What do 3.3 really needs…

preview’able .xrns files in the diskop.

I have tons of wips and unfinished dribble, would be great to preview songs like you can do samples, a quick reminder of what is going on inside without having to load.

A small 10-20 second clip would be sufficient imo, not necessarily the whole song. Perhaps through embedded preview .mp3 / flac in the xrns file? Something which can be enabled by the user, set through selecting a range in the sequence list and use a right mouse menu option called ‘make song preview’ or sumptin’ :slight_smile: . Ah dreams :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This would be super cool. It would keep things nice and compact. Right now I bang out a render almost every time I save to be able to do just this—it’s like muscle memory.

But my songs folder looks like this x100:
Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 11.52.11

Not optimal :rofl:

2 Likes

Xrns preview +1,a must

Not sure I understand what you mean but could creating a Doofer not solve this for you?

As it stands currently there are a few way to map LFOs to native devices:

1. LFO > Device
  2. LFO > Hydra > Device
  3. LFO > Meta Mixer > Device
  4. LFO > XY Pad > Device

There are probably a few other I’ve not listed that I don’t know about such as the formula device. And I’m ignoring the option of mapping LFOs to the macros meta device because that’s a separate thing altogether.

The first two setups in the above list are my primary uses.

In setup 1 you can map the lfo to the device and set the range but it’s not good for setting accurate ranges, it is good however for just creating free running or synced lfos that don’t need accurate settings.

In setup 2 the hydras min & max settings can be used to define the range of the setting with precision, in this case the filters cutoff, 5.00khz - 20.00khz.

In both setups you need to load up multiple devices and and rename them individually if you want to be neat and keep track of your workflow. For instance I would name the lfo as “Filter Cutoff” for example, and I would rename the hydra “range”. This isn’t a problem it works perfectly fine and has been my way of working for 2 years. I will also combine these down into doofers sometimes for the sake of neatness.

In contrast, and to clarify the point I’m trying to make for the feature I’d like to see, in Ableton you have a filter device that looks like this Ableton-Live-Auto-Filter The lfo is nested inside the actual GUI of the device meaning you simply load up the effect and you don’t have to load up any other seperate devices, meaning you also don’t have to rename any other seperate devices either. The lfo has all the settings you need inside the device and when you’ve finished setting up the device and the lfo settings you simply minimize it and you’re done. This minimizes visual clutter and helps keep long DSP chains more compact creating a neater workflow.

This is what I’d like to see implemented into Renoise across all the devices. Additionally you could add range settings for the lfo inside the devices GUI as well, and a reset button. Making them much neater and faster to work with. I’m not suggesting getting rid of the stand-alone LFO device at all in case that’s what people are thinking, I think it’s great already (except that I would like it to be able to run at audio rate as well as LPC but that’s a separate issue). I’m just suggesting that adding this feature would extend the capabilities of the software and be more beneficial to current users workflow and possibly new users workflow also.

The current setup works fine but can be time consuming, and sometimes you need to work fast to get an idea out before it’s gone.

Also creating a doofer would work in that it would allow the option for range settings like a hydra but it’s the same process as setting up the LFO > Hydra > Device, rather than just loading up a device with a nested lfo inside it.

1 Like

Renoise 3.3 needs for Linux to enable keyboard inside a vst to play notes🙄

The VST itself should have an option at the bottom like this for example Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 20.51.25
Do you not have that on Linux?

@Redman
No, this option is not available in Linux. Taktik knows about this problem

More than 2 VST directory is a necessity.
Only 2 directory cause lots of problem in tracking where are the plugins and which are missing.
4 directory should be bare minimum.

1 Like

yes, potentially, but not for people who use Linux or do not use vst plugins (but only native devices). I consider this as something trivial since it is not something all folks would benefit from.

reply to fxbip

hi, i want to speak to everyone here that we no longer need vst3 because i sold reason 11😁

2 Likes

renoise 3.3 needs a real business plan with at least one release per season, even for small upgrades, one big updates every two years makes absolutely no sense to me…

2 Likes

Maybe the purpose of Renoise is more than, “maximizing profits.” Business plans, quarterly releases, new updates…

What’s that about? The purpose of a corporation can be more than just, “to profit as much as possible.”

1 Like

if renoise really needs something, then i hope it will fall before 2023
if renoise doesn’t need nothing, then we could close this topic immediatly

the last big update for 3.2 was really cool, with 4 or 5 big improvements, that were really cool, and wich some users were waiting for 2 years, why not give only 1 big improvements more or less every 6 months? it would make the buzz regularly and would give a better visibility of renoise, but yes, ok, perhaps it’s not the goal…

5 Likes

Regarding the LFO / modulation discussion: I actually would discourage integrating modulators into target devices. Ableton Live has a variety of devices with a variety of ways to modulate them, and I always have to hunt. Same with VST plugins and synths in general. A much better design, IMO, is the modulation system in Bitwig Studio. Modulators are separate and can be added on demand, but they are accessible from the device (or an ancestor, in the common case of a device tree). Renoise seems to think somewhat in the same vein, with dedicated modulator devices, which is awesome. Bitwig’s just got it smoothed out a bit more, elegantly combines modulators, etc. Love both these DAWs!

2 Likes

Alternatively, you could use devices designed for splitting signals based on frequency or mid/side. Then put those devices wherever you want in the signal path.

My dream feature for the next update is a simple one: the ability to map note names as presented in the pattern editor, etc. For example, “C#4” can be renamed “r 4” or “0_4” or “Rs*” or “1-4” or any short string that fits in the same UI space. This makes it possible to develop a consistent mental model for different pieces in different root keys, modes, etc.

The MIDI standard note names are an unfortunate accident of history, and the irregularity of the naming pattern hinders what should be simple calculation. Seven semitones up from D is A, from D# it’s A#… and from A it’s E, but from A# it’s F. These exceptions screw up the mental model in the same way that piano keyboards screw up muscle memory. I always have to calculate, or “just write it in A minor again” as I often do. Letting users set names customized for the current song isn’t something Renoise 3.3 needs, but it sure would be awesome!

1 Like

What a cool new feture also would be is to DRAG the MIXFADERS UPWARDS. So letss say yu have disabled the Waveform Display leaven a huge space upwards, then yu could also drag the Mixer with the Meters Updwards and withtat increasing the fineness of the meters and also the lenghts and precisions of the Fader! Makes sense?

Speaking of the Mixer - if you wanted to go, “hardcore,” the faders could have a built in “rider” type functionality

Edit = that could be turned on and off…

1 Like

or you could use volume column or automate volume fader in the fx column? i think this is better - because you have full control

1 Like