•••Zensphere's Renoise Tutorials•••

indeed it does :upside_down_face:

mucking about with all the hacky renoise workarounds have helped me understand sound design more than any feature-rich modern synth

Nice tutorials showing the potential the renoise sampler.

For the karplus strong sound, I managed to (perfectly!) tune the multitap delay with a formula device. The highest note is below c6 though, as 1ms is the minimum delay. Look for my ktrk doofer presets, the “Multitap Delay” preset is what tunes the effect like you used it in the video. Just load the preset, and add and assign some macros to the doofer to control the feedback and the filter. You can also adjust the tuning in the formula device, i.e. use transpose, tune to a harmonic, or change the base frequency.

2 Likes

Yes! thanks for posting this in this thread. Dunno if you watched thru til the end of the video, but I do give you a shout out about this :+1:

1 Like

Thanks m8, should have watched till the end before posting

1 Like

all good, bro! glad you posted the link here!

1 Like

new one!

Exploring the AM filters and windowed sinc synthesis

hope you enjoy!

props to @gentleclockdivider for sharing the technique

14 Likes

@slujr I’m loving these videos! I was wondering, are you a teacher? If you’re not, I bet you would be a good one, because you explain stuff very well and clearly with a cadence that keeps the listener engaged.

Thanks for sharing your techniques

1 Like

Ha! Thanks! Yes, I’ve done some teaching, although it’s not my profession presently.

Glad if you’re getting something out of these. It’s been fun making them.

cheers

3 Likes

Exploring granular synthesis in Renoise using phrases and the Sxx command, and an overview of the ReGranulizer xrni

Hope you enjoy!

13 Likes

Just watched the first two tutorials. This stuff is gold! If nothing else, you showed me there is a way to snap to anything other than zero crossings. I never realized that it is a drop down menu. :grimacing:

So for years I’ve been silently grumbling that there is no easy way to do timed edits of a sound. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Turns out there is. That’s a win for me at least. :smiley:

Seriously though, it is inspiring the way you use Renoise for sound design. Definitely incorporating some these techniques in my own work flow. Thanks for these insights and please keep’em coming.

3 Likes

Just a quicky this week. Got a live set to prepare for on Saturday!

This video (no talking) outlines how layered sound sets (a series of samples) can be triggered randomly and probabilistically using the keyzones tab in conjunction with instrument phrases.

Hope you enjoy!

8 Likes

proper tutorial on some generative techniques:

15 Likes

Oh duuuuude. I’m watching all of these.

3 Likes

You’re on a roll there zensphere. Great stuff once again! Though I was familiar with most of these techniques I had no idea you could automate the Phrase pattern number (and control it via a LFO). That is neat stuff. Thanks again for making these videos. Much appreciated!

3 Likes

Thanks! Glad you’re getting something out of them! Renoise has so many little quirks, I feel like the more information that gets shared, the better

3 Likes

Long Live GREAT Tutorials !!!

and zensphere too. As well. Of course.

3 Likes

Haha! Cheers! :beers:

1 Like

new one!

exploring the CDP interface tool for next-level audio processing in Renoise :metal:

hope you enjoy!

11 Likes

Yup, this is wicked stuff! Excellent work once again!

I think I recognize some of the sounds these effects produce. Like you mentioned, it’s easy to end up in Aphex Twin territory. But I also feel like this may have been used in sound design for films back in the 90s. Then again, maybe I’m imaging things. Regardless, this is fun stuff.

1 Like

yes, some of the effects remind me of alien speech from films like district 9 and the geonossians from attack of the clones
I’m sure this suite of fx has seen extensive use in movie sound design

glad if you’re getting something good out of it!

1 Like