VST3 Plugins glitchy on Linux

edit: Version 3.3.1 works fine, in Version 3.3.2 there are glitches and graphical issues with VST3 plugins

Is it just me or is anyone having also issues with glitchy GUIs of VST3 plugins? I’m on Ubuntu 20.04 and basically all U-he plugins I tested show this. I also upgraded to the latest versions and no change.

Did you already try Yabridge

or

midi_matrix.lv2

in addition?

?

Not yet, I don’t really want to add another layer. I don’t have even wine installed.

Probably you can manage Carla to work?
KXStudio : Applications : Carla

If not, you could at least try out the Debian based AV Linux for this job.

Sorry, but for what? The point is that VST3 is glitchy in Renoise. Sure I can use Wine and the windows VSTs, but U-he is making VSTs for Linux and they should work.

1 Like

I tried again version 3.3.1 and this is working perfectly! So, the problem is only in 3.3.2.

2 Likes

Still having problems?Here in Ubuntu 21.04 and Renoise 3.2.2 Diva and Ace working fine both vst2 and vst3.I opened the install.sh with the text editor and here is some help for you.
Also upgrade Ubuntu maybe that will help too

Troubleshouting

If you have an issue maybe your solution is somewhere on KVR:

1 Like

Yup, still issues with 3.3.2, but not with 3.3.1. Is there any solution in the KVR forum? The linked thread is quite old.

I’m on Ubuntu LTS, so I really don’t plan to upgrade.

When I open Diva, Hive etc. (VST3) I have a black rectangle under the GUI which is blinking. When I move the VST GUI down one time and up again it vanishes and the GUI looks ok until I reopen it.

1 Like

Does this happen on Wayland only? Try xorg or maybe it has something to do with your screen settings

1 Like

I’m using Xfwm4, no wayland. As it’s working with the previous Renoise version, I don’t believe it’s due to my settings. Also no issues on Reaper and Bitwig.

1 Like

Strange behavior although i tried bitwig too and gave me some errors like the vst ace taking time to load but i pressed skip and it loaded fine afterwards. Try exporting GDK_BACKEND=x11 like they say in the kvr thread even try loading the plugins in sandbox mode

1 Like

any news on this? This still happens in 3.4.2.

renoise_diva_gui

I tried running Diva in a sandbox and “export GDK_BACKEND=x11” didn’t work, either.

1 Like

Yes, here the same. All Vst3 Plugins I tried (Zebra. Hive. Vital) also crash Renoise at some point

Would be great if this can be fixed in the next version :slight_smile: @taktik

I also experience this with Odin 2, but not with Surge XT. Strangely, being the awesome beast it is, Surge XT just works no matter even host related bugs. :wine_glass:

One thing I noticed though is that Odin 2’s window is not resizable, while Surge XT has a fully (horziontally and vertically) resizable window. Maybe that’s why it just flexes itself to the correct looks in times of stress.

Odin 2 cut vertically and horizontally and totally unusable looks like this:

1 Like

Odin looks the same on my main PC running Ubuntustudio 20.04. I tested i also on a laptop running xubuntu 20.04 and it looks fine. Also the glitchtiness of the VST3 Uhe plugins is only at the beginning when the plugin loads.

Graphics of the laptop:

Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Renoir driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.41.0 5.13.0-51-generic LLVM 12.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6

Will also test a live system on my main PC later.

This is when using the live image:
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
v: 4.5 Mesa 21.0.3

and this on my current installation:
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6

Can you post the output of inxi - F?
What Linux Distro are you using?

I use Debian 11 with Xorg server. I guess the issue is not related to any system configuration, drivers etc. As I mentioned, Surge XT, which has a resizable window is not affected by this bug. It’s looks like an issue with plugin window resizing logic in relation to the linux graphics stack in renoise.

I didn’t know the inxi command BTW. Very helpful info. Thanks!

> Graphics:  Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] driver: i915 v: kernel 
>            Device-2: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia v: 470.141.03 
>            Device-3: Quanta USB HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
>            Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa 
>            resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz 
>            OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.5
1 Like

The glitches are are less when using the Ubuntustudio 22.04 live system compared to my 20.04 main installation, but I don’t know… Hopefully this can be solved.