[Pattern Editor] instant drag & drop

11mfhh0.gif

Perhaps not really a feature suggestion, but right now the Instant Drag & Drop function being OFF still doesn’t quite roll the ball with me…

When I’ve selected an area I still have to click somewhere outside the selection, if I wanted to select something that actually was within the selection. Right now the selection remains when I singleclick in this area, Renoise still expecting me to Drag & Drop. And don’t even think about Select All, then you have to click on iether the previous or the next pattern just to undo the selection.

Generally the Pattern Matrix have the same Drag & Drop-problem.

I remember the older versions of Renoise was perfectly in sync with me regarding this one, dunno why it was changed. Perhaps the current behaviour could be left intact but with additional configuration.

Right now the selection remains when I singleclick in this area, Renoise still expecting me to Drag & Drop.

I think I know what you want to do - select a point with “surgical precision”. But, I think this would prevent the ability to drag something too easily?

AFAIK the current options are the result of a number of experimental implementations, based on user feedback etc. At least, I recall a lengthy discussion about this feature.

But - perhaps you want to check out that other UI option, “Single click to set cursor” - in combination with checked-off “Instant drag” this will actually allow precise selections (but also prevent mouse dragging).

You might not like that it updates the line number… I guess that’s the tradeoff in this case.

PS: pattern editor basics are always an interesting topic :slight_smile:

I think I know what you want to do - select a point with “surgical precision”. But, I think this would prevent the ability to drag something too easily?

AFAIK the current options are the result of a number of experimental implementations, based on user feedback etc. At least, I recall a lengthy discussion about this feature.

But - perhaps you want to check out that other UI option, “Single click to set cursor” - in combination with checked-off “Instant drag” this will actually allow precise selections (but also prevent mouse dragging).

You might not like that it updates the line number… I guess that’s the tradeoff in this case.

PS: pattern editor basics are always an interesting topic :slight_smile:

I believe you misunderstood me.

The function of the process to select to begin with works as expected, until you want to make a new selection within the previous selection. Instead of the second selection to set in gear, currently the Drag & drop automatically sets in gear.

(((Regarding “surgical selection”, which is another thing, which also was intended to be in this topic now have a topic on its own: https://forum.renoise.com/t/non-consecutive-rows-selection/43195)))

The animation in the first post in this thread tries to demonstrate how it could be. For instance, as you can see, when I made a new selection with the snare track the previous selection (including the kick track) disappears immediately. I’m not forced to click somewhere else outside the first selection to make it disappear. Isn’t that what Instant drag & drop being OFF is supposed to do? I already have this OFF (and the Single click to set in edit mode is also OFF by the way.)

It sounds like fellow renoisers in the discussion you mentioned discussed feature vs feature, instead of feature + feature?

Anyway:Perhaps the current behaviour of the Instant drag & drop could be left intact, but if it looked something like as the following animation illustrates (the selection ending up only covering the notes & columns), along with some other possibilities:

( The animation turned out a bit long, with 10 pages and 7 seconds each. Annoyingly if you start at the middle of it I could guess. Click hereto view from the beginning. )

The function of the process to select to begin with works as expected, until you want to make a new selection within the previous selection. Instead of the second selection to set in gear, currently the Drag & drop automatically sets in gear.

Currently, when the instant mode is disabled you can begin a new selection within the existing selection_but you have to move the mouse a little bit._ Otherwise, this would effectively prevent a drag operation.

WIth instant mode enabled, you can’t select within a selection, For this reason, and because I try to avoid mousing in general, I have this feature disabled :slight_smile:

Currently, when the instant mode is disabled you can begin a new selection within the existing selection_but you have to move the mouse a little bit._ Otherwise, this would effectively prevent a drag operation.

WIth instant mode enabled, you can’t select within a selection, For this reason, and because I try to avoid mousing in general, I have this feature disabled :slight_smile:

I had it disabled before, but I had to test this out and you’re semi-right. I will probably never understand “move the mouse a little bit” though, as right now it seems to work and sometimes not. How odd. I’m actually more confused now…

It would be thankfully if this topic was changed to “Discussion regarding the instant drag & drop” or something like that?

I’m sorry once again for not thinking clearly when I started it.

It would be thankfully if this topic was changed to “Discussion regarding the instant drag & drop” or something like that?

Done :slight_smile: Note also that you can change the title by editing the original post,

Done :slight_smile: Note also that you can change the title by editing the original post,

Thanks!

I tried that.
… Ah,I forgot about “use full editor”!