Top 5 Features That Would Make Your Life Easier

@It-Alien: That’s the problem with discussing new features I suppose, since everybody has their own terms and names for things. No harm done though. If things get too obscure we can always create some mock graphics to demonstrate how it might actually look.

@it-alien: i understand your point that everyone wants different things, because they are into different kind of music, which again requires different kind of methods in order to achieve a good end result.

what i dont understand is how you can call a beatslicer feature something only breakcore fans would use. i compose ambient, sometimes beatless ambient even, and i would absolutely love to be able to use a beatslicer instead of having to spend time wresteling with the 09XX command. i think even the term “beatslicer” is very misleading. i want loop points in the sample editor that can be recalled through an advanced version of the offset command. most of the time, i will not use this feature for drums (seeing that i never use premade loops), but more for bass, hits and vocals etc…

BUT PLEASE: do not remove the offset command. it is a very very cool tool to use, and sometimes yeilds very interesting and surprising results. it would have to co-exist with a beatslicer or loop point based editor.

my two cents :)

klaus

When did anything get removed from Renoise? :D

Renoise already got so many features that I don’t think anyone will use them all.
People just do things different. No matter what genre.

‘Bloated’ is not the number of features. It is features that get in the way of your workflow. And decrease the overall ‘feeling’ of the program.
Not ever IMO have new features in renoise changed the very basic of tracking. And I’m pretty sure it will stay this way.
It’s not so much about what features we get in the future, but how they are implanted.

My list:

• Audiotracks
  • Better Resolution
  • Improved Edit options for ‘objects’ (you can read that any way you want :P , but as a way to easier move/resize notes/data, or to move clips of data, if we ever get that)
  • Improved RNI structure
  • Arranger

All big things yes… but any of this would make me :w00t:

dblue: Your suggestion is exactly what I would suggest too. :)

Mine are/is…

1. Window’s clipboard support
  2. Window’s clipboard support
  3. Window’s clipboard support
  4. Window’s clipboard support
  5. Window’s clipboard support

Support for MIDI Transport Control, that is, the ability to use the Record, Stop, Play, etc buttons on a MIDI controller.

I call this “beatslicer”, word for word.

I would not use it merely for “beats” but “beatslicer” sounds far cooler and contemporary than whatever you guys are calling this feature.

Yeah I guess it’s just semantics really. You’re probably right though… from a marketing point of view, and for the purposes of appealing to new users, “beat slicer” is a much more friendly and recognisable term. I just wouldn’t want people to actually get confused about what it does, or at least what I personally have in mind for such a feature.

As I already mentioned, I think the term “beat slicer” implies advanced functionality that is similar to a full blown application such as Recycle, ie. the ability to analyse a sample and automatically detect peaks/hits, to adjust the threshold of the peak detection, to automatically create all the markers for you, to have some ability to export all those slices to separate samples or instruments, etc, etc.

But I’m simply talking about the ability to trigger certain precise points/markers within the sample, nothing more than that really. So in my opinion that would not be a “beat slicer”, since the user would still have to actually place all the marker points themselves, and there wouldn’t really be any “slicing” happening… simply more control over things. To be honest, “SampleOffset++” is the best term I can think of at the moment. :)

Anyway… all semantics and shit aside… we need this feature!! :yeah: :dribble: :D

Then it’s a +1 for SampleOffset++ from me! :slight_smile:

the ability to run renoise AS a vsti or rewire so it can be integrated into modular synthesis or multitracking/recording software would be insanely useful. especially now that it has audioIn capabilities…

I want the maximum number of lines in pattern to be something around FFF.

Second that… :D

where exactly? :rolleyes:

there are not too many things i still miss when working with renoise.
for most of the time i can somehow get the stuff done that i had in mind.
but of course nobody is perfect, and so is renoise.

features that i miss: (i know some of them do already have WIP status - but i also know others don’t)

• Dual/MultiCore Support
    this is where the near-future of CPU development will lead us. quad-cores are here, octa-cores are coming.
  • Real/Proper Multitimbrality Support for VSTi
    probably on of the most long-termin requests. definately not easy to implement.
  • PluginDelayCompensation
    there are dozens of VST plugins that create some serious latency.
    without the support for PDC, they are rendered useless.
  • The ability to send MIDI data to VST FX
    for most vocoder plugins this is a mandatory HOST capability in order to use them properly.
    there are also reverb VSTs and other kind of plugins that would benefit from this.
  • XY-MetaDevice for VSTi
    currently, XY-Pads integreated in a vast amount of VSTi cannot be automized.

workflow improvements that i miss:

• Freely Customizeable VSTfx and VSTi sections
    i assume this should be rather easy to implement for the FX section, as we already have the tree-kinded view. Now what if the user was able to create his own virtual directories like “EQs”, “Phasers”, “Reverbs” (etc) and drag and drop the plugins in the respective directories? - it would definately cure some serious mess over here. the same could probably be done for VSTi if the pull down menu would be exchanged with a pop-up like window, designed in the manner of the VSTfx one.
  • New Arranger
    offering more overview
  • Improved Drag & Drop
    what about being able to drag a sample from the OS browser to an instrument slot?
    or an rns/xrns file from browser to main-window in order to load it?
    in my opinion, it would simply rock.
  1. Buzz machines support (http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/)
  2. Buzz machines support (http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/)
  3. Buzz machines support (http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/)
  4. Buzz machines support (http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/)
  5. Buzz machines support (http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/)
  6. Buzz machines support (http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/)

n) Buzz machines support (http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/)

:]

did I mention Buzz machines support (http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/) ?

n1)It would be nice if native reverb would have a built-in highpass filter, now i’ve to put reverb on a send channel and place a hpf before it… of course it give me what I want but adding hpf slider to reverb will make process faster and more comfortable… and cpu saving ;] Not everyone has dual-, quad-, whatever- core cpu ;]
n2)What about making effect chains modular? (like in buzz)… I know I’m asking about too many things at once but look… it would be impressive to connect effects in chain in any combinations I want instead of using send channels!

Ok, that’s what i wanted to say, thanks for attention ;]

Well if we are talking about all buzz plugins it might be true (i mean bugs)… but there are some awesome plugins (mostly the new ones) which are, in my opinion, absolutly great! I’m talking about Fuzzpliz works, Rymix Stereobox Pro, FSM Philty for example. Many buzz users produce high quality music using those plugins, so I don’t see problem with it.

so CCM files shoudn’t contain vst’s too… if I understand meaning of this sentence.

I know it might be problematic not to make Jeskola nervous but if I understand zzub idea it is GPL so if buzz plugins loader for renoise would be availble for free (like mp3 decoder before) then it should be ok?

+1
MUST HAVE!!!

+1 for multi-core feature support
+1 PDC (someone reported that TC`s powecore plugins have issues with renoise)
+1 XY metadevice
+1 ability to create & organise VST and VSTi folders (like EQs, COMPs, etc…)

If your MIDI keyboard sends out regular MMC start/stop sysex messages (not just MMC timing info), then this will already work when setting up the correct MIDI device in the MIDI sync settings…

Anything that makes editing/arranging of notes and live recording better.

Such as:

Overwriteable record mode.
Expand record (It adds patterns when it reaches the end of the song.)
Quantisize during recording and selection of notes.

Arranger

Moving selection of notes subticks up or down.

Warp selection of notes.
(When a recording is nice but starts in the middle of a pattern and ends in the beggining of the pattern.)
(Or starts in the middle of a pattern and ends in the middle of another pattern.)

Being able to add and subtrack from a selection.

Being able to select much smaller elements.

Also a auto detect of chords in offline mode. For easy entering of chords from midikeyboard.

Beatslicer: Is nice but far down on my list.

Arranger