[solved] Kontakt 5 multis?

Hey music makers, first post here and I was hoping you could help me out. I’ve been using the Renoise demo for a few weeks now and I can’t wait to get the full version! The program is mind-blowingly powerful and I’ve been really enjoying making music with it. I’ve just been having one little annoyance: I use Native Instrument’s Kontakt 5 plugin a whole lot, and as far as I can tell, if I want to use multiple Kontakt instruments then I have to load multiple instances of the plugin, which takes ages! There’s a way in Kontakt to have multiple instruments loaded in the same instance of the plugin (called “multis”), but I have no idea how to get the routing set up in Renoise. I found this old thread from around 2010 where a user expressed the same problem and it was answered, but that thread is a few years old and I was wondering if there might be a better way to do it now, with new versions of both Renoise and Kontakt.

If anyone here has experience with using Kontakt 5 with the latest version of Renoise, your help would be much appreciated! I’m fairly new to both Renoise and Kontakt, and this “road block” is a bit discouraging when everything else in my experience with this program has gone really well. Thank you all very much! :D

Hello. I just figured this out myself, so I’ll share my new-found knowledge. After creating your instrument with Kontakt, right click on it and select “duplicate.” You will then have two instruments using the same instance of Kontakt. You can then route your instruments in Kontakt to the different instruments in Renoise in the instruments settings, where it says “program.” Hope this is clear enough.

*edit - woops, turns out duplicating the instrument simply fires up another instance of Kontakt. My mistake. Back to the drawing board.

you should use plugin aliases

Wow, thank you so much! This works perfectly.

Actually, hold up a bit. Using plugin aliases solves my problem with loading Kontakt more than once, but I’m having some issues with the routing. The workflow that I want is to have one Kontakt instument, to one Renoise instrument, to one Renoise track. Aliases let me have one Kontakt instrument to one Renoise instrument (within a single instance of Kontakt), but I can’t route the instruments to their own tracks, beyond the first two. I looked at the Wiki page for Plugin Routing under Instrument Settings and it explains how to route different output channels to specific tracks, but when I load up Kontakt it will only show me a 1/2 output and a 3/4 output in the Output pane, and then some surround-sound crap that I don’t need. It will continue to show me this setup even if I change the channels in Kontakt’s internal mixer. Here’s a screenshot of what I mean:

I’ve outlined in red the relevant parts. Notice how the channels displayed in Kontakt don’t match up with the one Renoise says there are? Is there any way to fix this, or am I locked to two instruments at a time? :P

Thank you very much for your help!

I knew this would have been your next step…

look into Kontakt Manual for the way to add output channels in the Outputs section, and remember to close and reopen Kontakt (for example by saving your song and reloading it) each time you add a new channel. Unfortunately this is a Kontakt issue which Renoise cannot address (look here for a similar report)

Alright, that seems to have done it. Once again, thank you very much for your help! It’s likely that I’d never have figured this out on my own :P

I know. it took a really nerve-blowing session to me to figure this out, after having failing at getting it done lots of time.

I’m glad of being of help