•••Zensphere's Renoise Tutorials•••

+1 for routing i/o of doofers

I also think the FX chain routing is a bit more flexible than the modulation side.

This is the only daw I feel completely comfortable using without 3rd party stuff.

1 Like

same here!

modulation is super flexible in renoise, but not always very intuitive in these days of drag and drop modulation… with the meta devices, creative lfo use, and the macro control hack, you can modulate pretty much anything you want (with some important exceptions) in lots of interesting ways in stock renoise. Again, the ingenuity is the secret sauce :slight_smile:

like, for instance, you can have entire instrument fx chains dedicated to modulation of parameters in other fx chains. the sky is really the limit, and labeling everything also really helps. I don’t know how many times I’ve come back to an instrument and looked at the fx section and been like, wtf was I doing here?

1 Like

Facts!

1 Like

OK, let’s try this again, lol. I fucked up the first upload :upside_down_face:

So, I’ve been bitching about the lack of sample warping in renoise, when it turns out it’s pretty easy to implement using the rubberband aid tool.

Useful for correcting timing on breakbeats, percussion loops, vocals, etc.

hope this is useful for someone :slight_smile:

8 Likes

No. Fucking. Way. (sry, just very excited about this). Past week or so have been dedicated to working out how best to do this very thing. @GroovinG has a spectacular vid where he does some of this work using the nudge tool/slices but this opens up the sort of work he (and others) do in something like Logic or Ableton natively in Renoise.

mind assplodes

2 Likes

Ya, it’s a good one, I think. Thanks to @dltfm for making such an awesome tool. I’m hoping some intrepid coder makes an even more flexible xrnt implementation of the rubberband code oriented more directly around warping (wink wink, nudge nudge), but for now, this does the job. I realized after posting that you can use this same method without trying to match the loop bpm, just warping at the song bpm, as long as you know how many beats your loop is. Saves a step :slight_smile:

3 Likes

showing a different method of fm synthesis, which allows for easier control of the modulator waveform. All modulation is relegated to the instrument fx section through macro bridging

hope this is useful for someone!

8 Likes

Followed along and saved it as an instrument. Appreciate all the videos and music you make <3

2 Likes

Using @slujr’s video, and some connection help from Zensphere themself, I was able to knock out a little sample FM drum/fartbox - makes some really amazing sounds paired with actual drum samples, and various other synthesized samples.

No, it’s not an 808, no it doesn’t make typical drum sounds. Think of it as more of a ‘modular’ percussive generator.

Sure, you can put in a single-cycle waveform, but you’ll just get the same results, but less interesting. Think of this at an atonal FM generator, and you’ll have loads of fun.

I HIGHLY recommend using the AD-NG Almost Drums generator(s) with this. Make a drum, or an FM sound, or a Karplus sound, and then FM it up even more. It’ll be beautiful.

Sample FM.xrni (7.1 KB)

@taktik - some sort of variation of this placed inside some sort of Device would be wonderful, rather than us building it ramshackle with LFOs, etc. No need for melodic material; what a wonderful sound generator this is.

3 Likes

neat! you should post up some example sounds :slight_smile:

@slujr Alright, did a super-boring, long video! :smiley:

8 Likes

cool stuff. it’s always interesting to see how other people work in renoise :+1:

some nice sounds coming out of this, too!

2 Likes

Would be awesome if we could see how you get down with the Phrase Editor. I would like to see how you compose a track with just Phrases.

Wonder if there’s a way/tool to trigger phrases in sync to lines, beats, and measures i.e. Ableton Live :thinking:

1 Like

Yep, there’s line/beat/bar sync for instruments/phrases. It’s near the mono switch in the instrument editor. That “Q” is for quantize

Yeah, a phrase editor tut is a good idea. Hoping to get back to more videos soon :v:

2 Likes

Yeah man there’s this old daw called Phrazor that handled midi much like Renoise uses Phrases. I used it for years as a kid and low key got accustomed to triggering sequences groove box style. Ever heard of it?

I’m trying to workout a sort live playing workflow and I think Phrases are the way to go.

So if I trigger phrases they’ll begin at the start of a line, beat, or bar and remain in sync? And is there a way to switch between phrases without starting from the beginning of each one? I hope this isn’t a total noob question :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you can trigger phrases so that they are in sync with line, beat or bar using that quantize function in the instrument editor

in this case it’s set to beat, which applies to the note trigger and phrase, depending on how you have your phrases set up. As far as I know, there isn’t a one-shot mode for phrases (does anyone know if there is a way to do this?), so if you were planning to use phrases to play live, you would need to keep holding the note (or maybe use a sustain pedal?) to keep the phrase playing.

yes, but it’s usually done in the pattern editor with the Sxx command in the effect column next to the note trigger, where xx is the line number of the phrase where you want playback to start from. B00 also triggers phrases to play backwards.

If you wanted to trigger variations on a phrase while playing live, I would use multiple phrases set up from whatever start points you want, and then spread them out across the keyboard using phrase keymap mode.

this lets you place different phrases on different notes for ease of triggering.

You can also change the phrase transposition mode to offset, which will play back the phrase from a different line position based on note value

there’s another way, too, using a phrase control doofer, but it’s maybe not so precise if you have more than a couple/few phrases

important point, you can’t change phrases on the fly in the middle of a note event. phrases only trigger with new note events

hope this helps!

never heard of phrazor, but it looks cool :+1:

1 Like

here’s a nerdy one for you all. might be useful to some…

8 Likes

Yo Zensphere. Could you consider making a video talking through your song template (how you group your tracks, what effects you put on them and why)? maybe you could talk about your mixing process in general?

Mixing has been a tricky one for me, especially since there are multiple ways to set your levels.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a good idea. I think I will do a series of videos on some foundational stuff with renoise, and one focused on the mixer, templates, and possibly mixing. Do check out The MIXING thread if you haven’t already. Some good principles consolidated there :v:

2 Likes

Hm, everything about mixing stuff is already in the mixing thread, isn’t it? :wink:

What about some short tutorials of sound design in general? How to make different kinds of basses, how to make different kinds of pads and strings, how to make different kinds of kicks and bassdrums, how to make different kinds of risers and so on. Similar to this video (one of the best YT channels btw). What waveform is recommended to start with and why, what kind of effects and why and so on. Would be interesting if you keep it short. Some fundamentals of sound design, not Renoise specific workarounds and stuff. Just a little overview of how to. Just something showing the way for getting a faster result without try and error and to avoid wasting time while designing. Yes, there’s already a lot of stuff about sound design online, but nothing neatly sorted. The best tutorials I know are these.

After a short break of 25 years in terms of sound design I personally started dealing with it again about one year ago, and I try to force myself using at least a couple of sounds made from scratch in each song. But I’m always busy, so I will never end up in designing sounds for hours or even just for fun (it’s not fun if you ask me, it’s just necessary now and then). I know how to design sounds roughly and I also know some tricks and stuff, but it would be nice to know exactly how to and why in order to save time. Shouldn’t be that hard.

1 Like