New Tool (3.0): CDP lua tool

This is tons of fun, thanks for putting it together

Hi. Just saw the BT vid on CDP. Was actually pondering on making a Pure Data version GUI to control it with. While I was looking around, saw that there’s a Renoise version.

Here are my questions (For all my new pair of glasses and everything, I simply couldn’t focus enough to read through 5 pages of this thread).

1- Does someone have the full list of all CDP commands for the commandline
2- What is the current state of CDP / LUA / Renoise integration? Full? Buggy? Something? Is there a finished tool, or is this Work In Progress? Is it simple work (something I could probably help with, even just by trying), or is it ridiculously complex (I’m talking “call in mxb and forget about it!”).

If you dl CDP and install it, there are docs in the install folder with all the stuff and more explained (commandline syntax for all effects et cetera )

See a few posts above for the latest version of Afta’s CDP tool, work in progress, but already mucho usable :) ( New Tool (3.0): CDP lua tool ). I made most of the so called definitions (presets), also made a couple in advance which are not working yet, waiting for the needed functionality to be implemented. Things are looking good on the sound mangling front :drummer:

I made this example some time ago, for russian Renoise community:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnxw4hmaqk54mvy/CDP.xrns

It is made of two samples: drumloop and speech.

Installed frontend tool, installed CDP, showed the paths to the CDP execs, but

/var/folders/nn/sr193vy54j91wq8646xqd0300000gn/T/Renoise-0-1075/Renoise_TmpFile-0-60.ana to read data.

and AN OUTPUT FILE WAS NOT PRODUCED - CHECK YOUR SETTINGS.

What else i forgot?

What process do you execute?
Do you have more info from tool’s terminal output (besides this path and notification)?
It could be some parameter range error for example

Does it happen all the time, what OS are you running?

If on windows maybe it is this;

Brilliant!
So good to see Renoise and the community here getting exposure

It’s still a work in progress but a lot of the core functionality has been added, some of the more esoteric processes still need implementing but its getting there, it doesn’t seem very buggy either. I certainly have a much better understanding of CDP and all it’s quirks, also thanks to Djeroeks amazing work on the definitions and wisdom on the processes I think the path to getting this to a fully featured tool is clear, I can’t see any problems or technical limitations that would get in the way of all processes being supported and integrated into a Renoise workflow. I’m also getting loads of mileage out of the features that have already been implemented and putting this tool together has been an amazing collaboration… so certainly the motivation is there to keep developing this. There was also a roadmap listed earlier in the thread which should give you an idea of where this is heading.

The only limiting factor is the amount of time I am able to put into this, I work full time (in a job completely unrelated to coding), got bills to pay etc. so only have my spare time to put into this. I welcome anyone getting involved and contributing to the coding, the basic principle of the tool is simple but the code has gotten increasingly complex, also because the tool has developed in a very ‘bottom up’ way the code is perhaps not as elegant as something that has been designed first before being implemented, I am also a self taught coder so am not always doing things in the “right” way, because of this it might be more difficult to unpick what is going on in the code. Anyway if you do want to help with the coding PM me and we can work out bits of code that can be taken on. I’m away travelling for the next couple of weeks so won’t be able to do any work on this during that period but will get back onto this in early June.

P.S: Esa, got to say thanks again for helping me out back in the day on my first tool, if you hadn’t helped me back then I probably wouldn’t have gotten sucked into this lua coding

Would help to know what process you are getting this with. Some are a bit fussy with ranges, you also scroll the terminal output as there may be more messages that would help unpick this.

@Djeroek: that Windows tip, it just worked. Add the CDP_SOUND_EXT system variable, set it to “wav” and off you go.

I saw this projects on createdigitalmusic this morning. Really great to see this happening!

But, I am getting the same error here ERROR INVALID DATA. A few filters works, also tremolo and delay. But I mostly get this error.

I am running on OSX 10.8.5, Renoise 32bits.

Is there any more output in the terminal display other than what is displayed on your screen shots? You can scroll up to see if there is, this usually gives you a clue as to where the problem is.

Is this only happening on process that have the ‘>Points<’ and ‘>Overlap<’ sliders?
Is this happening on every sound you try?

Also, have you followed the specific installation instructions for Mountain Lion or Mavericks?

ERROR: INVALID DATA
ERROR: Cannot open output file /var/folders/j8/1dx5ctz13p7flh9cr476pzw00000gn/T/Renoise-0-42087/Renoise_TmpFile-0-56.ana
ERROR: Can’t open file /var/folders/j8/1dx5ctz13p7flh9cr476pzw00000gn/T/Renoise-0-42087/Renoise_TmpFile-0-56.ana to read data.
ERROR: Can’t open file /var/folders/j8/1dx5ctz13p7flh9cr476pzw00000gn/T/Renoise-0-42087/Renoise_TmpFile-0-58.ana to read data.

I guess the answer is no, it happens with almost every process except some filter, tremolo…

oh! might be this. I haven’t seen those instructions.
do you mean the pdf on CDP named “manualconfig”?

On the right side of this page Unstablesound - CDP Release 8 Downloads it says mac installation notes, from that;

If that fails there is a CDP forum for possible help? ;

You were right. I had make this manual config “2. Adding the CDP_SOUND_EXT environment variable” which can be found on the manualconfig.pdf. Important not to mess up the name “launchd.conf.” with “launchd.conf” as written in the manual.

It now works quite better but I feel I am not there yet. I am still having a lot of bugs. Is there an overall setting I am missing or it is normal as it is a 0.3 version? Just to name a few example :

Blur Weave
analysis/synthesis beginning
ERROR: Cannot open weave file ‘4’
WARNING: Can’t close output sf-soundfile : can’t truncate SFfile
ERROR: Can’t open file /var/folders/j8/1dx5ctz13p7flh9cr476pzw00000gn/T/Renoise-0-533/Renoise_TmpFile-0-167.ana to read data.

Cantor
ERROR: INCORRECT USE
ERROR: Parameter[5] Value (4.000000) out of range (32.113197 to 32767.000000)
but the slider range is from 0 to 30

ceracu
ERROR: Cannot open file 0 to read cyclecounts.

distort
ERROR: Parameter[1] Value (16868.500000) out of range (1.000000 to 1000.000000)
this could be fix as a default value

Grain Grev2
ERROR: INSUFFICIENT VALID TROUGHS IN THE FILE.
ERROR: INSUFFICIENT VALID TROUGHS IN THE FILE.

Shifter 1
ERROR: Cannot open file 0 to read cyclelength data.
ERROR: Cannot open file 0 to read cyclelength data.

Shifter 2
Insufficient input files for this process
Insufficient input files for this process

Pitch Altharms 1&2
Application doesn’t work with this type of infile.
Application doesn’t work with this type of infile.

Pitch Chord
ERROR: This process takes chord-data in a FILE only.
ERROR: Can’t open file /var/folders/j8/1dx5ctz13p7flh9cr476pzw00000gn/T/Renoise-0-533/Renoise_TmpFile-0-935.ana to read data.
ERROR: This process takes chord-data in a FILE only.
ERROR: Can’t open file /var/folders/j8/1dx5ctz13p7flh9cr476pzw00000gn/T/Renoise-0-533/Renoise_TmpFile-0-942.ana to read data.

Newtex1
ERROR: Cannot open file 0 to read times.
ERROR: Cannot open file 0 to read times.

This particular cdp process needs a data file (in this case opened in weavefile parameter) to work. I advice you to check out the docs in the install folder of CDP for this particular process and read what it is supposed to do. Probably you need to specify some data in a text file (can use notepad in windows for this), and open this textfile up in the tool. You can do this by pressing the arrow down toggle on the left of the first parameter named weavfile.

At the time of writing the processes that need text files as input unfortunately can’t have only the arrow down toggle visible, also get a slider attached which can be confusing. I’ll try to update the definitions for these to at least tell you they need some kind of data input to work.

I haven’t been able to get this one to work, will update the definition range to see if this was the culprit, if I remember correctly this process gives its results in multiple soundfiles which isn’t supported yet anyway.

Same as with blur weave, you need to specify data in a textfile, see CDP docs for the specification. Make a textfile and load it in the tool through the arrow down toggle.

What distort process are we talking about? I can change the ranges in the definitions. Note that some ranges rely on sample length or correlate with other settings in the tool. We can’t yet link parameter ranges or at least I don’t know how :slight_smile:

Please also check out the CDP manual what a process is supposed to do. These aren’t plugins with move a slider / always hear a result like behavior :) . Apparently it scans the wave file looking for certain characteristics which it couldn’t find, maybe try another sound, or adjust some kind of threshold. Can’t remember what this one is supposed to do.

needs data file, see CDP docs.

I’ve already made definitions ahead of what is possible in the latest tool, I think this process needs at least 2 audio input sounds specified, which can’t be done yet. Wait for a future update.

Same, needs a repitch file input which isn’t supported yet unfortunately.

These need text file inputs, if you keep to the correct format the docs specify, they do work!

It would be cool if for the processes that need text input, this could be done someway through the tool, something for the to-do list.

Thanks for those detailed answers. I will have to dig into the CDP manual. And I guess I will have to use Sound loom to generate those text files.

Just saying…the [doesn’t work] notes are quite appreciated at the moment.

I already bought CDP before and I just stop using it because of its workflow and I do believe I will use it now :yeah:/>

No worries, note that most of the stuff that has to be put in text files is pretty simple and often there are examples in the docs which you can copy & alter straight to the notepad file.

Originally the arrow down toggles are/were meant for parameters that can take so called breakpoint files, = automation, time varying change specified in a text file. Using the toggles for parameters that just need a text file is kind of a hack as you get a useless slider as bonus :). I’ve tried limiting the slider range for those to 0, to sorta make clear the non-usability (might have missed a few processes), and put in a description in the text pop-up when you hover the mouse over it.

For parameters that do work with slider changes and have a toggle, if you’re using the windows version, there is a breakpoint editor in the progs directory which lets you draw these envelopes. Afta has put drawing of these through Renoise’s envelope editors on the to-do list :yeah: .

Keep in mind with some of these processes that you can make very large, hour long results from adjusting just a few sliders, or putting a few numbers in a text file, docs can be helpful :) .
Also with some of the morphing, pvoc processes, stuff which takes 2 inputs, the sample bit depth needs to be the same for it to work (32 bit and 16 bit don’t mix). You can change the sample properties through renoise’s sample editor through pressing ‘adjust’ button in the top left part of the waveform.
You can also get errors if sound lengths differ compared to what is set in the tool gui as starting / end-duration values. Basically the tool gets the sound length for certain parameters automatically when the tool is opened and/or when you press the refresh arrow button next to the presets dropdown list. If you hop from one sound to another in Renoises instrument list, for certain processes it could help to refresh / poll the samples length so the parameter max ranges are updated correctly.

Basically a lot of trial and error B)