Rpg - The Renoise Phrase Generator

RPG Multiple Instruments and Multiple Tracks Tutorial

Here is a short explanation and some examples of the two features:
Multiple Instruments and Multiple Tracks.

In general, the multiple instruments feature was designed to help in creating more interesting lines. For example, putting a few lead sounds that mix well together, and generating one track may have some very rich results.

Example for a single track, three instruments:

Now, the multiple track feature was designed to allow generation of phrases that occasionally have chords in them. A good way of testing it and understanding how it works, is to use a single instrument and two or three tracks.
It is recommended to use low values for the position probability sliders, so that chords will not appear as often, but only on some occasions.
It can also help if you use at least 40% on the Off slider, and an instrument that does not have a quick decay.

Example for a single instrument, three tracks:

Finally, although I originally did not intend for these two features to be used together, if you understand them both, you can combine them and generate interesting results.
This example uses three instruments, and three tracks. Note (in the INI file) how I used low position probabilities, so that in many rows, the note exists only on one track and chords are hit only on occasions.

Example for three tracks and three instruments:

Version 0.60 is released.

• Added : “Fetch” functionality, to copy track information from Renoise, and automatically set the various sliders in RPG. Activate by selecting a bunch of notes in Renoise and pressing the Fetch button or by pressing Ctrl+W in Renoise or in RPG.

I am happy to announce the first version that supports copying data from Renoise and analyzing it to automatically set the RPG sliders.
Although I feel that this feature is stable enough, keep in mind that this was a relatively heavy addition - around 200 new lines of code done in a few hours, so I would love to hear about problems if you find some.

The help file is updated accordingly, with additional description about this feature (See Interface section).

Oh yes!! A really nice and important feature is finally implemented! Thanks for those additional lines of code, Icarus. :D

It just occured to me that your RPG application actually holds the key to other great utilities for Renoise. How about:

• A chord pad. For example you keep the piano roller and then just put major, minor, sus, etc chord keys and “RCP” will paste that chord at Renoise’s pattern cursor…

• A clip pool. There are assignable pad buttons. Copy a selection to such button, then just press the button and the selection assigned to it will be pasted at Renoise’s pattern cursor…

;)

:)

Renoise already has some few clipboards no?
I am redoing that fetch function - the code is ugly and messy, but tell me if it works ok.

Version 0.61 is released.

• Changed: Complete rewrite of the Fetch feature.
  • Added: Fetch will now enable the Split Keyboard function if it is necessary and possible.
  • Added: Fetch will now set the instrument to the first one found in the fetched data.
  • Added: Fetch will now attempt to learn what is the level of the Off slider.
  • Added: Fetch will now attempt to learn what are the levels of the Fx/Ex sliders. Note that this feature is sensitive to the effects you have selected to use in RPG. If your two effect sliders control Fx and Dx, the fetch command will look for Fx and Dx (instead of the default Fx and Ex).
  • Added: Fetch will now consider the “Stretched Mode” button. If this button is pressed prior to the fetch action, RPG will attempt to obey, and treat the fetched data as stretched phrases (i.e. consider each 32 rows as a phrase). Note that this is possible only if the copied data is indeed stretched - meaning, each second row is empty (or at least non-note).
  • Added: Detailed documentation in the Advanced Topics section of the help file for the Fetch command.

@Transcender - is it working as expected?
You seem to be the only client, although I agree it is an important feature and was done mostly because of your request.

Hello everybody,

I have decided to start preparing a series of RPG tutorials, just for the fun of it, and in hope it may help some people in understanding the features a little better.

Although everything is documented in the help file, I know most people do not read help files.
As a smart man once said: “Help. Doesn’t.”

So, after a small research and some help from fellow renoisers as for what would be a good way to record on screen, I have prepared the first two tutorials, and am planning on making some more.

You can see the both on the RPG homepage

Although I uploaded the files as top quality XviD, the video hosting service reduced them just a little, but I am sure you will find them to be more than watchable (quality wise) - of course, enlarge them to full screen.

Your feedback - as always - is welcomed and appreciated.

Respect Icarus for the pro looking tutorials! :slight_smile: Helpful as well, like how you integrated the video’s into your site.

Hey thanks!
This Viddler site is 10 times better than YouTube.
I guess its all “location, location, location”… :)

Wow, very slick tutorials. I like the robotic voice. I like the pacing. Nice work! Port your app to OS X? :badteeth:

Youtube has the audience.

Location, in a desert, with no one watching, is good for you, bad for promotion?

Thank you, I try.

Touche. :)
You mac users always had the advantage in text to speech, Ill give you that.

Yup. in the internet world “location location” is translated to “marketing marketing”

Is there any possible way to download the videos onto a hard drive…for offline viewing???

Of course.
I have set it so my friends can download it.
You just need to join Viddler, and add me as a friend, and you can download.
Third tutorial is coming up soon.

Tutorial 3 is up on the page.
Discussing the Duplicate buttons, the Fx and Ex panning commands, the Base Octave, Transpose and Split Keyboard.

Ah, sorry I missed to give you feedback. Yes, it works as expected. It’s a really great feature since now we can create a melody in Renoise and let RPG render variations of that melody. Again, thanks for adding it. :)

Good to hear.

Video Tutorials 4 and 5 are up on the page.

Tutorial 4 - Step Sequencer
Discussing the Fixed Note buttons and the Same Positions button

Tutorial 5 - Multiple Instruments
Discussing the Multiple Instruments feature and Same Instruments button

The loops in the beginning and end of each tutorial were created with the same instruments and technique described in the tutorial itself.

Hope you enjoy.

hello my savior… ;)

thx for the cool tuts. i was wondering, could you make it a option to run RPG with multiple instances ?

:)

Why would you want multiple instances?
Why not just save presets, and move between them?
Ctrl+S saves silently (without the Save As dialog)

Video Tutorial 6 is up on the page.

Tutorial 6 - Multi-Track Stretch
Discussing the Multiple Tracks feature, and the Stretch Phrase feature.

Version 0.62 is released.

• Fixed: When using the mouse wheel on a Fixed Note control, the LastSelectedNote was not remembered.