•••Zensphere's Renoise Tutorials•••

Yep, there’s line/beat/bar sync for instruments/phrases. It’s near the mono switch in the instrument editor. That “Q” is for quantize

Yeah, a phrase editor tut is a good idea. Hoping to get back to more videos soon :v:

2 Likes

Yeah man there’s this old daw called Phrazor that handled midi much like Renoise uses Phrases. I used it for years as a kid and low key got accustomed to triggering sequences groove box style. Ever heard of it?

I’m trying to workout a sort live playing workflow and I think Phrases are the way to go.

So if I trigger phrases they’ll begin at the start of a line, beat, or bar and remain in sync? And is there a way to switch between phrases without starting from the beginning of each one? I hope this isn’t a total noob question :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you can trigger phrases so that they are in sync with line, beat or bar using that quantize function in the instrument editor

in this case it’s set to beat, which applies to the note trigger and phrase, depending on how you have your phrases set up. As far as I know, there isn’t a one-shot mode for phrases (does anyone know if there is a way to do this?), so if you were planning to use phrases to play live, you would need to keep holding the note (or maybe use a sustain pedal?) to keep the phrase playing.

yes, but it’s usually done in the pattern editor with the Sxx command in the effect column next to the note trigger, where xx is the line number of the phrase where you want playback to start from. B00 also triggers phrases to play backwards.

If you wanted to trigger variations on a phrase while playing live, I would use multiple phrases set up from whatever start points you want, and then spread them out across the keyboard using phrase keymap mode.

this lets you place different phrases on different notes for ease of triggering.

You can also change the phrase transposition mode to offset, which will play back the phrase from a different line position based on note value

there’s another way, too, using a phrase control doofer, but it’s maybe not so precise if you have more than a couple/few phrases

important point, you can’t change phrases on the fly in the middle of a note event. phrases only trigger with new note events

hope this helps!

never heard of phrazor, but it looks cool :+1:

1 Like

here’s a nerdy one for you all. might be useful to some…

8 Likes

Yo Zensphere. Could you consider making a video talking through your song template (how you group your tracks, what effects you put on them and why)? maybe you could talk about your mixing process in general?

Mixing has been a tricky one for me, especially since there are multiple ways to set your levels.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a good idea. I think I will do a series of videos on some foundational stuff with renoise, and one focused on the mixer, templates, and possibly mixing. Do check out The MIXING thread if you haven’t already. Some good principles consolidated there :v:

2 Likes

Hm, everything about mixing stuff is already in the mixing thread, isn’t it? :wink:

What about some short tutorials of sound design in general? How to make different kinds of basses, how to make different kinds of pads and strings, how to make different kinds of kicks and bassdrums, how to make different kinds of risers and so on. Similar to this video (one of the best YT channels btw). What waveform is recommended to start with and why, what kind of effects and why and so on. Would be interesting if you keep it short. Some fundamentals of sound design, not Renoise specific workarounds and stuff. Just a little overview of how to. Just something showing the way for getting a faster result without try and error and to avoid wasting time while designing. Yes, there’s already a lot of stuff about sound design online, but nothing neatly sorted. The best tutorials I know are these.

After a short break of 25 years in terms of sound design I personally started dealing with it again about one year ago, and I try to force myself using at least a couple of sounds made from scratch in each song. But I’m always busy, so I will never end up in designing sounds for hours or even just for fun (it’s not fun if you ask me, it’s just necessary now and then). I know how to design sounds roughly and I also know some tricks and stuff, but it would be nice to know exactly how to and why in order to save time. Shouldn’t be that hard.

1 Like

:v::alien:

14 Likes
12 Likes

Nice!! All this time I used the convolution reverb for unique reverbs

1 Like

Yeah, there’s tons more you can with it. Suuuper useful device

Yet another good one!

I’ve had a lot of fun & success with using animal sounds as impulse response. I especially like to use snarls & growls on percussive sounds. I find it gives them a bit more texture. Was one of the less obvious ways I snuck in a cat into my submission to MBC14. :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

just wanted to say, these tutorials are extremely amazing and severely helpful. I thank you very much for doing stuff like this. Keep up the great stuff!!!

4 Likes

Thanks! Will do :metal::alien:

2 Likes

hey all, it’s been a minute, but hoping to get back in the swing of making videos more regularly again.
Yes, it’s another sidechain method video, lol, but I think this is the way to go for sidechain ducking (for me at least - maybe for you, too!)

here are the files for free for forum peepz if you want to try this method out
KeyTracked Sidechain.xrnt (9.4 KB)
SC RECEIVER.xrdp (6.5 KB)

peace :v::alien:

9 Likes

Very cool! I mostly use the signal follower to “side-chain”, which works but it can be a hassle to get it to behave the way I want. I tried the keytracking method once and didn’t get it to work. Suspect that might have been due to it receiving the same data over and over again. Gonna try that random input. Thanks MrZensphere!

1 Like
5 Likes

Another good process and video.
Congratulations and thanks

1 Like

Weird,unless the minimum has a value of 1,the lfo seems to continue to climb,and with a maximum value of 255 it only reaches -0.36 db or thereabouts.I came across something similar to this before,im not sure if i was microtuning or what,but i could not hit a zero point exactly before,it was always slightly off.

1 Like

Mr Zensphere:

• Slaps the roof of Renoise *

“This little baby can hold so many hacks AND workarounds”

2 Likes