Show Me Your Home Studios

That’s doubleplusgood oio!!

Nice Idea those black n white keys Organic!

Nice setup :) Is that an original MS-20 or one of the new minis?

It’s the USB controller for the Software MS20

well, i guess that’s proof you really are cool as funk. seriously. could have been a minimoog in the background, but no, you had to go and do this…

I didn’t notice my old iMac huddling in shame in the corner until after I took the picture. Also not pictured, several guitars including an acoustic (which I have no mic to record anyways), a 7 string, a bass, a classical with a plug, a 6 string with some problem I don’t know how to fix, a squire strat and a cheap imitation of a squire strat (my first guitar ever). The last two are buried in my closet forever.

bah, who needs a mic, just get a decent piezo pickup. Better sound, less hassle, + no background noises get recorded =)

I might take your advice on that actually. I’ve been having a hankering lately to record some acoustic guitar.

renoise macbook keyboard wins this thread.

I wonder how it is possible that some home studios shown in this thread have hardware worth approx hundreds if not thousands of $ and still no acoustic treatment of the room at all. Not even self made diffusers…

So do I. Same with monitors, I’ve seen several pictures of home studios (not only here) with synths worth a couple thousand dollars, all plugged into KRK Rokits or Yamaha HS50s. Doesn’t make sense.

Good headphones?

As long as you have some decent monitors and some decent headphones and you make sure to test listen to stuff you’ve been working on through other equipment around or outside of your house, you get a feel for the bias of your room and equipment and can take it into consideration when mixing. It would be wonderful to have a treated room and great monitors, but a lot of us would rather have a thousand-dollar synth (because of its workflow and versatility) and ~$600 of monitoring equipment than a couple thousand worth of sound treatment/monitoring equipment and fewer actual production tools.

I’d kill for some Rokits right now, honestly.

Ok, I’m not talking about complete treatment but some basic stuff - well placed home made diffuser or absorber can do wonders. You can do some lame measurements with typical studio microphone to get a vague idea of what your room normal modes are and tune the diffuser to that frequency. You can minimize the reverbation time with absorber placed on the back wall (the one in front of speakers) or the ceiling. No big deal and you can do this cheap. Good point about headphones though.

had to clean out my other setup
lost some synths and drumcomputers but replaced them with vst’s

I have to move into a smaller apartment, and i’ll have to get rid of lots of stuff as well… :( :( :( new owner of this place bought it to completely rebuild it, so he’s kicking everyone out :confused:

Nice clean setup.

I see you use a padKONTROL, have you seen my pKing tool? It’s an ‘MPC style’ interface to renoise via the padkontrol (read the manual on the tools page).

I have currently only video of (or part of) my setup and I have no idea if I’m able to embed facebook video into forums.

Full list:

Software:
Renoise

Hardware:
Swissonic Easy USB -Audiointerface
M-AUDIO Radium61 MIDI-Keyboard
M-AUDIO Xponent
M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO
RODE NT1-A
AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50 Headset
Fender Squier -electric guitar
Fender Sonoran -Acoustic guitar

You can also use room mode controllers that apply filters based on how it analysed the accoustics of your current space, like the KRK ergo.

Yeah, but since we’re talking about cheap acoustic treatment, that doesn’t really help considering the price.

I paid approximately $150 for three 2’x4’ broadband bass traps (OC703 rigid fiberglass, not rockwool). I had to make them myself, but the only really nasty part there was handling the fiberglass. They’ve made a world of difference in eliminating boomy corners and standing waves.

Acoustic treatment is like anything else: people invest what they want. Some people don’t like paying for VSTs or samples. Some people don’t mind shelling out for EWQL Platinum and Waves Mercury. It’s a matter of personal taste and the influences of economics.

By the way, headphones are no good for mixing. No matter how much you paid for them.