Saving Renoise's Song In Xml ?

Hi,

I’ve read that renoise wiil be able to save song files in XML. Will this new format be compatible with MusicXML specification ?

(It will be really nice if i could import renoise song into Harmony Assistant :)

the XML structure is not 100% defined (we are at advanced alpha stage), but at the moment I can say it will not be compatible

I’ve already started making a few XML documents in anticipation of what it’s going to be like. I’m so excited! But alas, I realise that these are just fervent attempts in absolute futility, but I’m pretty sure I don’t have anything better I should be doing. Ah, there, I got the lead just right. Now to balance the bongos.

What is your plan for storing sample data?

Surely not something nasty like base64 encoded CDATA sections?

Relative paths to .wav files, please. :)

-Harold

p.s. This is the feature thats going to push me over the threshold of actually paying for your software. Up until now I’ve used exclusively the free version. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you!

the module format will consist of a compressed file which will contain song data (such as patterns) and sample data.

you will also be able to explore all these data separately by opening the module with a decompression utility

So you’re saying there will be a separate app (decompression utility) to convert between a pure xml format, and a compressed format? (similar to the format renoise uses today)

If someone was going to try to write a translator that read from another trackers format and wrote out files that renoise would be able to read in, what would be the process then?

1. Read in the other trackers file and extract pattern/instrument/sample data,
  2. Write out pattern/instrument data in renoise xml format
  3. Save samples to disk (wav format?)
  4. Use this “decompression utility” to wrap up the pure xml and samples into a binary file that could finally be read into renoise?

That seems totally do-able. Granted it would be much cooler if renoise just read in the xml and found the samples on disk referenced (as paths) in the xml, but there are benefits to a single file song format too. (read: the entire tracker scene :D )

Thoughts?

-Harold

I think he meant something like the Open Office format, which uses zip (?) compression, you can extract the files with WinZip or Total Commander and you’ll get the xml file and the corresponding data files like pictures and so on. The actual convert utilities may be written by 3rd party coders. So you’re probably right with your assumption.

Sweeeeeeet :D

Yes, that’s nice.

It’s early in the morning here, and I’ve just had to pinch myself to prove that I’m not still dreaming.

:dribble:

I simply cannot wait for this feature.

For what it’s worth, in real life I am a software engineer who does a lot of work with file formats, specifically in the area of QA, scm, and agile process. I would love to donate some of my time to the Renoise project if you need additional testing, or any other, resources.

I’m specifically interested in creating a Ruby library to manipulate .xrns which will allow all sorts of programmatic musical madness. Songs from scratch algorithmically. Genetic algorithms for ‘mating’ different songs/mutating.

The possibilities are endless.

I have a similar project that I’ve been working on which does this for the impulse tracker format. But, impulse tracker, while cutting edge in the mid-late 90’s just does not have the feature set of Renoise.

You’ve made me a very happy boy,
-Harold

Personally I wouldn’t worry about the legality/license thing too early. Everyone stands to benefit from an open format, no reason to solve problems you don’t have. (:

I look well forward to helping you beta test this, exciting stuff.

A special section of the fourm might be a good idea too, though thats another problem that shouldn’t be solved before it arises. Probably best to let the traffic in the general forum grow so everyone can get excited about the 3rd party development thats going on, and split it off if it becomes too much.

Regards,
-Harold

p.s. Where are you all located? Do you all live in the same town, or do you do development remotely?

Then I am in turn waiting to see the specification: :yeah:

(:,
-Harold

Generating pattern data from code is going to be ace. :D

What language would be best suited for this?
I’m a web programmer mostly so I’m thinking of using PHP for something like this, as insane as that may sound.

Sounds perfectly sane to me and it’s exactly how I plan to do it myself :D

I wrote the very first commandline version of Glitch in PHP… now THAT’s insane, heh. Churning out a bunch of XML should be a piece of cake. I can’t wait!

Mint. :)

I’m thinking about possibly putting together some sort of database of melodic laws, like all the scales and modes of western notation, and then writing something that can take a set of inputted commands like:

Arpeggio in X octave in X scale with X rhythm pattern
Click the checkbox to also generate corresponding chords which have related scales from the next/previous X notes in the bassline, etc etc etc.

Damn I’m getting itchy fingers already.

You could even give the modes and scales more emotive names like, the 'naff jazz scale, or ‘the melancholy medieval scale’…

I’m gibbering now but you get the idea.

i see times will come in which i don’t need to write my music myself … ^^ …
hihi … just like britney spears :D

I prefer to think of it as injecting soul into the machine.

-Harold

I’m actually looking forward to working more on the effects/pattern commands side of things. Something that can create totally mental combinations of sample offset, reverse, retrigger, etc. Basically Glitch with pattern commands :D

Writing 3rd party utilities that handle pattern (and other) data for the new Renoise format, xrns.

i.e. you could write a tool similar to Advanced Edit that made stuff groove more.

http://gtk.php.net/hint