The best tools for vocal and instrument comping (composite) in Renoise

It’s not standard to use a Tracker to record tracks with lots of singing, live instruments, etc. but back in the 90s when I started tracking, I used to create EDM (techno), and sometimes it would include choruses and verses with singing and / or rapping. I managed to do it in the 90s in a very elaborate way using a tape recorder - but being able to do it even then with limited tech has convinced me that not only can it be done in a Tracker today, but that the Tracker interface provides several advantages over other types of DAWs, ala ProTools style.

Many people say Trackers, or Renoise specifically, is not quite built for recording, but is built for programming and sequencing - and they say Renoise is especially weak when it comes to comping vocals or instruments. I think at face value, if you’re coming from other DAWs, this might seem to be the case. After searching even these forums, the standard advice is to use something like Reaper to do all your vocal and guitar / live instrument recording takes, comp there, and import the outcome into Renoise. I’ve tried doing that, and it works okay, but I always find myself just coming back to Renoise and recording takes in there instead. I just don’t like having to use two types of software, and I’m convinced it can be done well in Renoise. It’s something of a challenge for me - I want to prove that any type of music can be made in a Tracker, Renoise especially, as I really believe it can. Some of my producer friends shake their head at it because they’re so used to using what they use, but I’m convinced Renoise presents a unique workflow that makes so many elements of producing a breeze.

To help others who also want to record and comp in Renoise, I wanted to post the tools that I believe make comping absolutely doable, so that others out there that want to use Renoise to do this sort of thing don’t have to spend long hours searching and working through thinking about workflow, as I have had to.

After that, I just want to address how I think one has to think about this style of recording and music creation in a Tracker.

Okay, so first up, you record all of your takes into the sample recorder, which is pretty basic. Each take becomes a new instrument.

Then, the tools:

1. SliceMate
New Tool (3.1): SliceMate
This exceptionally powerful tool allows you to slice samples from the Editor view. Simply pause at the spot and slice where the cursor is.

If all of your recordings start at the same place, which would be the best practice for recording in any DAW, you can place your long recorded samples into one track (or multiple tracks) and slice them all at the same place. Just slice, move the cursor to the next one, and slice. Every sample will then be sliced in the same pots. It’s pretty much like slicing in another DAW, except the advantage here is you can fine tune your slices in each specific sample if there are slight alterations.

2. Slice Importer
New Tool (3.1.1): Slice Importer v1.1 (February 2019)
Slice importer is an alternative option, or one that complements the above tool (or that tool complements this one). If all of your recordings start at the same place (which is best practice in any DAW, so it’s not a workaround), you can slice one of your takes / recorded sample and then copy the slice markers and paste them into the other takes (other instruments). Again, you can fine tune as necessary.

Oh also, a bonus tool: TempoTap - https://www.renoise.com/tools/tempo-tap. Does what it says on the tin.

The amazing thing I’ve found is these are two exceptionally simple tools. I was doing all sorts of workarounds before, fiddling with samples and creating phrases from them, so that I could switch between phrases for comping. But then after finding these I realized the solution is actually exceptionally simple - and I’m sure these tools would be super easy to integrate into Renoise natively in a future update (hint, hint).

After using these, all you need to do after is take your best takes and put them in the pattern editor at the appropriate place. In fact, if you simply put all of your takes onto the same track (into different columns) from the beginning, you can just silence those slices you don’t want. SliceMate is especially helpful for this as the slices are already in the pattern editor. Just use the volume column or the velocity column and silence what you don’t want, or use the pattern editor to mute tracks.

Mindset:
You have to think of live instrument / vocal takes as samples - samples which you can manipulate and place just as any other sample. This may seem obvious, but I think many musicians struggle to see it that way. They see samples as ‘loops’ or breakbeats. Samples are these too, of course, but any recording of anything is essentially a sample and an instrument all of its own. When you start thinking of live instrument takes as creating samples - as creating instruments which you can slice up, it also opens up new creative ways of composing a rock or pop song. Again, I know this seems obvious, but I just think musicians see ‘samples’ as different to ‘recording’, and if you just switch your mind in this very simple way and get into this mode of thinking about ALL of your instruments, composing in Renoise suddenly makes sense, and I think the power inherent in the software really begins to stand out and become apparent.

Anyway, this is my process. If any others here use Renoise to record and comp, and use the software to create music with lots of singing, with instruments like guitars or other live instruments, or even rapping, would love to hear your process here too. Who knows - maybe you have an even better workflow? I really searched on the internet for this and didn’t find much - maybe it’ll be cool to have a thread where others can find answers much more easily.

3 Likes

I use Reaper for comping. I find it much easier to lay out vocal tracks, work through selections, and switch between takes. But some of what I do might be possible in Renoise

I wrote a tool that lets me select which comp track to hear using OSC via the command line. It’s much faster for me than using a mouse or the keyboard with the Reaper GUI. (It will mute all current comp tracks and unmute the one I want. It leaves the backing tracks alone. Way faster than trying to manually control multiple tracks via the GUI.)

I have keyboard shortcuts for coloring selections so I can visually mark which takes are better than others. Since I have the wave in front of me it’s easy to select specific sections of each take to assemble a best-of take. It’s also easy to apply, say, some sibilance dampening to a small section of audio or do very targeted volume automation.

Were I to do this in Renoise I would want something that lets me mute/unmute tracks from the command line as I do with Reaper. Each take would be its own track. Then I could go through the takes pattern by pattern and color the box to indicate my ranking (red for bad, then orange, yellow, pale green, rich green. Stuff like that),

Where I think I would have a problem is if I want to , say, copy three seconds of a take and paste it into a new composite take. It’s easy in Reaper where you see all the wave files lined up. It’s doable in Renoise but I think more difficult. (The easy access to wave view in Reaper also makes it easier to loop over small sections and A/B takes.)

Finally, Reaper has a nice pitch-correction tool built-in, for when I sing a bit flat. Really good for nudging that last syllable. : )

I don’t know what’s available for Renoise like that

One thing though is that no matter the tool or DAW you choose, I recommend looking into tools/scripts that let you run multiple commands at once from ether the command line, or from a MIDI controller. (Knowing how to write code helps : ) ) Being able to bounce among takes quickly makes it easier (for me at least) to hear the differences.

If I get ambitious I might modify my OSC scripts so that I can use one of my grid controllers, but so far my terminal script is easy to use, and fast.

I also use Reaper for recording the vocals and live instruments, and a big feature is that it will loop over a time selection and keep creating new takes on each pass. Then you can “explode” those takes to individual tracks, all in sync with the backing tracks. I don’t know if this is possible in Renoise. In general, I find Renoise clunky for any extended live audio recording or precise sample editing.

1 Like

I have tried lots of various techniques through the years, but still feel i’m stumbling a bit, but i record everything in Renoise. I’m neither a talented vocalist or guitarist, so i need to cheat wherever i can by making smaller chops and samples and mangle them. :stuck_out_tongue:
Lately i have invested in some nice plugins from Melda, like MGuitarArchitect and MTurboComp which is quite amazing when it comes to recording my guitar and other stuff too. For vocals i have been using RVox a lot, it’s a sort of gate and compressor designed for easy vocal enhancing. MAutoPitch, MUnison and MHarmonizerMB can also be useful for vocals.
I might be trying those tools mentioned, they sound useful.