Renoise Mockup (Live Features)

Hi guys, glad you liked my mock-up! The thing is, I’ve given up the idea of asynchronous playback (I still think it’s too complicated to implement for the devs) but hey who knows! :confused:

@Flip: your mock-up is totally cool :yeah:

I’ve edited my first post (deleted the old requests), so it’s more readable!

KRIX

I think they will have to re-write a lot of code, but I think it will be absolutely worth it. This would be absolutely awesome for live performances.

The mock-up is not mine, it was made by cytone, all credit goes to him. I found it in another thread with a similar topic. I have to agree that it’s very nice though, thats why I posted it here again :)

Hi KRIX!
Of course i mean this (comming from the topic about ableton intro, what i was one time also thinking about)…

When the new release of renoise was announced and pattern matrix highlighted, i thought it would work like this.
I know something similar from Cakewalk Project 5… Maybe people who need to have some finished track don’t care about this too much and rather see complications about different BPM and LPB but maybe sometimes less is more in live setup (i have to mention here a man who played live by muting and unmuting tracks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZaadHYaTY but then bought ableton live as he wrote on his blog… - muting and unmuting isn’t enough!)

Also i think about some arranger like in fruity loops or (even) hydrogen drum machine!
Maybe a pattern matrix is the most oldschool and linear stuff on this great music app at this time…

I can imagine that arranger for final composition should live in another tab or window and pattern matrix will stay just for storing many different parts of song (with less or zero copies)…

But yes, i love renoise!

Wanna see all those cool kids change from their illegal copy of live to renoise…
Or maybe not.

:badteethslayer:

Kryx your asynchronous pattern matrix kick fucking ass… in fact i don’t see much the point of the matrix without it… it’s not as good as arranger for song writing and it’s not as good a ableton live for liveset. Imagine the power of renoise sample command with a GOOD matrix for liveset… ableton live can go back home lol with 09 you can keep thing on time or trigger different part … this would be uber cool

The Matrix IS good now for better overview and the copy, paste, move ect style things.
I’m not saying it could be better, I would be a fool to not see the potential of this concept.
All I’m saying, One thing at a time.

I think the same.

So I work this time on something in pure data…

i think we will gett more “live-oriented” features in the next comin updates after 2,6,the way i have understood it.the 2,6 update is more or less about getting the scripting implemented

so i think we will see a "proper"arranger/more features added to the matrix for “live-stuff” in the future

just guessing though :rolleyes:

Oh yes! I can see…
Developers decided to make the hard work for geeks and all who wanna touch the sky/limit before finally kick down ableton live with live features. :P
If they would add more features for live at first, some people wouldn’t be able to decide between able-ton and renoise until they would add also scripting possibilities.
Renoise doesn’t cost big money nor extra money for “Lua for renoise”. I like it!

Latest release was announced as Geek Edition, I hope next would be a Party Edition!
:yeah:

Scripting can help a lot with getting things going for live usage (see some Duplex and Step Sequencer tools for examples.) I would like to see the promised Instrument revision, batter MIDI handling and better Automation editing along with advanced Sequencer worked on (although this does seem to be a part of the Sequencer. IE asynchronous playback from sections within the Sequencer.)

Sorry to go a bit off topic.

I think some variation of this idea could be done with scripting, today.

Instead of mangling the PM, create a new Lua GUI with a 4 x 4 grid.

Before your live performance, you manually set up your grid. Each square is assigned a track from some pattern, routing info stored in some table / data structure.

Once it’s setup, ignore Renoise, focus on the Grid.

With the bar counter idea in place, and the user clicking on the Grid, the script manually re-arranges a new pattern by copying data from other patterns in real time while looping.

Well, Duplex has been the ONLY “featured tool” ever made with Renoise, but that idea is enough to make it!

Is this possible with LUA? If someone can tell me if this is possible with lua what Connor_BW writes OR what is shown in the live mockup video (what I would really prefer) I would implement it.
Can anyone tell me if Renoise is capable doing this using LUA?

I’d love to do it.

I just couldn’t figure out yet if during one cycle of a pattern it is possible to assign which part of which pattern to play as shown in the video.

I’m working on something on the weekend of the 24th.

It will be loosely inspired by your idea. Don’t expect miracles though. It’s not going to be the same thing. More like a “live recombinator” where I move tracks to a special clipboard style pattern. Stay tuned?

What I got from the renoise staff is:

[i][b]There’s definitely a lot of stuff that is possible with the LUA scripting, but
unfortunately it’s not possible to modify the audio engine in this way. The
scripting is focused mainly on working with the song structure and the data
within it. It’s also not possible to add new controls to existing parts of
Renoise (ie. the playback buttons on each pattern matrix block) - you can only
construct your own custom interfaces which are displayed in your own window.

But rather than modifying the audio engine directly, you could possibly write
a script that modifies the actual pattern content instead. You could have a
collection of source data patterns that contain all your note variations and
loops, but these patterns would never actually be played. Then you could have
a single work area pattern that simply loops forever. Using a custom LUA
interface you could have some kind of block arranger layout, where you click
on the blocks to automatically copy that chunk of source pattern data into the
working pattern to make it play.

Just an idea anyway :)[/b][/i]

Which is exactly the idea I had and the way I said it would have to be implemented the day non-realtime scripting was announced ;)

I had the idea the day before non-realtime scripting was announced.

OK Mr Jones > :P

Although I think some kind of realtime song xml editing through an external piece of software had been vaguely discussed before scripting was announced so in fact this idea by these methods probably do outdate it ;)

I invented XML.