- fixed Launchpad controller (thanks danoise)
2.0 Beta 2
- Updated/Tested on Renoise 2.8 beta 8
- Handle closing of song while Cells! is running
- Fixed preferences not initialised before rendering patterns bug
- Updated the controller API and associated documentation (also added to this post)
- Updated Ohm64 support for the new controller API
- Updated Launchpad support for the new controller API (to be tested)
2.0 Beta 1.1
- Quick fix release which fixes a bug making note patterns on Renoise 2.8 beta 7
2.0 Beta 1
- Inital public release of Cells! 2.0
Cells! 2.0 is a complete rewrite of Cells! 0.9. This has been based upon further code experimentation and user feedback. However, due to the improved approach and cleaner code, it has been possible to add many more features.
Thanks to Void Pointer for kindly supplying the samples used in the demo video
Major New Features
Realtime 'Granular' Timestretch
Cells! 2.0 allows realtime timestretch in a 'granular style'. This allows full independant control of both tempo and pitch while still keeping playback syncronised to the beat. Granular timestretch applies to samples which have both a beat sync value and autoseek enabled but beat sync is disabled.
Realtime 'Slice Based' Timestretch
Similar to the 'granular' timestretch, Cells! 2.0 adds support for sliced loops with independant tempo and pitch control. Each slice will be played back at the correct time to maintain the overall tempo of the entire loop. Slice-stretch applies to samples which are sliced. The length of the cell is assigned through the beat-sync value.
Pattern 'Riff' Storage and Playback
Cells! 2.0 allows you to quickly save individual pattern tracks as riffs for use live in Cells!. The riffs are stored in compressed format within the instrument itself, so you can quickly and easily save all samples, sample mappings and riffs self-contained within a single XRNI file. Note that any Renoise instrument is be supported. This means you should be able to send note riffs to external instruments or VSTi's.
Live Jamming Mode
For specific types of samples, Cells! 2.0 allows real-time 'live jamming' playback mode. Play your samples directly with either the mouse or a physical controller for improvising over your mixes to add that extra sparkle. Individual slices from sliced loops and plain one-shot samples can be played in 'live jamming' mode.
Bidirectional Controller Support
Cells! 2.0 now has it's own native controller framework. This allows full bidirectional support for supported hardware controllers. Livid Instruments Ohm64 and Novation Launchpad (beta) are available with the inital release. If you would like further support for any additional controllers, feel free to either send them to me for development or contact me directly to work together and implement support.
[edit: controller API - 'doc/controler-api.txt]
Cells! 2.0 incorporates a simple 'DJ style' effects processor into the main UI. Effects supported are a low-pass filter, beat repeat, delay and phaser. All effects are controlled through simple common amount and rate controls. All time based effects are syncronised to the beat.
Sample Preparation Tools
Cells! 2.0 incorporates simple methods to quickly create and prepare samples for use. Both the sample editor and the sample list box contain a 'Cells! menu' from which the sample can easily assigned to a specific playback mode and length. A 'sample report' feature is also available which allows you to quickly identify how the selected sample will play within Cells! 2.0.
Additionally, Cells! 2.0 allows quick rendering of either entire patterns or specific tracks within patterns from your existing songs. Only the instrument of the first note within the pattern track will be saved. It will automatically assign the correct beat sync values even if the original song is not written at 4 LPB. All rendered samples will be contained within an 'Unsorted Cells! Renders' instrument within the song to easily allow saving of all samples to disk. This menu is present in the pattern editor context menu.
Multiplayer Networking (beta)
Cells! 2.0 has built in support for up to four machines to link together over a lan (via OSC) and keep in sync. Make huge mixes across multiple machines or get some friends around and all play together. Setup network connections on the master and ensure Renoise OSC servers are running on all machines.
- Variable channels from 4 to 16.
- Variable cells per channel from 4 to 16.
- Variable cell height and width (for touch screen usage).
- Automatic sample selection option (for waveform view in the sample editor).
- Safe cueing option to automatically mute cue output if set to the same as the main audio output.
- Single output mode (splits the audio so master output on one channel and cue output on the other).
- Slightly tweaked user interface to cater for the additional features.
- Better audio routing (A/B crossfader or crossfader bypass (M))
- Various other optimisations (too many to list)
The tool can be downloaded from its tools page here.
Download the updated 2.0 beta manual here.
There are many people I wish to thank who have assisted or supported Cells! during it's development. In no particular order: taktik, dblue, danoise, void pointer, miron_man, Peter Kirn, Livid Instruments and everyone on #renoise. Sorry if I have missed anyone.