What Would You Like To See In A Renoise 3.0?

I just wanted to ass a few cents on the audio tracks issue. I have previously said it’s a dumb idea because Renoise is a tracker, and alot of us trekkers are agreeable to this. But after thinking about it for a while, I have a few points to make. Firstly, Renoise is indeed tracker-based, and uses a tracker-style spreadsheet for composition. But the fact is, Renoise has already gone past the scope of trackers. They’ve added tools to improve the functionality and possibility; sample tools for chopping, slicing, accessing, stretching, layering and mangling, and VST and native DSP tools for creating all sorts of sonic textures, far from SAW/SQR/SIN/NOIZ, and creating rich, near-endless combinations of sounds,. all this in a ddition to the many tools within the software as a means to improve the possibilities for us.
So I understand audio tracks are a break from the tradition of trackers, but Renoise has already been pushing the limits of what a tracker can be, what a tracker can do. Why not give them free range to keep pushing boundaries? Who knows if the devs even want to consider the idea of audio tracks? But if they do, would you want their creativity blocked by some purists? Eventually every upgrade to Renoise puts it further ahead of the classic definition of a tracker, but puts more power in our hands. I think audio tracks( yes I’d prefer vertical by the way ) would be a huge boon to many musicians, adding the possibility of session musicians and vocals and other non-quantifiable performances more sleekly into our songs, without going to another software package for those elements, or turning on auto-seek and just dropping in the recording to a new track, heaven forbid it’s off-sync. So do I think audio tracks would make Renoise any less of a tracker? No, it should always be a tracker with a grid and confusing numbers and letters( though a very powerful, flexible tracker). Would audio tracks vastly increase the power of the software? Yes, most certainly.

I’d like to still see buzz-ish modular effects routing…maybe have a minimap or even semimodular with simply a small grid and you turn routings on and off. But other than that, I can’t really think of anything ReNoise needs. At this point, it’s really just icing on the cake and some of the things being added are starting to clutter up the interface…

Also, I’m still wanting nibbles!

Nibbles | Renoise were you aware of this one? :)

I can’t see how audiotracks will improve my current workflow, other then being a visual heads up on how certain sounds look next to note events in the pattern editor, maybe easy aligning of for example, a reversed cymbal swell?

I don’t know if that is worth the implementation, all the trouble.

It’s more an issue of handling long samples like vocals and acoustic instruments. ATM saving takes a long time if you have a substantial number of these tracks. Also the workflow isn’t so great (if you record an audio track, it should just go into the song, rather htan having to turn on autoseek and place a dummy note to start it). IAlso relating to sample size is that it’s probably a good idea to stream these tracks form the disk to avoid running into memory issues (if you, for example, have 30-40 tracks of live guitars, vocals drums etc).

The visualization aspect is actually secondary to these workflow things to me. But it’s kindof a pain to work with a 3 minute audio track and have to remember that there was a note on event 60 patterns ago without any visual cue. Having a visual representation also allows for additional fancier features like slices and edits on long tracks, but these are less important to me than getting the basic functionality.

This times a million. +11

This is why Paketti ( http://tools.renoise.com/tools/paketti ) has a “Sample and place note on pattern, with GlideNote set to 01, enable AutoSeek” under 1 midibutton. or 1 keyboard shortcut.
I press it once, sample recorder starts recording in Pattern Loop Mode. Press it another time, recording stops, note is placed on pattern row 00, Glidenote01 is set so you can play 10 minute wavefiles fully while still looping a 32 row pattern.

I really like it, and it’s really swell, and it should be native, of course.

what a tracker is that? revisit?

Ah yes, makes sense for music that relies on long recorded takes. Renoise isn’t fit for multi-tracking a.t.m, but thats why the rewire thing was implemented some time ago, so you can hook it up to reaper or something. Wouldn’t mind having everything self-contained though.

AHX

Very cool, thanks for the tip, I didn’t know about that feature. I figured it’s probably pretty easy to address some of those workflow issues via scripting (that’s what it’s for) but as you say, integrating it into the native workflow is best.

Having been an IT user, paketti definitely looks tempting, but I’m also wary of adopting something that would radically alter the workflow like this (even if it’s for the better) in case new features get introduced which don’t fit in with the logic of this setup. Maybe that’s being paranoid though.

1. LilyPond Export or
  2. MusicXML Export or, the best:
  3. “Normal” Notation

My new updated feature wishlist:

1. VST3 support + native sidechain support for AU / VST3 on OSX and VST3 on Windows. Sidechain-supporting plugins would be also listed in send device. Sidechain also for Renoise’s internal devices like compressor and ringmod. (Maybe helpful, http://arne.knup.de/?page_id=86 :lol: )

2. Zoomable pattern on Y-axis, by holding shift and using mouse scroll wheel. The pattern rows will be more and more separated until a new row fits between two rows. On this point the pattern resolution is doubled. If you continue to zoom, the resolution will be quadrupled and so on… If you zoom out, you maybe loose notes on the display, but a different colored note or a tiny arrow indicates that there are notes below the visible resolution on this position. Or all notes will be displayed, no matter if they overlap.

3. More smooth song position movement in pattern, maybe pixelwise, not row wise. Would be fit to the zoom feature. Smooth 60Hz animation, not ~30Hz like now. 60Hz much more easy to follow for the eyes.

4. dsp chain not dependent on tracks, multi selection in mixer possible

5. Multiple song templates, combinable/joinable. Could make point 4 obsolete.

6. Native midi NRPN and sysex support in auto learn dialoge

7. Midi record optimizations: Quantization always changeable, 3-state-button for Quantization: Off, On, Only Notes/Preserve Lengths. Optional simple note sort in a way that the lowest note appears on the left track, the next note next right and so on…

8. Midi Clock out for multiple devices

9. Pattern commands are automatable with the automation graph under section “Pattern”, above “Mixer”: delay value for creating graphical grooves, volume for note volume / midi volume changes, etc. Also usage of lfos on pattern commands, for example to implement non destructive humanization etc.

10. Point mode in automation graph is displayed like the in the image below and more easy to change:
    Attachment 3139 not found.

11. Render directly to FLAC

12. More filter algorithms for the filter device

13. Formula device for audio signals, so you can “easily” program a simple dsp.

What do you think?

[quote=“Jurek, post:172, topic:35189”]
10. Point mode in automation graph is displayed like the in the image below and more easy to change:
Attachment 3139 not found.

yes! :)

Audio track view +1000

multitrack recording possibilities
ringmod/lfo bpm sync/step option

I still want mono and glide in the instrument section. Yes, I’m well aware of the appropriate pattern commands. I want to be able to play my instrument as I create it and have it act like it’s going to act when I sequence/record it though.

A note in another column can cut off the previously playing note, and the up, down, and glide commands can override the instrument glide.

Doable right? Please? Pleeeeaaase do this?

please don’t mind my lack of photoshop skills, but this is how i would see multirecording in renoise
You choose your inputs and instrument source and hit start to record everything.

I envision a more “analogue” framework when it comes to meta devices. Like spectral signal following with ‘infinite’ resolution. The current system of a couple of fixed parameters being manipulated is a bit tied up. Maybe this would be for 4.0 though :)

Here’s what we’d like to see,

Separate envelopes for all layers of an instrument.
Note probability column or effect command.
Zoom-able pattern editor.
Audio tracks with visual waveform display.
Midi and Audio routing between tracks.
Improved preset/template system with randomization function for all DSP effects.
More than one automation mode at a time(curve, linear, points) per envelope.

haha.

as if this would be a feature list for 3.0

~180 mostly different ideas.

who is gonna read this whole thread anyway?!

sort it and make a poll/vote.