System Requirements For Renoise 2.8 and 3.0

Windows (changed for Renoise 2.8):

• OS: WinXP with SP2 or newer, to run the 32-bit version of Renoise 2.8
  • OS: WinXP 64-bit edition with SP2 or newer, to run the 64 OR 32-bit version
  • CPU: any CPU with SSE

OSX (changed for Renoise 2.8):

• OSX 10.4 or newer, to run the 32-bit version of Renoise 2.8
  • OSX 10.6 or newer, to run the 64 or 32-bit version of Renoise 2.8
  • CPU: Intel CPU (dropped support for PowerPC)

Linux (no changes since Renoise 2.1):

• OS: Linux with GCC 4.X libs, X.org 7.1+ (any Linux not older than ~3 years)
  • CPU: any CPU with SSE
  • Sound: libasound2 (ALSA >= 1.0 for Audio + MIDI)

On my studio computer it’s working well, Windows 32bit SP3. I noticed it was a little heavier on graphics processing. The machine is Quad core Intel, with only 2gb of ram.

I installed the 32-bit version ant it works like charm on my Win 7 64-bit machine. It’s showing less CPU usage compared with 2.7 playing the same song. :)

Also I tired the 64-bit version and I got heavy crackling and it played about 2 seconds of the song and then stopped because the CPU got over 90%. I guess that must be the fault of using 32-bit plugins. So I’m sticking with the 32-bit version of 2.8.

:(

I’m using a Compaq Presario CQ56 Laptop with Linux Fedora 16 and installed 32-bit version of Renoise 2.8 beta 1. No problems found so far. :D

For Linux there is also the dependency libmpg123-0 for mp3 import.

yes, but it’s not required. Renoise will work even without that (obviously it can’t import mp3s then).

this sounds a bit like the denormal number noise problem ? This usually happens with the one or other plugin. Doesn’t matter if 32 or 64 bit.
See also Subnormal number - Wikipedia (performance issue). To avoid this / check it out you can add e.g. a pink noise generator with minimal wet setting.

strange question to the strange behaviour of renoise 5.1:

i have I5 3.30 ghz cpu and 4 gb ram, why the hell renoise 5.1 crashes due to cpu overload? how is it even possible? Should I use pentagon pc to run renoise with several vsti’s?

P.S. sorry, I konow it’s the 2.8 topic but I really did not have time to look for 2.5.1 topic

[s]Uhrm… which exact version of Renoise are you using?

There sure ain’t a Renoise v5.1 yet.[/s]

:)

He is ending with 2.5.1, which is quite a few versions back ago.
I doubt Renoise crashes due to a CPU overload, if it really crashes, then it might be a plugin problem (plugin recalling nested routines that require a lot of CPU time for each instance which is a plugin bug) or a hardware problem.
If you aren’t interested trying your plugins in the 2.8 demo, you can try to isolate your plugins in 2.5 and try them one by one to see which plugin is causing the CPU overload.
But our suggestion remains to try your setup in 2.8. Renoise 2.8 is more effecient in CPU usage than 2.5.