Slow plugin loading (previously worked fine )

I have the solution for you: Your fan, attached to GPU or CPU is not correctly sitting in place anymore.

Verry unlikely
Itā€™s an old amd radeon but it still works ( not a gamer here )
The issue will probably rectify itself like it did a week ago .
So a misaligned seems bit of a far stretch
Anyway , thanks everyone for the suggestions :ok_hand:

Aannnd , the issue has resolved itself again
It happened right after I had a look at the logfile , maybe that had something to do with it
See you in 7 days :slight_smile:

Maybe a trojan horseā€¦

Actually I had that once with the CPU cooler, it still was sitting in place, but somehow the thermal gel wasnā€™t working anymore. So I had quite random slowdowns, dependent on full (and background) system load. Ok, but since you do not have this, must be elsewhere.

Like I have said , it now only happens with one version of renoise , the other ones are fine ( for now )
Exact same settings for all renoise versions
Hardware issue can be ruled out completely

And just as expected , it happened again with at least one version of renoise , timespan 8 days
Whatever repeating windows issue it is , renoise is still the only program thatā€™s affected by it , performance-gui related wise .
SO is there def som. happening under the hood
I never had this before in such a repeating manner and itā€™s driving me nuts

Edit: 5 minutes later the other version of renoise is affected too .
F.CK !

O.K. It seems that reaper is now also affected , slow plugin loading , taskmanager cpu increase with certain plugs (just tweaking onboard gui controls ) etcā€¦
Otoh , loomer architect is not affected yet , weird , weird ā€¦weird

Maybe related: does it go away, if you physically disconnect the lan cable / disable the wifi device in the device manager?

2 days ago DSL wasnā€™t working anymore, but it looked for the router as working, so also each connected computer had the status ā€œinternet workingā€. Then even the os Startup, and Apps Startup Dramatically increased. It seems that a ton of information is exchanged these days at startup, also a lot of plugins do that. if you block everything in a firewall, it seems to look like ā€œinternet not workingā€, so Startup times are normal again.

So installing a proper outgoing connections firewall and block everything could be a test here, too.

I really donā€™t know , it just happens out of nowhere
Disconnected to the web doesnā€™t make any difference , firewall enabled-disabled either .
Right now , at least one version of Renoise is behaving o.k. again , the other one and Reaper donā€™t
In reaper it is just the slow gui loading and cpu increase while tweaking vst,s , in renoise itā€™s all that + stuttery screen when recording ( play position set to scroll ) .
I did some direct x diagnostics and Taktik didnā€™t find anything weird in the direct x log
It def.has something to do with how certain plugs are drawing their graphics + gui interaction (mouse down etcc) , but at the same time itā€™s behaving all right in one Renoise version while odd in another ā€¦
Itā€™s so frustrating , if only I knew which win 10 process is causing this

Another longshot: turn off file indexing? I have had troubles due to me having too many, several thousands, files.

These are turned off by default

I can definitely confirm that I have a similar behavior.

Iā€™ve used Windows 10 and upgraded to Windows 11. I think this was happening to me before with Windows 10, and itā€™s still happening with Windows 11, on the same machine. I even created a thread with a confusing issue related to this.

Apparently, in most cases, Renoise starts fast, plugins load at normal speed, and the LUA tools run fast, as usual.

But sometimes when you start Renoise, you notice that something is wrong. It loads slower and closes slower, and it also affects the loading of plugins and also some LUA tools take about 3 or 4 times longer to load (if it used to load in 0.5 seconds, now it takes about 3.5 seconds). This also affects the overall graphical fluidity of Renoise. Control becomes slow and choppy, both in Renoise and in the window Lua tools.

Apparently it only seems to affect Renoise, but Iā€™d say itā€™s an issue between Renoise and Windows, affecting both Windows 10 and Windows 11 as well. Tested on the most recent versions of Renoise, 3.3.2 and next.

Itā€™s frustrating because I have no way of figuring out whatā€™s causing it. It just happens sometimes.

The only thing I can say is that in my case, it affects the loading speed and also the fluidity of the graphics.

While all of this is going on, I never touch any of the Renoise settings. Simply, sometimes it goes well, and a few other times it goes wrong.

I donā€™t think the internet connection and its use have anything to do with it.

I use an Nvidia graphics card with up-to-date original Nvidia drivers, and an Intel processor.

At first I also thought it was a specific renoise -win issue , but now Reaper is also affected ( exact same slow plugin loading )
Renoise justt has additional issues ( laggy pattern when recording ) which Reaper obviously doesnā€™t have .
I remember reading somewhere that since recently win 10 had a new background process to gather data and slow down overall performance , forgot the name of the process but remember killing it once and the issue went away .
Right now the only host that is unnafected by all this is Loomer architect

And just while writing this , loaded up renoise and the issue is gone again ( holding wood ) , this time it lasted for 2-3 days

Well I just had this problem right now.
I solved it by deleting the Renoise log.txt file, after closing it, which was over 1MB. Now it occupies 11KB.

The next time I load Renoise it works fine. I donā€™t know if the log.txt file is related to all this, but something is wrong. When Renoise detects that the log.txt file does not exist, Renoise creates it again.

Edit: I have tried it with 2 different versions of Renoise, and in one case it has solved it and in another it hasnā€™t. I highly doubt itā€™s the log.txt log. Something is going on that causes Renoise to not work fine with Windows. In the windows task manager I donā€™t see anything strange.

Iā€™ve exact the same issue with sluggish lua tools. It can easily spotted with UI heavy lua tools like our piano roll oneā€™s. I thought, its something bad with my lua code. I found a font error in the log, which iā€™ve fixed. But i donā€™t know, if this was the cause. Everything works currently fine and fast. Happens 1-2 times in a month on my windows 11 system.

This has nothing to do with the Lua code of any window tool. You can try to uninstall all the tools and the problem still persists. Difficult to determine the cause.

And it happened again , deleted the log file ā€¦same stuff
Canā€™t use Renoise longer than a week without the issue re-appearing

Does the issue continue after a restart?

Yes , it will probably go away after 2-3 days if I am lucky
I disabled windows defender , no luck
At the moment already one version of renoise and reaper show the slow behaviour , itā€™s just a matter of time before the other version of renoise follows .
Things I know so far

• Two programs are affected ( renoise , reaper )
    -The issue is gui related and perhaps hid related ( keyboard input while recording )
    -Only happens with certain plugins , but in the case of renoise also the recording from pc keyboard.
    -Issue re-occurs after a week , and dissappears after a few days
    -Closing renoise also takes longer ( killing the graph engine )

Edit , I just deleted the log file from the (yet ) unafected renoise version , and the issue appeared immediately after restarting renoise