Top 5 Features That Would Make Your Life Easier

Oh yes! i brainstormed last night about “beatslicing”:
It would be easy for Taktik to implement:

just if you use a 09xx command in the pattern editor, show up the “slice” you selected in the sample-editor.
This way, you can have a visual on you cutting, and voilá!

what do you think guys?
to slow down:

1. make an 0950 command for example.
  2. go to the sample-editor and see a colored pin/line/point on the place the 0950 would play the sample.

:D

You allready have this the other way around. If you go to the sample editor and click somewhere in the sample, you can see the offset code 09xx

I dont really see the point of doing it the other way around and how it makes things easier. But if someone sees the point, and it would be real easy to implement, then why not.

however. there is something i miss in the offset command. when i was tracking in protracker and fasttracker i remember 900 being a command to repeat the last used offset, not playing the sample from the start. what is the point of having a offset command for playing the sample from position 0? it allready does that without any commands. i think the pro/fasttracker implementation is way more clever and usefull. i just wanted it of my chest

Makes sense. There is no need of a 0900 command, repeating the last 09xx is time-saving.

EDIT:
I haven’t participated in this topic of 5 life-saving features ;) yet, so here are some that surely make mine easier:

1 - BETTER HANDLING OF LONG SAMPLES (in any way, I don’t care)
2 - DRAG AND DROP (I was really disappointed to know that it’s currently impossible because of GUI kind, but I wonder how it is possible in OGGDropXPd then!)
3 - CHANGABLE DELAY TIME WITH TEMPO
4 - PRIMARY WAVEFORMS GENERATOR IN SAMPLE EDITOR
5 - NEW COMMAND FOR PLAYING SAMPLES WITH DESIRED AMOUNT OF FINE-TUNING (for times I compose in traditional Persian modes… I’m very selfish, I know!)

RE: beat slicers being unnecessary.

The resolution of 09xx is not high enough. Most times transients in drum loops fall between offsets. At the moment with 09xx you cannot accurately trigger from the optimum points (ie usually at zero crossings). Try rearranging the Apache break with sample offset!

Also, without independent loop triggers, and to an extent loops, you cannot pitch and rearrange breaks without them sounding wrong. For these reasons I think a ‘beat slicer’ of sorts would satisfy many users.

1. Dual core support. Rendering songs twice as fast, hmm…

2. I won’t hold my breath for this, but:

• rendering all songs in a folder and subfolders, recreating the directory structure in the folder where the rendered files are written to
  • putting a marker in the songs that got rendered which says “this song has been rendered, the rendered file has a checksum of X”, and when the song is edited (and thus the rendered file becomes outdated), that marker is removed.

In short: an easy way to create up to date rendered wavs of ALL songs, skipping songs that have not changed. Right now I’d like that more than any single feature I can think of, except dual core support.

Oh, and “two pass rendering” to find out the maximum volume. Doing that by hand is boring.

1. PDC!

2. When you have a long sample, play it correctly no matter where you begin to play. To me the sexiest solution would be

• (way!) higher resolution for the 9xx command
  • when you play a sample, renoise calculates the 9xxxxxxx ( :P) value for each line, and optionally displays that.

But I’m sure this will never happen*, so simply let Renoise calculate that internally. Considering on how much memory that can take in songs with high speed and lots of tracks, better add an option to calculate (that is, store) it only for every N lines (as a song setting).

• (I think (hope!) giving the effect column one more digit (better two, one for fx-id and one for enhanced parameter resolution) is going to happen, but making it really long for just one command? Nahhhh…)
  1. Rendering “debug” stuff. Right now the only thing I am thinking of is to output which VST instances consumed how much CPU time, but there’s probably more.

Maybe longer file handling can be achieved best with some kind of metadevice named ‘diskstream’ or something, which opens up as an (vsti)instrument in which you can load big samples. Like a watered down renoise version of EnergyXT.

Maybe this would be easier to implement then having to completely re-write the way renoise handles audio.

A much needed improvement on the following noisy effects:

All three EQs.
Flanger
Phaser
Compressor

In that order of necessity. If these were improved I’d feel more comfortable recommending their usage to other people, but unfortunately I currently recommend to others to use 3rd part effects. For example I’d love to write and InDepth article on EQing, but it’s not going to look good if I say please use Effect X instead. It’s a matter of PR, not so much anything that will save my songs etc.

I was thinking that If we had a Renoise API, so that people could themselves be writing plugins (like with BUZZ), then these and many other earlier mentioned “features” could be handled more collaboratively.

hello all
i stumbled upon renoise 1.8 yesterday and impulse bought it:) so far no dissappointment, but as far as wishes go:
my wishlist would be

• a more intuitive and flexible pattern sequencer which can be controlled on the fly with dedicated keycommands
  • track based patterns like in c64 trackers
  • being able to bind several functions to one keycommand (especially record+metronome)
  • being able to bind cc messages to on/off functions or gui buttons so i can use the buttons on my maudio ozonev2 to control renoise
  • an option to turn off editstep automatically when editing fx colums by hand
  • a graphical separator between notes and instruments, i have a hard time looking for a certain instrument as i mix many on one track
  • option to turn off / setup gui elements in more detail

greetings
michael

I’m so glad to see I’m not the only one that gripes about sample offset.

Other trackers out there have FOUR columns for parameters:
instead of

09xx

it’s…

09 xxxx <-----------beat slicing heaven.

…or any other fine parameter track effect control you want.

Step it up!

like in the DMC-Series ? (Never used any other on the C64). I have never seen this concept again, but it is definately a good one. But I don’t think we will see this in Renoise, not soon anyway. Also on the C64 those three channels were directly linked to the channels of the chip (= instruments) which is simply not the concept anymore.

just set editstep to 0, but generally turning it off is not good, I need this quite often.

I’d personally prefer user definable sample offsets than more resolution… I really don’t want to have to type in 09F8B6 every time I want to trigger a specific hihat… never mind having to REMEMBER shit like that… Being able to assign 0901 to hat and 0902 to snare would be much better… imo ;)

no kidding!

1. Bpm for song … no speed setting… and the ability to set different tracks (or maybe sections of tracks) to 16ths, 32nds, 64ths, etc etc…Double the size of the other tracks, or zoom or anything like it! this on its own would force me to marry renoise.

2. Multi layering of samples in instruments and option of different envelope, filter etc settings for each sample within an instrument. In which case Id not only marry renoise… i wouldnt cheat on it.

3. Pattern arranger. A good one… I mean the current one isnt useless but having it in renoise is like tieing a skip to someone who can run the 100 meters in 6 seconds.

4. A few extra options for the sample editor. Mix paste, Simple mono/stereo conversion and editing of either channel. Lots more things ive bloody forgotten now im writing this… grr…

5. Id like to tag blocks of notes and commands with a colour or name or something. I know what with the colours of the commands being as important as it is this would be a pain to make workable but it would be really useful. Or Perhaps a side bar that can be opened next to a track that would show each sample name by the note? Id like it anyway.

One option to get higher resolution on the 09xx command at the moment is to split the sample in half and just use a different set of 256 blocks on each half. Maybe we could have an option to divide a sample into 1,2,3 etc blocks of 256 (without making new samples) and give a different command to each block. Ie if 06xx, 07xx and 08xx werent already used they could be used for this. OR with a beatslicer each cue region could use the 09xx effect as usual for ultra chopped up resynthesis features.
Sorry maybe thats stupid … i havent had much sleep… just a random idea.

It would be nice if I could snap to the height of an exist point while drawing an automation envelope. This way I can make straight lines without copying the value from one point to another.

I can’t think of somehting else.

Again :) I’d be very happy with a pimped automation editor. Unlimited resolution, so you can stick a dot anywhere, but keeping the snapability to track position intact as well of course (maybe similar to sample editor 64th 128th etc). More curves to play with then a bbw, + the über-request of being able to draw automation over multiple patterns!

Hey maybe the nice and easy solution to the 09xx resolution issue…
Just add another effect column, so you get 0900 0000.
Now we need the coders to make an exception rule:

if you place a 09xx left to another effect column, expand 09xx to 09xx xxxx :)

In all other situations, like “0520 092F” would just slide the note and slice something at 092F.
But if you like to combine these two in the future, write “092F 0000 0520”

Is this a workable idea?

a pulldown menu with a list of 1000 genres of music, and a button to the side saying ‘create tune for me’

:D

life would be a lot easier if you could combine 0BXX with 09XX… oh my…

You mean playing a sample backwards and setting its offset?
This combination does work. The only thing you have to consider in that case, is that 9FF represents the beginning of the sample and 900 the end.
Try it using the panning column for the backward effect:

C-5 00 -- B0 0920  

Edit: typo