.octave * 12),0x80})  

handle_note(key)  
 key.note = note  

Scalefinder starts its key list with A rather than C and even the list starts at 1 and not 0, hence the matrix translator is 4 semitones off.

Actually it was live performance act and lack of two functions disturb me constantly:

1. lack of instrument matrix (even 4x4 whould be enough for that situation)
  2. lack of auto-arpeggiate-on-next-pattern-start button

But in other respects it was amazing! :) Thank you!

Yeah, well unfortunately anything i build with the intension of “live performance use” i have to be very careful that such tool doesn’t get banned from the tools page simply because Lua isn’t suitable for that.
Only duplex and step sequencer can get away with live performance features here because no song content is actually touched whereas Epic Arpeggiator is changing pattern editor contents that are realtime accessed and usually accessed earlier than you can punch in stuff through Lua.
I don’t suspect the results will be very pleasing anyway with the above done suggestions (you have a guaranteed latency of 50msecs).

I think i found the mistake, i should have copied the whole epic arpeggiator folder instead of the contents of it.
Anyway, 2.93 including the scalefinder fix is now up.

I love this tool, but still can’t understand how to enter notes into the envelope arp section?

Press [esc] key to toggle record mode then try PC keyboard first.
If you want to use Midi, select the specific midi input device in the “options” tab that you want to use for that. you may have to toggle esc twice (toggle record mode off and on again) after making that change, but you should then also be capable of entering notes in the envelope sequencer.
The skipped lines in the arp sequencer (when the cursor jumps to the next position) is related to how many of them fill in exactly one pattern line.

If you want to see the relationship between the pattern editor and the sequence editor, simply create a sequence in a track.
First use one note column. Then press ctrl/cmd + shift and hit the green Fetch button. You will see contents appearing in the sequencer.
Apply this selection to your internal instrument and observe the outcome.

Try adding chord lines in the pattern editor.
then hit cmd/ctrl and click the red fetch button.
Apply this to your same instrument and observe the outcome.

Cool, thanks vV, It’s working now!

i’m not downloaded last version yet, but in 2.91 in scale finder when place chord in non reversed mode to pattern last note replaces with first one

problem code:
scale_finder_ea.lua:200
play_note({0x80,(first_note - 4 + renoise.song().transport.octave * 12),0x80})

May i suggest you to try that first before reporting? I also wonder if you still can reproduce your reported issue that i fixed a while ago.
The line-position you refer to in your post is definitely different for the line of code in the latest version. (Plus i can’t reproduce your problem anywhere)

sorry, but i remember that fixes was only in relation to issues that i reported before, and xrns doesn’t updated since that times
now i downloaded 2.93 and test it

fixed

now it’s in line 201

steps to reproduce:

1. focus pattern editor and move cursor to empty position
  2. switch to edit mode
  3. open tool
  4. open scale finder
  5. press Cmaj - C-4 E-4 C-4 added instead of C-4 E-4 G-4

Aha, i will remove the code that adds the scalefinder output to the pattern editor completely, because scalefinder isn’t supposed to influence the pattern editor at all in this case. I was looking into the tool itself for which it is meant.

Insert this on line 420 meanwhile:

if renoise.song().transport.edit_mode == true then  
 renoise.song().transport.edit_mode = false  
 end  

This plugin won’t properly install for me. I run into 2 issues with it:

First, I get this warning:

Summary of file-backup:
Preferences:fail.
Epic Arpeggiator pattern presets:fail.
Epic Arpeggiator envelope presets:fail.

After clicking okay, I get this message:

No such file or directory
check your folder access rights or start Renoise with priviledged rights

I’m not sure if this is a problem directed at the Epic Arpeggiator of if this is because of my issue installing tools.

Any chance I could just update from Epic Arpeggiator 2.0 to 3, or do I have to start from 2.93 to get up to date?

(I am using a MacBook Pro with the latest version of OSX Lion installed)

I’m going to check more into this issue, since it might be a problem with installing tools more so than anything else…

If you have any tips, I’d greatly appreciate it.

It looks like the Mac is a bit more preserving on creation of non-existing folders.
In quick:V3.0 is installing in a temporary folder and then moves an existing folder to the actual tool folder, leaving intact what is already there.
But in your case there is nothing because you install it from the first time.

The fastest tip i have for you that you can check out is:
Install V2.0 from the tools page
Then reinstall V3.0
If that doesn’t work either, i don’t know if i can really fix that, because i don’t have much file modifying options in the Lua API for copying files and checking existing folders.
I would be needing to perform OS execute commands and pipe the results to log files for inspection. Which isn’t problem to do on Windows and for Linux if i find the opportunity to add a little time into it, i would also be capable to build some sanity checks for that platform, but i don’t have a Mac unfortunately and i don’t know if the Linux commands would suffice or are even allowed to be used there.

Thanks for getting back to me. I gave that a shot, and no go. I wonder if this is a permissions issue with my mac or not. But I understand that there is little you can do. I am not a power user of Epic Arpeggiator, so I’m sure that 2.0 will work just fine for me. Thanks for offering the help and hopefully other tools that use the built in installer of Renoise work better. If, when I give them a shot, they appear to have issues in the same way, I’ll get in touch.

Thanks again for the quick response!

Well, you can also simply copy the contents in the vvoois.safeinstaller.xrnx\tool folder to the com.renoise.expicarpeggiator.xrnx folder (click help and then click “show preferences folder” from there go to the scripts folder and then to the “tools” folder), i think if they aren’t allowed to be copied/moved, you are allowed to do this yourself.
Once the lua files and presets are copied, you should have a working V3.0.
I hope one of the next updates has an internal solution to preserving user files, in that case i no longer need an installer construction (it is made to protect existing custom made presets against erasure which the renoise tool installer does when installing a new version of the tool).

Well, that was a problem free alternative to the safe installer! Everything is up and running! Thanks a bundle! This is just an amazing tool!

Tried to instal this but somehow fucked up my Renoise 2.8.1

Every time I start Renoise now on my Mac this is what I get a bunch of error messages:

1. Installing…
    Non-destructive installation of
    com.renoise.EpicArpeggiator.xrnx
    will be executed…
    Please close the tool now if it is still open!

2. Summary
    Summary of file-backup:
    Preferences:fail.
    Epic Arpeggiator pattern presets:fail.
    Epic Arpeggiator envelope presets:fail.

3. No such file or directory
    check your folder access rights or start Renoise with priviledged rights

4. Problem
    Could not restore backupped preferences!
    Please review your preferences and manually copy
    the contents back to the tool its root folder

I tried to uninstall Renoise and updated to 2.8.2, but problem remains :(