Play a selection of a sample in any note... instantly!

So I kindly sent my wish to the developers and got an honest answer, thank you Renoise team :slight_smile:
(Basically liking the idea, but have to implement it in a way that lots of people stay happy).

I just found out by accident that when pressing the middle mouse button on a selection, it plays thát selection.

But then again, it does not correspond with the keyboard, but it is a hint to what I want.

I think, I will write macro’s in AutoIT to quickly do a trim and undo, although that is not the nicest solution.

Maybe I will map the middle mouse for trim, and press again = undo.

I’d like this to function by just clicking on the part of the sample from where you want to keyjazz, shouldn’t be necessary to select a part of it. But then again by selecting a part of a sample, the keyjazzing could stop when the selected part ends even if there’s more of the sample coming after it.

Oh yeah, didn’t see your post. It definitely needs to be done this way :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, exploring waveforms. There’s so many details that this could be implemented with. I.e. make the sample snip play dry/vanilla through the master, through the current or a selected track, through the current instrument with fx and mod chains, bypassing instrument selection, whatever

How about a mode for on/off behaviour of this tool, and maybe some mode that’ll autoloop the selection in a desired manner. Now is it just for testing and exploring a sample, or for the next step of automating/recording the part of the sample that will be played or looped, for then it’ll really add some style to the stuff you can do with it, not just jazz on but real chop and mangle a sample.

still waiting for the keyjazz! <3

I’ve already voted “Hell yeah” long time ago, I really want this as well.

But while at it, I could add that I miss something similar: Being able to play the sample in question in any key by first selecting the key in question and then pushing the play button (from the beginning or the current selection), instead of being restricted to the keyboard. Useful for long samples and whole songs. This feature was also inexplicably removed (your suggestion as well if I recall correctly.) The topic about my suggestion:https://forum.renoise.com/t/how-to-play-the-selected-area-in-another-key/42194

oh boy could I need the sample-exploring goodness right now. As I am rewriting a lot of Impulse Tracker songs that are pretty much samples everywhere.

However I respect the fact that this feature may be even years away from now, maybe not ever developed.

Lets not think about that, and take another sip of this great wine I have here (but port is better xD).

I want to drop in here to add my voice to the cacophony. Exploring long samples and finding cool vibes to make an instrument from is one of my favorite things to do in Renoise, so I would love to make this process both easier and more fun in the way OP describes.

I’ve been missing this feature since I switched from Reason to Renoise (at version 1.27… wow, that was a long time ago). So a BIG +1 on this, it would really make the process of chopping samples and improvising with them much easier and fun. Reason had sample start knob in the sampler, which I could turn and play sample from that position with my keyboard, making a process of finding nice parts of sample to slice very creative.

Mangle vst has it, it is called trigger mode. I hope for this function.

Thanks Akiz, I almost ordered the synth, but for 20 pounds I still want a demo vst. and its a vst, not native in Renoise :confused: but if a vst proves to be quick and fluid, yes im in :slight_smile:
i think granular synth is awesome, but it is overkill for the one silly simple feature im after xD

Yeah! It shouldnt be replacement just an example!

Btw. I dont have this synth but i might buy it. It looks like a great entry to granular synthesis.

Would be awesome to be able to control all basic sample playback parameters especially Start, Loop Start, and Loop Length via slider, macro, and/or command

Shelled out some cash for Redux, no feature detected like in this thread, still in love with Redux very much :dribble: :drummer: GREAT sample-mangling tool, although it has no sound-exploration feature like meantioned in this thread :mellow: oh well :badteethslayer:

edit: Ouch: just read about everywhere that the features of Redux will be available to Renoise someday, and that makes my purchase feel dumb. :unsure:

edit2: I cancelled my purchase and deleted the software, I shall first learn to use phrases properly in Renoise. By the time I get the hang of them; Renoise will have a build in “Redux”…

oh well, back to Renoise where everything is how I ever wanted (I hope to see keyjazzing on sampleselection one day though).

+1 for such a great idea!

I’d like to bump this a bit into 2016 :wink:

+1, once again, for good measure

I’ve missed this a lot sometimes!

Ideal thing to do would be to have a knob/key-combo to instantly turn keyzone temporarily into only one zone with configable root-key per sample (or better: derived from any keyzone that sample already has) and only the selection on it - bypassing instrument fx and track fx on demand (configurable).

It really sucks to playback selections (exploring samples, cutting them), but not being able to playback the selection in the desired speed.

Please put such feature on the 3.2 todo list!

I’ve missed this a lot sometimes!

Ideal thing to do would be to have a knob/key-combo to instantly turn keyzone temporarily into only one zone with configable root-key per sample (or better: derived from any keyzone that sample already has) and only the selection on it - bypassing instrument fx and track fx on demand (configurable).

It really sucks to playback selections (exploring samples, cutting them), but not being able to playback the selection in the desired speed.

Please put such feature on the 3.2 todo list!

For a tracker that relies so heavily on samplebased power instead of VST’s, I believe there should be some priority attached to… sample exploration.
And you sir, described it a little closer how it would look cool in Renoise 3.2

Yeah, renoise is not about big libraries but about small chunks that you find and transform…

1 Like

Still nothing here? :frowning:

1 Like