What Would You Like To See In A Renoise 3.0?

exterlnal hardware support and control

+1

there’s a poll/voting system for features in the backstage. looks like it hasn’t been used for quite a while, but maybe now’s the time :panic:

EDIT: just noticed this feature is removed in the new backstage.

:)

Haven’t been using Renoise for a while, but bought a new license last week. I was playing some notes on the keyboard but it was still non-straightforward:

1. Started too late.
  2. The note data was more than 4 patterns.
    To correct this was really cumbersome. So I concluded the problem with Renoise (trackers) is the imposed way of storing data in pre-bordered blocks, called patterns. Its an obstacle for workflow, especially MIDI and multi pattern note-data. So my 10 cents for version 3.0 is that I would like to see that patterns become clips. You may still call them patterns but they’re rather a modular set of track data for a specific amount of lines, such that you can align them in the clip-arranger (former pattern arranger).

Please don’t crucify me (yet ;) )… Combined with zoom functionality I think it doesn’t put down the value of vertical “tracking”. :)

BTW :

sample keyzone options:
-crossfade between zones: smooth transition between keyzones/velocities
-resample switch: standard resample / static pitch / static speed: (pretty much a time stretchy zone)

native effects could be embedded into xrni instruments

options for printing out sequences

• Renoise loadable as VSTi?

yawn

this
also native time stretching

I have reservations about audiotracks in Renoise. Would having a separate view with horizontal audio tracks in it be that much better than simply ReWiring in another DAW? If this were added, they would no doubt then be asked to add automation overlays on the tracks, and lots of other things. It’s not like this is a one time thing they can add. They have to then maintain and support this new part of Renoise.

It seems like a lot to ask of the developers to be honest. That seems like the sort of thing that would increase the size of the development team and price. I would rather keep Renoise at its current pricepoint, and use that money to buy a DAW that was designed for audiotracks. You can load energyXT as a vst if you need audiotracks.

Be wary of feature creep…

I agree! “be wary of feature creep.” I think a daw, like cubase, or pt, or sonar how more than, “audio tracks,” it has all the editng features that audio tracks need. This is a huge undertaking… lol

Renoise is most awesome. For 3.0, I’d love to see easy breazy stuff… lol. cool new filters. more native sound design tools. Maybe some great sounding eq. possibly more → bass cabinet emulations.

some sort of native drum machine, that is inspired by Reaktor’s microtonic! this could be brilliant. nothing to complex, but it add’s a whole new dynamic to Renoise… when it has native options for sound and drum design…

there are a lot of things… I’d love to use, but $$ and hey, whatever, I don’t crack. But soundtoys makes a killer filter, what about something like that for Renoise? Pspaudioware is all about vintage sounding compressors, what about that for Renoise? UAD has these prize Eq’s… This is where Renoise could really start to excel…

I agree with what Mr. BW said.

Even though I know it would NEVER happen, I would like to see a ditch of the tracker interface as the MAIN gui in place of a blank slate that you can just put widgets into ie “objects”, a dsp specification for instruments and effects and full modular capability.

Then you can blend all of the individual objects together to interact with the main clock. Trackers, piano roll, traditional step sequencers, multitrack recording, block arrangers, etc. Kind of like reaktor/max mixed with energy xt, renoise, and buzz. Sort of like Logic’s environment as well. Then the dev team can simply focus on keeping the specification up to date/work on OS support rather than features and just let the community dev that because it’s full of programmers anyway. That’s how Buzz, Reaktor, etc got to be so massive anyways with all of the different instruments without going third party and it will drive more people because they can just pick a widget layout that they like and use that. (even no frills tracker if they want)

Maybe you should use a different DAW

send to any track(s)/group(s), any way, left or right, and definitively remove send tracks, they would become obselete with this way :D… (no?, ok, i just upgraded from 2.7.2 yesterday, so, maybe am i still missing some points…)

i thing some kind of audiotrack mode in the sampler would be better. something that let you put cue point into the wav form and timestrech/pitchshift between 2 cue point. this way you can easily edit the waveform but also just have to put the cue point into the pattern editor (with autoseek fonction of course) this way you preserve the workflow of renoise but have also th benefit of audio track

for me pattern command and sampler function are the biggest thing to expand cause t’s what make renoise special no need for another studio kinda daw. if you want one just buy one

i’m also all for the kurtz suggestion that would really improve the workflow

I imagine that audio tracks could be handled like this:

Tracks can be toggled between “tracking” tracks and audio tracks, maybe decided upon creation. Audio would be loaded by drag-and-drop from the sample browser. Each bit of audio could be moved vertically, perhaps snapping to each line if shift is held. Trimming would be simply dragging the edges, and audio could be split into separate clips with the S key. Holding control and dragging an edge would timestretch the audio. The edges of audio tracks can be dragged left or right to expand or contract the view of the audio waveform. Maybe audio tracks can even be zoomed, in which case the tracker tracks would simply expand each line to match the zoom.

Here’s a quick mock-up I did:

MIDI-Mappable DSP Toggles!!! PLEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEee

can you be more specific?

I posted a mockup of what people would like the next renoise to be like

3230 beatbox-nativity-logic-pro-screenshot.png

^_^

however I don’t think that some people want to work with vertical audiotracks for the pleasure/fun of verticality

some people would like a true fusion between the current vertical pattern logic, and the audiotrack features you’ll find in lots of other DAWs

if you read the Faints previous comments you’ll see that he’d like the audiotracks automatically snap to the pattern lines, easily slicable, and to be easily resizable through a native timestretch

of course lots of tracker boyz will never use this kind of feature, however, you’ll find some musicians that sing, or play guitar (for example), and that could be very happy to easily place their realtime recordings into their patterns, thanx to audiotracks

What Kurtz said, and an audio track is also the sensible way to represent bounced tracks.