Renoise Scripting Terminal And Editor?

(td6d) #1

Hi there, I’m reading on some places about a scripting and editing terminal for Renoise but I can’t find anything like it on the tool page, nor on the Renoise site itself about it. Where and how do I get it? :D

New Tool (2.8): scl to xrni
Render notes of Renoise intstrument to samples
(rhowaldt) #2

https://code.google.com/p/xrnx/

(td6d) #3

Whooh, thanks bro!

(ffx) #4

Well, just an option in the prefs for enabling developer mode would be quite a bit more comfortable.

(taktik) #5

See !Introduction.txt in the XRNX reps please.

(esaruoho) #6

+1. I would definitely approve of not having to go google how to get Scripting Terminal & Editor enabled - and then mucking around Library/Preferences/Renoise to find Config.xml and then find a line.

Having Scripting Terminal & Editor Visible/Hidden in the preferences would be much appreciated!

(Cas) #7

You just have to change it one time though, right? And on the other side, ST&E is probably not for every renoise user!
Anyway I’d rather they focus on awesome IDE techniques for it, like on this page :P

(esaruoho) #8

Well yep, but having to go through the rigmarole of doing it everytime you install onto a new machine is a bit tedious. What if you can’t remember and are stuck without the interwebs and can’t look it up?

(Cas) #9

I don’t know what then, I just remember somehow. Around the same time I install renoise, I also install vim. Then in renoise I go to Help>Show Preferences Folder… Then I right click on Config.xml, then edit in VIM. Then I /search for showscr or something like that. Change false into true, done. On windows sometimes I’m lazy and I just modify the one shortcut that I use to have --scripting-terminal or something as an argument.

Also: if you really do a lot of (re)installs I would advise to back up your Config.xml anyway, just like the KeyBindings.xml, TemplateSong.xrns, etc, it’ll save you a lot of time right?

Anyway, maybe renoise 3 'll have ST in prefs. Who knows.

(Ledger) #10

I tend to save the whole roaming sub folder these days, makes life easier unless anything got corrupted.

(esaruoho) #11

I tend to save the whole roaming sub folder these days, makes life easier unless anything got corrupted.

how? dropbox?
symbolic link? something like that?

(Ledger) #12

how? dropbox?
symbolic link? something like that?

Just manually before a windows re-install or after its been a while, which reminds me…

I just save to an alternate drive or dropbox then copy the whole folder over after the fresh install. I guess I could set up something with Syncback free, but it seems like overkill.

(esaruoho) #13

Also: if you really do a lot of (re)installs I would advise to back up your Config.xml anyway, just like the KeyBindings.xml, TemplateSong.xrns, etc, it’ll save you a lot of time right?

Well, I’ve taken to saving KeyBindings to Dropbox. Kinda gave up on doing some sort of weird curl + echo script to write to Config.xml to force Scripting-editors to be visible.

(esaruoho) #14

Launching the Renoise executable with the argument “–scripting-dev”

Can ya gimme instructions on how to do this. I never got this to work.

I went to Terminal, and launched . /Applications/Renoise_Reg.app/Contents/MacOS/Renoise --scripting-dev

and the topbar didn’t even change to show Renoise, and exiting the app and returning via regular load did not have scripting stuff enabled.

(ffx) #15

It is a switch in the Renoise config file now, isn’t it?

(dblue) #16

Can ya gimme instructions on how to do this.

How to Enable the Scripting Developer Tools in Renoise

(esaruoho) #17

It is a switch in the Renoise config file now, isn’t it?

it can be done in two ways, but config.xml can’t be modified while renoise is open, and i couldn’t get the --scripting-dev to actually work.

(dblue) #18

Can ya gimme instructions on how to do this.

How to Enable the Scripting Developer Tools in Renoise

Edit: Sorry, I missed the bit where you mentioned trying to invoke this via the command line, not by editing the config.

Edit 2: I think you can find some answers here: https://superuser.com/questions/16750/how-can-i-run-an-application-with-command-line-arguments-in-mac-os