Erm, I Sort Of Figured Out Sidechaining (if You Have The Time)

Yo.

I am currently making a track with a huge bass that needs chaining to the kick.

I managed to “sidechain” the bass by just entering a string of volume adjustments on the bass channel every time the kick occurs…

On my screen, everytime the kick occurs, I make the bass duck by entering a volume command which returns back to the standard volume. The amount of steps that it takes to return is obviously my choice, and is sort of like tuning the release.

:)

If anyone can find fault with this method PLEASE let me know.

The only thing I can see at the moment is that it is time consuming, not automatic, and maybe not reach the resolution of a dedicated plug in unless you are running at speed 1 (can someone tell me about this please!?)

Cheers

For increasing the resolution you can use automation instead of pattern commands. For a good example see this thread: http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…c=10240&hl=

Unfortunately, this isn’t sidechaining at all, and won’t do things like adjust parameters based on things like the volume of live inputted vocals.

yup,

this is a good idea for workaround… (for sidechaining-like results)

but it’s not even nearly the same as having real sidechain.

When rewire is implemented this would not be a problem anymore… =)

I think the problem here is that few people know what sidechaining is… due to so many false “sidechaining is just ducking the bass to the kick” definitions that float around the net. In reality, sidechaining is the ability to route the incoming signal to any parameter… and until we have proper routing or a sidechain metadevice (preferably both :P) the sidechain issue can not be considered resolved. It’s generally annoying though, when I see many threads proclaiming to solve the sidechaining issue that are simply tutorials on how to do curve automations.

so is proper side-chaining planned taktik?
so we can finally shut byte-smasher up

You will hardly find anything that is not planned. The question is /when/ it will be implanted. I can not promise anything here, as usual, sorry…

:lol:

One workaround. (And I’m sorry if I have not understood the functioning of this feature correctly) Would be to disable the input of midi cc to a track when the record midi controllers is selected in the midi menu. (Now it disables the recording only, but not the “step” input of CC’s.)

We already have a sidechaining that functions with 128 instances, but the only problem is that the CC’s get recorded everytime the user presses space when using these midi workarounds.

So finetuning this disable recording feature would make it possible. (If it is a bug, then just bugfixing this will solve situation. I have not reported this though because I think it might be that I have not understood the functioning of this correctly)

[quote="#<0x000056284eed4e60>, post:9, topic:21009"]

One workaround. (And I’m sorry if I have not understood the functioning of this feature correctly) Would be to disable the input of midi cc to a track when the record midi controllers is selected in the midi menu. (Now it disables the recording only, but not the “step” input of CC’s.)

We already have a sidechaining that functions with 128 instances, but the only problem is that the CC’s get recorded everytime the user presses space when using these midi workarounds.

So finetuning this disable recording feature would make it possible. (If it is a bug, then just bugfixing this will solve situation. I have not reported this though because I think it might be that I have not understood the functioning of this correctly)
[/quote]

May this be related to the part where pattern follow mode affects meta devices in automation or effect column? It sounds a bit fuzzy to me because i cannot really relate pressing spacebar with an external device affecting input cc’s so here’s just my idea that may be of help but if i understood incorrectly then apologise for that:

Try changing this button into and see if this makes a difference when using the space bar.</0x000056284eed4e60>

Hi yeah I will try this (altough I think I tried everything possible already)

To clarify: I’m using the space mode of FT2.

Will post results back later. If this works I’ll post an e-z tutorial also…

[quote="#<0x00005628513c6340>, post:11, topic:21009"]

Hi yeah I will try this (altough I think I tried everything possible already)

To clarify: I’m using the space mode of FT2.

Will post results back later. If this works I’ll post an e-z tutorial also…
[/quote]

Weirdest stuff… Now it works

hmmhmmhmm…

Last time I checked it recorded the notes randomly, but gotta say this might be my bad aswell.

Using jUltram it seems that you can really have a non latency sidechain. I think this needs few more evenings of testing before posting a tutorial, but those who want to try, might wanna do so.

1. Download jUltram
  2. Install MIDIYOKE
  3. Go to windows control panel and set MIDIYOKE 1 as your default midi output

(IMPORTANT. this way you will avoid the built in bug of jUltram to resetting the values to the main midi output when a song is saved.
  4. Put jUltram into a send channel
  5. Send your KICK to that channel
  6. Set MIDIYOKE 1 - CHANNEL 1 as the output of jUltram (it should be that by default. I haven’t checked this, but: You might want to use channel 1 just to make sure it does not reset this aswell)
  7. Insert GAINER plug-in to bass track
  8. Select gainer and press Ctrl+M to assign the controller sent by jUltram to the GAIN slider - REMEMBER: 2 USE INVERSE.

note: also you must use MIDIYOKE 1 as the main input of renoise. Also check that record controllers is off.

EDIT: One more step Important to note:

Allways, set MIDI output in jUltram to “TRUE”
    =)

Also when recording the CC’s for multiple instances, Mute every other send devices except the one you are recording. Or add the CC to control the values manually.

Okay…

Latency free sidechain with 128 instances…

Have fun an I hope this works.

I’m not sure what fixed the midi recording bug for me this time, but use the tip provided by vV. Seemed to fix it for me…

Actually I use the same spacebar mode - but twiddling that button seemed to do something to fix the “recording” of CC when space is pressed… or perhaps I had a midi loopback

Anyhow… Everyone should check this out.

Sidechain (for any parameter on any plug-in) without latency =)

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:</0x00005628513c6340>

is the sidechaining feature coming soon??(please devs)

Don’t hold your breath SNS…native sidechaining, done properly, is fairly complex stuff that involves routing of audio signals. Also, sidechaining is in fact several things - compressor ducking, gating, and with extreme settings, the effect known from Call On Me (but I’d bet that Eric Prydz actually handcrafted that, and often, real hardware compressors have MIDI inputs for that extra control - which is essentially the same as the LFO controlling the volume with a custom envelope).

yes its not a easy thing to do,but i really hope that renoise will get a native sidechaining comp

Hmm… Just throw in some Ubuntu, Jack, and Om, and you have sidechainer in 10 seconds.

http://surnuaed.ee/sidechain.png
http://surnuaed.ee/sidechain.mp3

I only wish that Renoise would play better with Jack. Have to write down the problems and send them to TakTik.

im not gonna use the linux version,but the windows version

For now I am using the TC Native Bundle for sidechaining (as I have said countless times before).

It works fine (aside from the shitty Key Input bug, which is not a big issue)

I would much prefer an internal solution though.

This post made me think. I draw my ‘side-chain’ manually. Good enough for now. But how about this:

Create a meta device with audio input.
Set a minimum and maximum volume threshold in dB.
The meta device will create an LFO based on the audio input between the min and max thresholds.
You can narrow the lfo’s range with a percentage button or whatever to increase it’s flexibility.
The generated lfo can be assigned to a certain parameter as the regular lfo can.
And an invert LFO button would be nice too to create the opposite effect :).

Such a feature would most definately have a LOT of creative purposes. Volume controlled filters, side chaining, pitch. Whatever!!
And compared to regular side chain vst’s this would probably be very CPU efficient as well :)

Like this (msPaint ftw):

Posted as suggestion:
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…mp;gopid=115456

yes please make a internal solution,it would be really helpfull,and a really usefull thing to have