Renoise 2.7 Or The Future...

It is very easy to make mistakes ( overwriting a excisting pattern),
A list of all patterns next to the matrix would make things easier for deciding which to use , with overview of excisting, but not used yet patterns.
No dragging of patterns, if you decide for example to move pattern 4 from its place to say after pattern 8,
you have to duplicate/insert pattern 4 after pattern 8, then delete pattern 4 in its original place.
If you decide to keep the copy and the original, and change the original the copy will be changed to unless you duplicated it . Then this copy will have pattern for example number 23 , but there is no overview which pattern numbers are used, after all, if a pattern gets removed in the matrix, does it not mean that the pattern number is not used.
Also a timeline is missing.
You can see where you are in the main upper bar next to the cpu consumption, but it makes me look to far away from the matrix and I can not see which bar I’m in in the matrix ( I saw someone maked a tool for this, have to try that)
The zoom in zoom out feature of the matrix is stress, because of the strange mouse controll the thing more often zooms the way I don’t want to than I wanted it too.

This is written in 5 minutes, please ask if it is not clear, I understand it but I’m not sure if my point
is easy reading for someone other.

Yeah i definitely can agree with that, I have had these issues too, just never really payed much attention to it and tried to get on the best I could…I especially would like to see an overview of the existing unused patterns as i always have tons…

And was able to understand post perfectly, well written as i am assuming english is not your 1st language! :walkman:

Allright , I’m not that crazy then!
Thank you, what gave away english is not my first language :D ?

No you don’t. Or do you mean an individual block (track) within the Matrix, rather than a Pattern from the Sequencer?

I do mean a pattern from the sequencer.
How do you do it?

HA HA!! :) Because your writing is very good but were a few grammatical mistakes that were not consistent with how good your writing was! This is very common when people speak second languages.

I saw someone maked a tool for this, have to try that

This was one giveaway…it makes perfect sense why you wrote maked as you were speaking about the past tense…however the correct use of the verb is make(this would be fine as saw already implies past)or made.

Anyways i don’t speak/write any of my other languages as well as you so well done! :)

Click on it once so it’s highlighted on its own. Click on it and drag to new position. You can move groups of patterns around the same way by dragging across more than one initiall to select more than one.

hope the instrument editor also gets a thorough pimping, multi-velocity layers ftw. No doubt it will be :drummer:

+1000

A nice option would be to skip certain patterns , for example .pat 1…4 , you then mark pattern 3 , renoise will jump from pattern 2 directly to pattern 4, I know I know we can shift click multiple patterns to rearrange their order but that’s not really the same .

What arranger ?

wink :D

EDIT: haha - fail

its some kind of exaggeration formed to a joke. classic.

yeah, i am a broken record…can we get the auto capture inst. function to capture at any point within one track in one block…rather than only capturing new inst. when scrolling across tracks or blocks.

goddamnit! will you people listen to taktik when he speaks!?

if you ask me, that is all i really needed to hear. the scripting stuff was wicked cool but way over my head, so i’ll be patient and have fun with what we have right here with 2.6.

seriously, i have done enough feature requests over the past year or so, but the idea behind these requests was always a hope that the devs would find the idea useful for improving the software. if not, too bad. Renoise is a fantastic piece of software even without all the request some people around here are so anxious to bitch about. again, feature requests are perfectly fine, but please keep it humble.

2.7 will be more than worth the wait, as always. learn to appreciate what you have.

There have been submitted loads of good ideas, but also we also do the brainstorming on the “Where do we start first” issue.
And when stuff gets in, there is still a batchload of features that didn’t made it into the new version.
But sooner or later we get there.

do you accept bribes? my aunt bernice makes a wicked cream of broccoli soup!!!

I do appreciate what I have. Indeed, I am indebted to ‘Renoise’ (and trackers as a whole for that matter) but…not having some basic feature that other DAWs/samplers have is extremely frustrating

I am talking about in particular multi-veolocity sample instruments. Jonas made a point about it and I positively responded. Then, I get a response along the lines of ‘not again’. Well, I did some extensive searching and found IT-alien answered a newbie post saying that this was hoping to be in the next version. That post was in 2007. Akai/Ensoniq samplers have been doing this since the late 80s ffs…

Had I known that this was the case ie no velocity layers, I would have rethought buying Renoise from the start and since recently discovering this major omission I was forced to re-purchase Kontakt

I buy tools. I am not a ‘fanboi’. I love Renoise but I will say if something, I think, is wrong. Not a feature request; a fundamental omission. But, I resent the atmosphere of telling people what and when they can, or cannot say something in a public forum especially when it’s (somewhat vaguely constructive)…all I did was post ‘+1000’ and a pic of Moony

my comment was not directly aimed at you. i get what you are talking about, and i understand it. also, i agree with you completely on people having to be able to say what they want on a public forum. i should, as it is exactly what i did here.
the way my comment came to be was after reading this:

and before that reading other stuff on the forum along the same lines the past year or so of people repeating their requests over and over and over again, nagging about them in what seemed to be some vain hope that they’d instantly receive a personal Renoise update in the mail.
my post was probably in the wrong place, and again, was not directed at you. i’m sorry i made you feel like you needed to defend yourself. i think your request is as valid as any.

I doubt people really mean it in a harmful way against you. Nevertheless, you have most Alpha members and enough team-members supporting your desire along with a batch load of other users that desire multivelocity layers.
It is also a hot topic discussed backstage during each alpha it is being brought up again and being retought how to fit this into a tracker style program without breaking current compatability (these supply the most headaches) yet in a way that it can be expanded if perhaps some more ideas would be added that could be a great part.
IT-Alien has already described a complete roadmap how multilayer instruments could be supported. Also Pysj delivered a lot of mockups how such idea would fit into the tracker picture. All these got pretty serious taken into discussion.
Unfortunately so far these only have been discussions. There are still a few important cornersstones to improve, like the way how you can use MIDI to control instruments, or how samples should be linked to an instrument.

I personally guess this translation will be evolving slowly in the future (I don’t even dare to say “near” future anylonger like i used to because the “near” has been quite extended for over two years by now) to eventually get there.

This thread is the restlessness that happens every 6 months.