Pricing Model change to fund future development

And if imagine that @taktik has some way to accept any extra monies anyone would like to send his way!

Donations are usually welcome :slight_smile:

How about a Renoise Onlyfans?

5 Likes

Since you don’t know anything about project management. Let me teach you the most fundamental truth of projects.
Cheap, Fast, Quality…
Pick any two.
That’s reality, has been for every decade I’ve been in industry….
Or did they teach you voodoo in college and now you know more than everyone?

1 Like

The state of the Renoise SDLC is FINE; and none of your concern.
Covert colluding and price-fixing efforts like this doesn’t help the general user population.

If you want to give Renoise more money, go ahead, buy More Licenses, give them away; buy Sononym…

Sheesh…man we’re just trying to help. You never know what could happen bro. Anything the developer wants to do to advance things on their side and ours I’m with it.

Us discussing it isn’t gonna hurt anyone, and we know Taktik checks in on things. So it’s only right we just voice our opinions whether they come to fruition or not.

Us Renoisers gotta stick together lol :sunglasses:

Edit: P.S. I didn’t know sononym was made by the same developers. I like the disk browser just fine though, that old school windows vibe

1 Like

I think it wouldn’t be such a terrible idea to have an option to pay for smaller increments of version upgrades. so you can still get the full version, pay 70 bucks at version 3.4 and have all the updates until 4.4.1.
But then also an options to pay a smaller version: so you own let’s say 3.4.2 and then you can pay 10 euros only for the upgrade to 3.5.2. an every time there is an update, a donation link will be sent out to everyone, asking for that version upgrades price as a donation regardless of whether active subscribers or not.

I agree to a previous comment about a subscription model, that restricts your access to a program once you can’t pay, is not an option here. but it needs some smart idea that goes beyond just buying another software like sononym, as the price for that is meant to cover it’s own development costs. nevertheless I also own a copy of sononym and sooner of later expect the developers to run into similar issues with that pricing model, as I have access since version one and never had to renew anything.

I really don’t wanna push people out of using to the most recent version of the program. however I know that sooner, even if you don’t wanna add new features but just keep it possible to compile an outdated program, you’re gonna have to seriously invest into updating the code base. but in the current state of affairs, a major effort like this is highly unlikely

100% agree me starting this thread isn’t gonna affect development in any other way except maybe giving the devs some brainstorming ideas and options, that maybe shows them their Handlungsspielraum

1 Like

there isn’t even a donation link on the webpage

1 Like

Then maybe he’s not hurting for funds :wink:
My point being that if he wanted to, it would be trivially easy to share a donation link.

I’m not sure that money is the limiting factor in renoise’s development cycle in the first place. It’s a small team and things take time to execute in alignment with the vision for the project, but renoise is very much alive, and is under active development.

You could always buy a bunch of merch or licenses to gift if you’d like to contribute more, which is always appreciated!

Personally, I’m not opposed to a more frequent upgrade cycle from the consumer end of things, but I’m also ok with renoise being just a really great deal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Isn’t that Zensphere’s Renoise Tutorials? And the Renoise version is free.

I would buy merch, but to be honest, I think the spreadshirt shop sucks in terms of the collection as well as the location (UK). It should be located in the EU due to shipping costs and several other reasons. There could be so much more, even for better prices. There could be a collection of proper t-shirts, women shirts, pullovers, hoodies with or without zipper, mugs, glasses cloths, mouse pads and more. That’s the least I would expect from a merch shop. The designs could be created by the community, there’s more than just the logo as seen in the Renoise shop. We could make that happen, the devs just have to say yes. It just looks like the devs don’t care about that, because Renoise is just a “side project” in their lifes. Whch is totally understandable! But if @taktik would also like to have a proper Renoise merch collection, let me know and we can sort it out.

3 Likes

If like to see improvements to renoise merch as well, and this is also in my wheelhouse. Let’s dm about it before long

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

That reminds me, I’ve got to order a hoody. But I’d like to see headbands.

But wouldn’t it be cool to have the pattern editor filled with some data or the sample editor on the back of some of the sweaters and shirts? Maybe that’s corny but I’d wear it lol

1 Like

haha Merch and all is fine but while it is nice for the community to feel connected and show support it sure as hell won’t finance major updates to the code base. and at the same time, to properly design and sell merch you also need to hire a marketing department

We need some merch featuring Renoise memes.

1 Like

we need a way to pay/donate and a frequent reminder to do so. Maybe with a payment option that DOESN’t include any future updates at all?

like let’s say you are interested in a particular feature that just came out and you can get the most recent version (including bug fixes).

really just trying to brainstorm and maybe that leads to new ideas that the devs can consider.

the devs arent asking for anything like this though.

what is the relation the renoise team has with sononym?

how to donate?

Ask @taktik :upside_down_face:

Provided that those used pics aren’t protected, otherwise you’d have to pay.

Yes, provided you would like to burn money. All you need is a proper shop, therefore some external support (by users or whatever) is more than enough. And only the minority of Renoise users would buy merch anyway. Merch is only a side income, in this case a VERY small additional income to the income from a side project called Renoise. But it would surely increase if there would be a proper collection. Anyway, if the devs really would like to gain more money, the price for Renoise wouldn’t be that cheap. If I were the creator, I would sell Renoise for 200 € at least. Renoise is already pretty complete, so there are no “major updates” expected, especially not stuff that would cost a lot of money. Instead it’s continuous finetuning of the program, even if the time distances between updates are pretty long. BUT as long as none of the devs don’t even comment on this topic, you’re riding a dead horse anyway. :wink: