What feature are you hoping for in upcoming Renoise releases?

:v:t3:I am a new Renoise user.
I have been trying the demo for 3 days and am already thinking about purchasing the software. I’ve tried pretty much every DAW out there and can’t believe such a powerful DAW is so light on the CPU, cheap and little known.
One thing I’d like to have about Renoise in the future is a slicing mode more like FL Studio’s.
I will explain:
when I apply the first slice the sample plays on the Z, when I apply other slices and I want to hear if the cut is accurate, maybe fix it, I always have to go back to Z, otherwise I don’t see the slices, while in FL Slicex if I press R I hear the corresponding sample and I can fix it, if I press Q I hear the corresponding sample and I can fix it …

It’s the only minor flaw I’ve found in Renoise so far, but it remains a fantastic DAW.

(or maybe this feature already exists and I haven’t discovered it yet?)

1 Like

I’m feeling like a little kid… I keep asking myself “when when when when when when”. C’mon Santa Claus! I don’t know what Renoise is getting outside of some more support on other devices, but I’m gonna keep wishing.

3 Likes

moto1
when you enable/toggle this button, any slice that you play (by triggering virtual piano/qwerty or midi) is being selected/highlighted. Is this what you mean?

3 Likes

@dspasic Yeeeeah! Thanks!

1 Like

I think Renoise could be stronger for live looping.

Would be nice to have the option to record into a pattern and…

• auto stop recording at the end of the pattern
  • trigger sample recording right away in slot 0

Voila! Live looping in Renoise!

7 Likes

Here’s my current wishlist as of 2022

• Option to disable that the table is moving around the edit position, so you can edit a pattern like you would in a regular text editor without the note table jumping around on you all the time.

• Different Loop Lengths for pattern tracks / auto loop zones and a burn to pattern option (ala FL Studio)

• Free Running Modulators that don’t retrigger

• Mini Mixer in the insturment Tab or spectrum/osc view, so I don’t have to switch to the mixer view.

• Ableton Link

• Drum Notation Tracks (BD, SD, etc instead of C4, C3 / Note Tables)

• Audio Warping inside the Sampler (with Automatable Warp Markes)

• Being abe to Change The Samplers FX and MOD Chains via a FX Command in the Pattern Editor / Being able to trigger different Envelopes as an FX in the Table

• Being able to automate the Sampler (Transpose, fine tune, sample start in the automation lane)

3 Likes

just some QOL improvements I am hoping for, especially for editing instruments with a lot of samples:

• A possibility to filter/search the samples of an instrument (like you can already do in the file browser) and/or more sorting options like sample length - overall this window is really hard to navigate once you have more than a couple of samples
  • better sample selection for keyzone editor (selecting all samples in one keyzone becomes impossible if there are samples in the neigbouring keyzones. e.g. allow box-selection to start slightly above/below the keyzone would already help)
  • better way to copy samples between instruments and/or merge existing instruments into one
  • a way to do batch-editing to all selected samples for some operations (normalize, cross-fade …) like you can already to with sample properties
  • add sample groups or layers to instruments for better organisation and more playback options e.g. have the possibility to have one layer of overlapping samples play cycle/random and overlap another group while both play at once or have different groups of articulations per keyzone etc.
  • ability to easily mute samples / sample groups
  • allow “Render Instrument to Samples” to capture round-robins by doing multiple capture passes per keyzone and velocity step, automatically remove duplicates
1 Like

“Fade In” option in LFO, like this.

FadeIn01

7 Likes

Is there a way to emulate this using a fader device before the lfo?

2 Likes

Yes. I can make it.
but I think “It is convenient”, so I posted :smiley:

3 Likes
  • Track Freeze/Unfreeze (I’m surprised no more people need this)
  • Ability to change the number of lines up/down when scrolling (why not use Edit Step instead of 2 lines)
  • Ability to see the end of (long) samples notes in the pattern editor
  • Ability to see the latency and CPU usage of both plugin effect and plugin instrument (now we have CPU usage of plugin instrument)
2 Likes

+1000

If you didn’t know, there is a track freeze tool; Freeze Track | Renoise :

“The tool will render down a single instrument track into audio files either on a pattern by pattern basis or as a single linear sample.”

But something like this natively for use with selections in the pattern editor would be great to have as well. There is the “render and slice” tool though; https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-render-and-slice/

Ideally it would be great if the rendered sliced data could replace the original pattern editor selection, muting residing Track_dsp/vst fx for the time of the rendered selection, so the result is seamless on the same track. But having the renders placed back into the song is already a big win imo. Seems like the tool is gone though :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks @Jonas ! The original version does not work with 3.3 but the modified version by @Frank_Baumgartner that I haven’t seen before does: ‘Freeze Track’ script for Renoise 3.1.1 | baumi's blog

It is already a huge time (and CPU) saver :wink:

The “track freezing” of “Tracktion waveform” is very powerful…

Can be a good model for Renoise

But there is a problem…the sidechaining…for example

Hydra also can lead to problems…

Renoise have to create a “smart track freezing”

2 choices:

1-do you want to freeze tracks interactions (full freezing…max cpu boost)
2-do you want to freeze streams prior to interactions

1 Like

Elastique timestretch algorithms, along with the ability to stretch samples in a “manual” way (unbound by numbers of lines).

Edit: Actually, how about multiple types of timestretching. Including, but not limited to, gritty, nasty, granular timestretching (with multiple grains… I’m not just talking about phrases and 0SXX commands here).

8 Likes

@Daed Man, you speakin’ my language! BTW, have you checked out Radium’s granular capabilities? It sounds so much like Paulstretch mixed with a Pure Data granular patch. Just beautiful. I can’t use Radium very well on my Mac - too much going on, very difficult for me. Still. I’ve been begging for this (as you know) for several years now - since 2018, maybe?

Is timestretching so hard to program that every audio program licenses known solutions? I get it saves time programming and you could up the price for your product to account for the licensing costs, but perhaps native solutions are worth exploring?

Recently got fl studio and am pretty amazed how easy it is to drag audio into weird grooves using time stretching. This in renoises sample editor would be amazing.

4 Likes

Absolutely- it’s such a useful sound-processing effect! Automated, smooth, it’s just amazing in HQ! Reaper is a good example of this.

Yeah new timestrech types would be cool and not that hard to implement, basically you need another option in the list and integrate the algos… I would like an old school timestretch similar to what is available in reaper or bitwig…

6 Likes

Commenting, bound to/ssved with the song and/or other levels of items (all renoise formats sort of).

Could be solved by a static button with a greyed out colour when no comment is saved at that specific bound item.

Perhaps im just old and forgetting stuff…

I see these uses:

1. Bound to each pattern would make it possible to click it and wrote a thought of why i did something, eitger to myself or to a friend when cooperating.

2. Bound to a phrase - it could tell why it was created and specifics on ideas on how to use it.

3. To a song… some bragging? Dont know :wink:

4. To custom effects? (Dont know yet if it’s possible)

5. To a track, more info than the track name…

This could ofcourse be built as some kind of chat per comment button. For debates about wheter square or saw bass is better for … whatever…

I could produce some fake gui examples tomorrow.