Dead Dog'S Renoise Competition Round 14

Voting is over.

Winner is The Bellow with entry no.5

Congratulation to you and all entries for a nice and varied round.

Next rule set to be delivered to me via inbox, next round to start 12noon UK time Thursday 2nd June 2011.

1. E.H.V.A.H. SDC
  2. DubKidFlash
  3. Rhowladt
  4. Cocoa
    5. TheBellows

Tracking over, entries in, download the pack and get voting.

Deadline for voting is 12noon UK time Tuesday 31st May.

(Busy busy busy! But not too much later than promised…)

Rules:
Tempo: Any
Genre: Any
Time Signature: Any
Compulsory Sample: None.
Basic Rules: Renoise only. All features, functions, DSPs etc of Renoise allowed. No samples provided, recordings of your own voice, mouth, thorax to be used.
Additional Rules: Samples of your own voice recorded by yourself only.
Submissions: Please submit links for download to me via PM so we can keep voting closed. Audio file accepted, preferably mp3 at 320kbs; other encodings and rates acceptable. .XRNS submissions also accepted, preferably alongside an audio file but in isolation only (allowing Demo users to join in.) Would be extra nice if people can provide both.

Deadline: 12pm (Noon) UK time Tuesday 24th May 2011.

Happy tracking (and recording.)

Thank you kazakore! :)
I would say it’s ok to record your girlfriends voice or maybe your pet too, the point is just to be creative with the most primitive yet the most complex instrument in existence.

There are so many things to do with a voice, think Windowlicker, Tuvan throat singing, accapella, beat boxing…

Some clips for inspiration:

http://youtu.be/5su8TLVXsv0

Good luck to everyone!

really awesome rule man! glad you said i could use my pet’s voice too, as i got some nice dog-growling audio laying around that is waiting to be used for something. of course i’ll also use my own.

just a tip for mic-less people: before i had my Zoom H4 portable recorder, i used to record stuff just through my laptop’s webcam-mic. yes, it’s fuzzy and noisy and whatnot, but you can muck around with the settings to get some of that out (giving you strange metallic effects in the process, if you dig that), and, frankly, imo, when making music a skill you should learn is masking sounds so they sound better than when you just hear them solo. same thing goes for noisy vocals. experiment with EQ/filtering, and just layer some shit up to mask the crappiness of the sound.

good luck to all who decide to join in!

edit: in addition to the videos from TheBellows, i just wanted to add one inspirational video that really did it for me, from a show i am still not sure how much i like it and a song that i hated before i heard this version. check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_kWC4_aOdI

By voice should I hear mouth ? Because most of beatbox technics don’t use vocal cords but tongue/lips/teeth/blowing and I don’t know if you consider that as voice or not.

by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGds2GAvGQ :)

let me take the liberty to answer that: if he had not meant ‘mouth’, he wouldn’t have added the beatbox-video (imo). still, always good to clear these issues up right away. he should’ve said ‘made with your mouth’ instead of ‘made with your voice’.

From the full Rules section.

“recordings of your own voice, mouth, thorax to be used.”

Body-noises could be an interesting one for a later round… ;)

Ah you’re right! I forgot he sets the rules and beat my ass last round !
should I return to my cave ?

Yes, by voice i meant to include nasal sounds and throat sounds and whichever sound you can make with your mouth. :)

Damn, this rule sounds great, and I also got some great sounds of dogs barking and growling in their sleep, hehe, but I don’t think I can make it. Tomorrow morning I’m off to Berlin till Tuesday. Unfortunately not attending Music Hackday the next weekend, not visiting taktik and dblue (and whoever may show up) there, not offering them a can of beer, but instead helping my girlfriend’s mom moving to a new flat. :ph34r:

Happy tracking to you, I’m looking forward to hear what you guys sound like! ;)

It’s the national day here in Norway, that means day off and i have been sitting in my dungeon tracking and making silly noises all day. :P

summons Moss for a good old fasioned Larynx compo :lol:

Ahh shit! I just made a tune with my voice! I’ve left my microphone in Sligo! Bollocks!

Fuck
Yes
So
Down
Doing this!

that’s actually a nice title for a song using just your voice. maybe you should consider it.

i’ve fought through a night lacking of inspiration and came out the winner with some really cool samples and a pretty cool song. still tweaking it and all, but this competition round is really one of the best (imo) in terms of rules. said it before, but i don’t mind.

That’s why we had larynx beats compo’s a while back :lol:

Yeah did think of those when the rule was first mentioned, forgot it was Moss who ran them, not seen or heard from him in ages!

Some of the links are still alive so may be good for ideas. Think it had the rule “sounds had to be recognisable” unlike this one though…

I’ve recorded everything with a crappy SM58 i found in a dumpster, it hasn’t got very good dynamic range, but i’m surprised how great sounds i could make anyway, the drum sounds better than most sample packs and my lead and bass are so much more organic and dynamic than my usual chip sounds.
I also found out that “out of tune” is not nessesarily a bad thing. :P

@TheBellows: yeah that one kickdrum sound i made with my throat sounds absolutely awesome (after i filtered out all of the low frequency noise and stuff from the recording)!

You should hear my snare! :lol:
I really have no idea i could make such sound with my mouth, but some compressing and layering does wonders.

Did you filter out the low frequencies in the bdrum? :P

hehehe, yeah i know how it sounds but i’m talking about the sub-bass frequencies that were rumbling away down there because of, well, i don’t know, something to do with the way i recorded it. i never record stuff so i’m not sure what i’m talking about here. anyway, rest assured that the bassdrum still has enough bass (and drum for that matter).