New Tool (3.0): CDP lua tool

p.s are you the vorpal that had some albums out on sublight back in the 00s?

Fun fact: That Vorpal was a judge in Mutant Breaks #1

I’ve got it up and running in os x 10.11.2 with the environment variable set and the path defined properly. everything’s in place! If you’re on osx, it’s important to note:

the CDP installer seems to install cdp and extras folders into both the root directory AND your user’s home directory. my username on my comp. is “zimm”.

so manually merged all the files in /cdpr7 and /extras into /Users/zimm/cdpr7 and /Users/zimm/extras, then made sure my path was pointing to /Users/zimm/cdpr7.

in .bash_profile:

# Add CDP Path
PATH=$HOME:/Users/zimm/cdpr7/_cdp/_cdprogs:$PATH
export PATH

I’ve made the environment.plist file, as well as the launchd.conf file for good measure :stuck_out_tongue:

environment.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>Label</key>
  <string>my.startup</string>
  <key>ProgramArguments</key>
  <array>
    <string>sh</string>
    <string>-c</string>
    <string>launchctl setenv CDP_SOUND_EXT wav</string>
  </array>
  <key>RunAtLoad</key>
  <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

and launchd.conf:

launchctl setenv CDP_SOUND_EXT wav

launchd.conf goes in /etc and environment.plist goes wherever CDP tells you to…

chances are you won’t need environment.plist because after osx 10.8 (or is it 7?) osx runs launchd, which you use the launchctl command to interface with. if you have trouble setting launchd.conf up, then you could always just run a shell script with the command “launchctl setenv CDP_SOUND_EXT wav” every time you log into your account (or just before you start up Renoise for good measure).

if you break it down it’s pretty simple—make sure your $PATH is pointing to _cdprogs correctly, and make sure that CDP_SOUND_EXT wav is set upon login—which is done with launcd/launchctl.

it helps to have some CLI experience, but i’ve installed it twice on el capitan now so i’m feeling pretty comfortable. For extra credit, try fucking with CDP just using the CLI… haha that’s a pain in the ass.

EDIT: most of the problems you’ll have with CDP errors stem from using the wrong sample rates, wrong bitdepth, or stereo files with a process that only accepts mono files (i’m looking at you distort).

Read the cdp documentation for fun. all the time. print it out and put it on the back of your toilet. or in my case, your ipad. just drink that manual in like you can’t get enough of it…

EDIT: most of the problems you’ll have with CDP errors stem from using the wrong sample rates, wrong bitdepth, or stereo files with a process that only accepts mono files (i’m looking at you distort).

You’re talking about using the commandline, right? The Renoise tool should automatically convert whatever you input in a process to the accepted format, if not, something in the definition file needs to be fixed or something else is wrong.

Thanks a ton, misk! I will try this out and see if I have some success.

OK…

I can’t seem to get the launchd.conf file to be recognized. I put it in etc in opt in my hard drive (is this correct? seemed like the only other etc was in x11 and cdp isn’t running in x11, right?) Doesn’t seem to matter because if I run

launchctl setenv CDP_SOUND_EXT wav

in the terminal manually, I can get cdp to open within renoise. Now my problem seems to be that “an output file was not produced - check your settings,” which appears whenever I try to process a file…

Any idea what setting these are and where or how I can access and change them?

ÂĄÂĄthanks for any help!!

You’re talking about using the commandline, right? The Renoise tool should automatically convert whatever you input in a process to the accepted format, if not, something in the definition file needs to be fixed or something else is wrong.

It’s probably working fine afaik, I think I had some leftover errors from lack of environment variables being set properly that I misattributed to possibilities other than my own stupidity :badteeth:

OK…

I can’t seem to get the launchd.conf file to be recognized. I put it in etc in opt in my hard drive (is this correct? seemed like the only other etc was in x11 and cdp isn’t running in x11, right?) Doesn’t seem to matter because if I run

in the terminal manually, I can get cdp to open within renoise. Now my problem seems to be that “an output file was not produced - check your settings,” which appears whenever I try to process a file…

Any idea what setting these are and where or how I can access and change them?

ÂĄÂĄthanks for any help!!

actually it’s not in /opt - and to clarify it’s not in the root directory either (denoted by “/” )

the actual location for launchd.conf can be reached by typing “cd /private/etc”

though you could just type “cd /etc” because there’s a symbolic link in the root directory called /etc that symlinks to /private/etc …

so cd /etc or cd /private/etc will work.

if you’ve already got a launchd.conf file and you need to drop it in /etc it’s easy! Just make sure the Finder has focus (e.g. “in a finder window”) and type SHIFT + CMND + G.

a little window will pop up saying “go to the folder” and type /etc then hit enter. drag your launchd.conf file into /etc and it’ll ask for authentification - enter your password and if you’re positive that you want to rewrite the version of launchd.conf that’s in there then agree to do so. If you don’t have a launchd.conf file in /etc then it’ll just ask for your account password. Chances are, unless you’re installing CDP or fucking with launchd that you won’t have a launchd.conf file to overwrite though :slight_smile:

So i’m really deep into this tool, and honestly guys, its INCREDIBLE. I feel like i’ve barely scratched the surface, and CDP itself is a paradigm shift on how i perceive a sound as an object. Very, very cool!

The only suggestion i’d make—and i’m terrible at scripting here, but if i can help i’d be happy to—is adding an envelope editor to allow for the graphical editing of breakpoint files. I’m not even sure how you’d go about that or if it’s possible, but damn would it be helpful! For now i’m just creating breakpoint files manually, following the ruler on the sample editor window in renoise tho :slight_smile:

the more i’m working with this, the more i’m digging it!

—is adding an envelope editor to allow for the graphical editing of breakpoint files. I’m not even sure how you’d go about that or if it’s possible, but damn would it be helpful! For now i’m just creating breakpoint files manually, following the ruler on the sample editor window in renoise

While I’d love to see an integrated envelope editor one day, are you aware that you can use an envelope device in Renoise’s instrument editor modulation tab for creating breakpoint data in the CDP tool? Or perhaps you mean this when saying ‘creating breakpoint files manually’?

Whenever a parameter in the CDP tool has an arrow down toggle to the left of a slider, you can create a breakpoint envelope, press the arrow down icon and another window will pop up. Now in Renoise add an envelope device, for example in the volume section of the modulation tab, you can bypass the envelope so it won’t affect the sound. Now, press the swirling arrow’ish icon in the ‘create breakpoint envelope’ window and it’ll fetch the breakpoints from Renoises envelope device. Now press ‘apply’ to arm the cdp tool’s parameyter, then press process in the CDP tool it’ll take into account the grabbed data :slight_smile:

I am still getting the “An output file not produced - check your settings” error message whenever I try to process a file using the cdp tool…

Any ideas how I can fix this and get these tools working?

I don’t have a mac unfortunately, besides what is in the installation notes on mavericks / mac permission issues;

Installation on Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

Admin permissions will be required to complete the installation.

It has transpired that Apple made unannounced changes in these versions of OS X which
mean that the settings created and configured by the installer are simply ignored. This
affects primarily the installation of environment variables (which need to be visible to
Soundloom as well as to the command line programs). We have yet to identify a
compatible substitute for the functionality lost by this OS change.

Instructions on completing the installation by hand are provided
in the supplied file “Manualconfig.pdf”.

Have you checked out the “manualconfig.pdf” which is provided when downloading the CDP package?

Better make a thread or read up here for more hints;

http://unstablesound.net/cdpforum/index.php?board=2.0

While I’d love to see an integrated envelope editor one day, are you aware that you can use an envelope device in Renoise’s instrument editor modulation tab for creating breakpoint data in the CDP tool? Or perhaps you mean this when saying ‘creating breakpoint files manually’?

Whenever a parameter in the CDP tool has an arrow down toggle to the left of a slider, you can create a breakpoint envelope, press the arrow down icon and another window will pop up. Now in Renoise add an envelope device, for example in the volume section of the modulation tab, you can bypass the envelope so it won’t affect the sound. Now, press the swirling arrow’ish icon in the ‘create breakpoint envelope’ window and it’ll fetch the breakpoints from Renoises envelope device. Now press ‘apply’ to arm the cdp tool’s parameyter, then press process in the CDP tool it’ll take into account the grabbed data :slight_smile:

MOTHER OF GOD.

I just stumbled across this and read your post at the same time. My life is now complete. AHHHHH!!! I was wasting time looking for a shitty function editor, and started making one in max… you FUCKING ROCK MAN!!!

Hah, thank Afta, he implemented it :yeah:

edit;

pro tip; if you have 2 monitors, it might be nice to press the ‘ext. editor’ toggle in Renoises envelope device, through this the envelope will expand between the scopes and track dsp section for more detailed editing + you can see the waveform view at the same time on the other monitor. I like seeing the envelope and waveform to cross compare where stuff needs to dip or emphasize.

@djeroek - Yeah, I had started out with the manualconfig file. Not sure why it’s not working at this point… I may need to bug the ppl on the cdp forum next. :smashed:

This thread is a bitch to backtrack, but there have been more people on the mac resolving the install issues eventually, maybe there is a solution here somewhere, or someone remembering a pitfall? Not the first time the CDP dudes have made a typo causing confusion, something like a .wav instead of wav :slight_smile:

Hi!

Finally got it seemingly to work on ubuntu 14.04. Was a bit steep way, the info in the linux blogpost wasn’t so very helpful. So I give some feedback now, before going to bed and having this beasts on my try-out list for tomorrow.

First thing: the sources from the cdp site refused to compile completely, so I had only a little more than 40 executables (I think) in the “/dev/Release” Folder. Also these sources have - linux untypically - the worst hacked-together build system I ever encountered in such a package, ok it probably wasn’t developed with linux in mind. The bug in compiling might only be appearent with newer systems (read: about any modern linux distro nowadays), because gcc has changed some handling of libraries when linking and gets a stinky asshole very soon. Also the cdp build system sucks because it gives no global error, and was hard to edit.

I had to edit these makefiles in the sources: “/dev/cdparams/Makefile.linux” - line 20 and move the parameter “-lm” to the end of the line, and now that this has been fun, edit “/dev/standalone/Makefile.linux” and “/dev/new/Makefile.linux”, and move a gazillion of "-lm"s to the ends of their lines. Now compiling gives me 147 executables in the “Release” folder, which seems a lot better.

There were other errors for some tools depending on alsa and jack libraries, but as stated in the blog article these aren’t relevant for use with renoise? From the names of the progs they seem to be just for routing audio for playback, managing audio devices and such?

Another thing was this little “libaaio” library, I had rather installed it with checkinstall as a package instead of with “make install”, to be able to get rid of it via dpkg in case I want to ever remove it.

Also the .bashrc thing just won’t work on my xubuntu, instead I set the file (you can create it) “~/.pam_environment” to contain the infamous line “CDP_SOUND_EXT=wav” - and then the lua tool stopped to complain after logging out and in, and some effects that didn’t work at first (blur…) started to produce output.

But, now…these tools seem to have potential to beatifully fuck up sounds, for often unexpected results. Much tools need to be cared after so the results would sound smooth at all, but there seem to be mighty tools hidden in that galore. Thanks for your Work integrating this, guys!

[Edited to remove Brain Fart] :blink:

Just a heads up for the dev. I am getting the ‘Environment variable not set’ popup window but mine is set and the tool is working. I had to install a little differently (on a mac) since I use z shell so maybe it has to do with how the tool checks the environment variable?

I’m on Yosemite and had been getting the an output file was not produced – check your settings error message that has plagued so many people.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the tool, and recognized my mistake – I had pointed the tool to ~/cdpr7/ (top-level CDP dir) rather than ~/cdpr7/_cdp/_cdprogs/ (CDP programs dir).

Hopefully that helps someone else.

Also I don’t know if this matters, but I added this line to my .bash_profile:

export CDP_SOUND_EXT=`launchctl getenv CDP_SOUND_EXT`

The reason being that I would type “env CDP_SOUND_EXT” at the terminal, and wouldn’t get anything. I didn’t realize that the launchctl env vars work differently…

Does something basic like ‘Distort - Distort reform - convert to sinusoid’ work? The tool can be pretty picky on parameter settings and should output what’s wrong in the terminal, with certain processes though this doesn’t happen unfortunately.

In the case of output processes like peakfind, maybe the wavefile you run it on doesn’t contain the conditions needed to give a result, threshold & window sliders need to be adjusted to find the peaks etc? I just tried peakfind and indeed can’t get it to output anything no matter if I try it on mono or stereo files, looks like a bug here?

On the installation thing, maybe there are hints here; http://unstablesound.net/cdpforum/index.php?board=2.0 or people who do run it on yosemite can help out / confirm it does work?